The President addresses the Nation

by designs 257 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

So given that the black vote is so important do people honestly think there is still systematic discrimination toward blacks today? Usually the people with the important votes hold the power and there is a black president and black people in every high office imaginable ... doesn't that weaken the claims of discrimination and subjugation?

From what I've heard, stories of discrimination sound unfair and overstated - that is, they can be everyday events that happen to everyone but are interpretted by some as happening 'because they are black' (and questioning the validity of claims brings more accusations of racism).

Claims of unfair treatment under the law sound unfair but the cases held up as examples fall apart under scrutiny or the stats and policies show the opposite (eg black youths not even charged to massage the crime figures).

Increased number of stop and search of one group sounds biased until you look at the stats and see this small minority committing 95% of a crime ... wouldn't it be silly not to focus efforts in the most practical way possible?

Claims that it's ongoing white domination sound a little hollow when the areas with the biggest problems have huge black majority populations and black leaders / government.

Claims that crimes involving white targetting of blacks an epedemic show the exact opposite when we look at the statistics and all show black crime out of control and the biggest problem.

Yes, the past was ugly but it is the past and was forgotten and erased when a political party passed a bill yet things are brought up for matters that are obviously disconnected and simple law and order issues. Why does it only seem to be brought up and used as a club to bollster weak claim of racism in the modern day?

So we come back to what the president alluded to - why are black youths turning to crime and violence? What is wrong or missing with their upbringing? Why are people looking for a crime that didn't happen?

I would add: why does it appear that some people are being brought up to see and claim racism at every opportunity?

I know it's the thing no one is supposed to mention and point out ... but that never makes something untrue.

There are laws specifically targetting racism which can and should be used but only when racism has actually happened. They should not be used as a fallback for regular cases when the virdict doesn't suit a group solely on racial grounds. Are those laws being applied equally to racist crimes on both sides? Are there stats for those convictions and do they match the inter-racial crime stats?

BTW: I understand some will find the content of this post inflamatory ... in which case they should easily be able to point out the flaws in arguments, statistics or logic without insults.

• designs
    designs

Two African American pastors spoke on that issue this weekend and that a black only perspective can block a person's judgement as to real faults. One of the pastors used the example of a person being above God and the Holy Spirit when they do not see the fault in the perpetrator (which he thinks Treyvon Martin was at fault).

We have in this country 40-50% of young black men not finishing High School which sets in motion all sorts of social ills as they grow into their 20s. But why are High Schools and the lower grades either failing youths in terms of stimulating the young minds to see a future for themselves or why is their better offers in the short term to a life in crime. In San Diego County for instance why are our tax dollars, earmarked for schools, spent on providing some schools in wealthy areas with the best in a facility and others in poor areas neglected, and what message does a young mind pick up on with that type of discrimination.

It takes so little to crush a young person's asperations and self-image and a herculean effort to convince a young mind that they can accomplish great things in their life.

• designs
    designs

If we can use ourselves as an example of our aspirations being hindered because of the Wt. view on education- how many of us did not go on to college but struggled with hard low paying jobs that were not our true calling. Then years later, in our 40s-60s we get it together and go to college and start new careers. I think many JWs and xJWs can relate to discrimination, religious in nature, and the herculean effort we have all made to better ourselves.

• wasblind
    wasblind

So given that the black vote is so important do people honestly think there is still systematic discrimination toward blacks today?___Simon

Yes, there is also systematic discrimination against other races too like in the past

One of the things that led to the demise of reconstuction for blacks in the south

was that people of the North eventually lost interest in the affairs of the south

Northerners were now forced to deal wit immigrants that flooded the shores

of America. Sound familiar ????? Today it's the Mexican border instead of Ellis Island

These Northeners claimed that these immigrants contributed to the social evils

like crime , poverty, and social unrest

It was time to do somethin' about this immigration problem

It's the " Same mess, different day " in this country

Folks like Justice Scalia refuse to see that

Racism has not gone anywhere, it went undercover and morphed

to where they can get around the new laws

The ugly head of racism has boldly shown it's head scince Obama

has been in the White house

Now folks scared that when he leaves, they won't be able

to get the BBQ sauce outta the carpets

Oh MY

• Simon
    Simon

That's a good analogy but still begs the question 'why'. Many people are disadvantaged in some way such as not being able to persue education - I left high school to work on a farm despite being accademically gifted. Am I bitter about it? Hell yeah! Did it affect my life? Of course! Have I turned to a life of crime and violence? No, well - not yet ...

The US 'invests' more in locking prisoners up than on educating people and preventing them from becoming prisoners. Prisons and education are both industries and one see's more profit in poor black kids than the other.

But, I think its simplistic to blame the education system alone. People who desire an education can get enough of one to make a difference to their lives IMO but it seems there isn't the desire for some or the understanding of the importance of working to get one.

I guess this feeds into other issues then - people perceiving sports, music or crime as more glamorous and better to 'attain' which is sad but a reflection of society at large.

Although racial stereotyping is unfair, the perception of asians being hard working and studious could be based on some pattern which then creates different outcomes. Stereotypes usually have some basis in truth - an asian driver in a Toyota corrolla going 10mph under the speed limit for instance. As a colleage of mine told me - her kids said 'tripple O' when they were behind a slow driver. They sheepishly explained when pressed that it stood for Old, Oriental and Ovaries - and they are chinese!

When prominent black people vocalise that kids should be respectful and work hard in school they are turned on and criticised. Is it really so taboo wanting to do well? Do some consider it a weird form of betrayal? I never understood the reaction to Bill Cosby's speech and guess I still don't other than it not fitting in with the explanation that some like to give for failings.

• Simon
    Simon

Voter turnout in black and white areas are roughly equal, higher in some areas for black voters. Is that still a problem or is the problem that people think it will fall if protections are now removed?

• wasblind
    wasblind

Voter turnout in black and white areas are roughly equal, higher in some areas for black voters. Is that still a problem or is the problem that people think it will fall if protections are now removed?___Simon

As in the past, In order to destroy the opposition

you have to remove the protections that keep them strong

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Speaking of George Zimmerman, he is in the news again!!! Will he ever learn? He and another guy just saved a family of four from an overturned and burning vehicle.

I wonder if he was thinking whether he should just mind his own business, do nothing and wait for the cops?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-emerged-hiding-rescue-family-trapped-suv/story?id=19735432

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/22/19618495-zimmerman-emerges-to-save-motorist-in-sanford-fla?lite

• glenster
    glenster

Zimmerman emerges to help family escape overturned car in Sanford, Fla.

Police say George Zimmerman helped rescue a family trapped in an overturned ve-
    hicle off a Florida highway last week, Zimmerman's first known public sighting
    since his acquittal in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.

The incident occurred on July 17 in Sanford, Fla., near the intersection of In-
    terstate 4 and State Road 46, officials confirmed to NBC News. The rescue was
    first reported by ABC News.

Zimmerman and another man were assisting a family of four when officers with
    the Seminole County Sheriff's Office arrived on the scene of the accident. A
    blue Ford Explorer had traveled off the road and rolled over, according to offi-
    cials.

Zimmerman and the other man were helping the two children and their parents get
    out of the overturned vehicle, the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office said. The
    former neighborhood watch volunteer left the scene after making contact with po-
    lice and did not witness the crash.

There were no injuries to any of the vehicle’s occupants, according to police.

A Seminole County jury found Zimmerman not guilty July 13 in the death of 17-
    year-old Martin. Zimmerman said he shot Martin in self-defense on Feb. 26, 2012.

Since then, Zimmerman’s family has said the 29-year-old was in hiding and had
    received death threats. Zimmerman’s parents said in an interview that they don’t
    even know where their son is hiding.

The verdict has prompted rallies and protests. Protests in Los Angeles and Oak-
    land, Calif., turned violent as demonstrators called for an overhaul of the jus-
    tice system and repeal of Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” self-defense law.
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/22/19618495-zimmerman-emerges-to-help-family-escape-overturned-car-in-sanford-fla?lite

Maybe he related to somebody pinned down who couldn't get up.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Some articles are saying that the vehicle was burning, and other news sources are editing out that part after first having reported that detail. Odd. Here is a quote about it burning from another newspaper.

George Zimmerman helps family from burning car after accident

Police say George Zimmerman helped rescue a family trapped in a burning vehicle on a Florida highway last week, Zimmerman's first known public sighting since his acquittal in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, according to NBC News.

Zimmerman and another man were assisting a family of four when officers arrived on the scene of the accident. The vehicle had traveled off the road, rolled over and caught fire, NBC News reports.

http://newsok.com/george-zimmerman-helps-family-from-burning-car-after-accident/article/3864737

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit