The President addresses the Nation

by designs 257 Replies latest social current

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

White slavery and Indian slavery and every other type of slavery in the USA was just that. Slavery. When it was determined that no more white slaves could be brought into the country legally as slaves, the term 'indentured servant' was introduced - however, these 'servant's' were bought and sold by their owners so that the vast majority were never released from the bonds of servitude. Most died 'servants'. As white slaves became fewer, black slaves became cheaper.

The poor really have no color except when it comes to politics/money and power. Then it is much more beneficial to divide them into color in order to exploit them and separate them - a fact that was noticed early on in America by the politicians. The attempt to divide the people based on culture did not work - which is why the Irish finally succeeded in throwing off much of the prejudice directed at them. Not all of it but much of it. It was far easier to divide and conquer if they simply aimed their activities at those based on color - which is why it is white and black and brown today.

Until basic simple facts are recognized and understood nobody moves on. People will hold to their own prejudices as it suits them. I have no problem with Obama having told his personal experiences in his book - but as a leader, I certainly see him as part of the problem with that speech instead of being part of the solution. sw

---

In 1855, Frederic Law Olmsted, the landscape architect who designed New York's Central Park, was in Alabama on a pleasure trip and saw bales of cotton being thrown from a considerable height into a cargo ship's hold. The men tossing the bales somewhat recklessly into the hold were Negroes, the men in the hold were Irish.

Olmsted inquired about this to a shipworker. "Oh," said the worker, "the niggers are worth too much to be risked here; if the Paddies are knocked overboard or get their backs broke, nobody loses anything."

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

If our president wants to start talking about racism and the terrible injustices of the past and present, maybe he should try opening his eyes. He was not oppressed, he lived a charmed life compared to most of us .

He WAS NOT TM.

W hile I understand what you are saying, the difference is that Irish people were were not actually bought and sold, nor were their families split up. They were eventually able to assimilate. The extreme prejudice they encountered was do to the mass number of people who came here in the late 1800's, as time went on, they were accepted like most immigrant groups. I am of Irish decent, but who would know? I face no discrimination today due to it. On the other hand, black people still face discrimination, so while you may think Obama led a "charmed life", he still had people follow him in stores, he still faced discrimination. I don't know what you think he had growing up, that you do not, his family was not wealthy.

I think that it why this case is such an issue for so many, they have had a brother, or a son, or themselves been followed because someone was suspicious because of the color of their skin, so of course they think he was completely innocent, that is understandable. I honestly feel the jury reached the correct verdict, I do think Zimmerman feared for his life, but I also understand those who cannot see that, because of their past experiences. It was a complex case, with no easy answers.

I am glad the President addressed this problem, there are far too many black young men dying, it just doesn't get the media excited because often they are killed by another black young man. Whether the young man man killed was involved in gangs or not, nobody seems to find it newsworthy. We should be getting upset about that, everyone should be getting upset about that, this is a national tragedy.

• Violia
    Violia

I have relayed this experience before but will briefly tell it again. Once in our marriage my husband was out of work for 1.5 yrs ( had exhausted unemployment) and we were starving, seriously. There are few social services in my state and they call you the N word if you are white and apply for help.( as recently as Hurricane *** by DIL tried to get help & was asked if she was a N'ger- not kidding )

.I was standing in line for food stamps with a younger black man, him mid 20's possibly 30, me about 35. I saw the lady at the counter and she was a mean stern looking older white woman . I lowered my head and more or less did the shuffle. The young black man recognized it immediately and asked me why was I doing that b/c I was white. I said, yes I am white but I am poor white and they hate me maybe more than they hate you. He was shocked and said " they just own the whole world- they hate everyone " and I said, "yes they own the world and hate everyone."

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

Viola who is they?

• glenster
  • designs
    designs

SW- I think the President set a tone for opening these issues up to be dealt with within families and groups and nationally. It was refreshing to hear him speak this way. Sure it brings old wounds to the surface but it needs to be spoken and read about.

Viola- I hope you find better times ahead. It is tough going through hard times, we had families living with us through the bad recession in the early 90s. I/we ate so many potatoes its a wonder I can even look at one today.

• Violia
    Violia

they in this particular case was the wealthy elite whites race . If I said this now I would more than likely just say the rich hate the poor. I found this out working in medical- I found out the medical profession which was made up of mostly middle and upper class folks, hates the poor. I found a Bill Cosby interview on education and black youths. I thought it was very good, and I note he has finally made gave an opinion about the TM tragedy- he feels it is as gun issue not a race issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itWCvkK44lE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfOf0sNSR4c

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Public schools are great....

• Violia
  • designs
    designs

For us xjws we are seeing, and many of us participating in, the great national issues of our times. Civil and Human Rights issues. How do we want the Country to be- access to a good educational system for all, health care, voting rights, women's rights, equal pay for equal work, same sex marriages, the extent and limits of the 2nd Amendment.

I like that we are engaged and active, we are no longer just passengers on a train.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit