Zimmerman Not guilty

by mouthy 480 Replies latest social current

• valkyrie
    valkyrie
    This whole thing about race is ridiculous. Zimmerman was a latino. One minority against another? That is not what racism is.
    But the blacks don't even learn a lesson from this. If their race is not to be profiled, why are they out with hoodies and protesting and causing problems?
    I don't have a problem with blacks. Saw many of them at the District convention. If Trayvon was at the DC or meetings or in field service or in family worship, he would never have had this problem. Worldly Blacks have always had an image problem, which is why Bill Cosby has said the things he said about them.

You make "them" sound otherworldly. Why should you have a problem with "them"? "They" are neither a horde of mosqitoes, nor shingles - so what are they to you, or you to them? They are just individuals. Aren't you an individual, or do you also identify yourself as merely a pixel in a hue on a color wheel?

• Simon
    Simon

'they' make themselves different when 'they' try to turn non-race issues into race issues.

As soon as someone says race-issue, don't most people, if honest, immediately think 'black'?

Maybe people shoukd focus in things being people issues. Civil Rights has been corrupted - it originally was to literally have the same rights as white people such as to vote, to sit on a bus, to go to public pools etc... Now it means what? To be treated differently under the law? Why?

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

" Now it means what? To be treated differently under the law? Why?"

My vote: Because if there were no race issues, Al Not-So-Sharpton would be out of a job (and others like him). Take away his blackness, and he's nothing.

• Simon
    Simon

I'm entitled to an opinion and other people have been free to express their own too. Some try to twist the interpretation of what people say and sometimes people respond to a heated topic with exaggerated opinion in response to or to counter others.

My view is very simple: people should be entitled to fair treatment under the law, not have lies spread about them and be free from media spin. When I see people being abused by an individual or a group and others excusing, condoning or even encouraging such abuse it makes me angry. I loose my patience when people blab their opinion on an important issue but obviously haven't bothered to gather the facts or respect the decisions made by those who had more facts to look at.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Giordiano,

Since when is posting opinions a "sin" in the world of a supposedly "free to be" internet forum?

People can disagree with Simon, they can agree, or remain indifferent. What really matters is that this forum is one place where you can post any of those opinons. Arguements should be ok, even encouraged, as long as they remain impersonal (not attacking the person, but the subject matter only)

Isn't the freedom to think for yourelf of huge importance to those who came from an envronment which depressed and discouraged "independant thinking"?

• TD
    TD

Designs,

The evidence points to Treyvon being on top of George and hitting him, I accept that. But as EP said the overwhelming responsibility for nothing happening was on George, remember the training given to those who carry- Avoid Avoid Avoid.

EP has given some good advice for gun owners, which I agree with. However his comments are at best specific to the state in which he lives. Laws on this vary greatly from state to state to state.

Even within EP's state (Whatever that is) I don't think he has addressed the issue of multiple incidents, which is a very common scenario in self defense cases.

Simple example: A burglar breaks into someone's house. The homeowner points a gun at them. The burglar flees. The homeowner chases the burglar out of the house and onto the street in anger and frustration. In the eyes of the law, the original altercation ends when the burglar gets clear of the house (Or property depending upon the state) and an entirely new one begins. --One in which the homeowner is the aggressor and the burglar may legally use deadly force in self defense.

Despite whatever you or I or EP may think George Zimmerman did wrong upfront, the fact remains that the two individuals lost contact with each other. Both Prosecution and Defense agreed on this. Martin had time to talk to his girlfriend from (According to her) a position of relative safety outside the home in which he was staying.

Two possible things happened at this point:

a. Zimmerman heads south, finds Martin and confronts him.

b. Martin heads north, finds Zimmerman and confronts him.

EP's comments are not relavant to 'B' here. Your responsibility as a gun owner does not extend to situations where you are confronted and physically acosted. Not in Florida.

One of the most aggravating things about this case is the small amount of evidence and I understand the frustration of some here on JWN. The whole thing feels wrong to them at a gut level, perhaps because Martin was a minor.

I don't see that as justifying all the grasping at straws on these threads though. It is ludicrous to see evidence that Zimmerman actually did things 'right' (As in not striking Martin) used against him. I understand most here were JW's and probably have no formal training with firearms and self defense law, but good grief!

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

yup simon sure is the biggest surprise.

I'll have to admit that at 1st I was surprised as well considering Simon's interaction on threads about such things as gun control but then I realized belatedly that he was simply being honest and seeing this case as what it was, Race Baiting.

I for one agree with him on this.

I still love my guns though. 'Murica!

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

read some books

The Liberal Mantra. It's like Buddhists chanting Om Padme Hum over and over.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Lisa,

Attacking the person, a classic sign of being on the losing side of a debate.

Stick with the subject, opinion stated as opinion, facts with back up proof stated as fact, and there will be an intelligent debate.

• happytobefree
    happytobefree

Simon...you have to give respect in order to receive it. And not just in this post..I have been reading this site almost since the beginning and the last year has been very tough to read.

And both sides have some points. But being a gun owner carrys lots of responsibility....And GZ should not be allowed that right.

And unless you have been black in America...you probably will not understand the pain of this situation or do not care. That's ok

But if you want respect you must give it.

I just thank God (yes I believe in GOD)...that I'm no longer a JW and I'm a BLACK American that can protest, vote, Send 3 BLACK men through college (and yes one is an Attorney). And we will continue to fight for our right to NOT BE HARRASSED in our AFFLUENT Community. For my Sons and husband to able to fertilze our yard, without an ASS asking if they can hire them. That my Husband can DRIVE a Mercedes and NOT GET pulled over and asked WHY HE DRIVE SUCH A NICE CAR!!! That I can shop in Nordstrom with being following by the security.

AND LAST AND NOT LEAST...that my KIDS can WEAR A HOOD over their HEAD IN THE FREAKING RAIN...WITHOUT someone deciding to following them, call 911, because you see someone walking (NOT BREAKING INTO A CAR, BREAKING INTO A HOUSE...BUT WALKING).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit