Zimmerman Not guilty

by mouthy 480 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

Crump thinks TM is comparable to Medgar Evers and Emmett Till. I think he just spat on their graves:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medgar_Evers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till

• Simon
    Simon

The Death Of Emmett Till by Bob Dylan

’Twas down in Mississippi not so long ago
    When a young boy from Chicago town stepped through a Southern door
    This boy’s dreadful tragedy I can still remember well
    The color of his skin was black and his name was Emmett Till

Some men they dragged him to a barn and there they beat him up
    They said they had a reason, but I can’t remember what
    They tortured him and did some things too evil to repeat
    There were screaming sounds inside the barn, there was laughing sounds
    out on the street

Then they rolled his body down a gulf amidst a bloody red rain
    And they threw him in the waters wide to cease his screaming pain
    The reason that they killed him there, and I’m sure it ain’t no lie
    Was just for the fun of killin’ him and to watch him slowly die

And then to stop the United States of yelling for a trial
    Two brothers they confessed that they had killed poor Emmett Till
    But on the jury there were men who helped the brothers commit this
    awful crime
    And so this trial was a mockery, but nobody seemed to mind

I saw the morning papers but I could not bear to see
    The smiling brothers walkin’ down the courthouse stairs
    For the jury found them innocent and the brothers they went free
    While Emmett’s body floats the foam of a Jim Crow southern sea

If you can’t speak out against this kind of thing, a crime that’s so unjust
    Your eyes are filled with dead men’s dirt, your mind is filled with dust
    Your arms and legs they must be in shackles and chains, and your blood
    it must refuse to flow
    For you let this human race fall down so God-awful low!

This song is just a reminder to remind your fellow man
    That this kind of thing still lives today in that ghost-robed Ku Klux Klan
    But if all of us folks that thinks alike, if we gave all we could give
    We could make this great land of ours a greater place to live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVKTx9YlKls

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

tootired, BINGO if you were referring to the media attention:

Ask yourself this, if they cared so much about young black youths being gunned down why did they pick po-dunk Sanford when they could have went to Chicago, where young black youths are systemmatically being gunned down daily? It's because it doesn't boost political ratings that's why. They should be held accountable for expoiting this and bringing out the worst elements in people based on nothing but lies and distortions of facts.

There should be attention focused on this area of the highest murder in the US, from what I remember a report saying recently. Why not? Why not follow some of those stories? Publisize what is hapening, how it is happening, who it is happening to, who is doing the murders. Isn't Illinois a state that has high control gun laws? I beliee they on;y recently decided to relax them and become the last STATE to allow conceled carry. How come? Is this going to be for the benefit of the victims of the constant crime in the area of Chicago? Is there a correlation between not alllowiing conceled carry, and the massive murder rate?

• Mary
    Mary
    Her abused mental state should have been factored in sentencing though which it clearly was not.

Exactly. It begs the question as to why her POS husband wasn't in jail for abuse but that's another issue entirely.

• Violia
    Violia

Thanks for putting those links up. The death of Emmit Till is extremely disturbing.

Jws used to say Satan caused people to do extremely evil things like that but they are wrong, some folks are just plain evil all by themselves.

sigh

• Simon
    Simon
    Exactly. It begs the question as to why her POS husband wasn't in jail for abuse but that's another issue entirely.

Because thankfully, calmer heads than yours look at the issues.

What abuse are you talking about exactly? I guess the abuse she claims as the excuse for her attempting murder?

AFAIK a restraining order doesn't prove anything other than someone asked for one and accused someone of something.

The provable facts though are that she attempted to murder him, risking children in doing so and was also charged with domestic battery 4 months after the shooting which she admitted to.

So, who was the abusive one again?

You can't just read the headline and think you have a clue about what is going on. Some things require a little thought.

• Mary
    Mary
    What abuse are you talking about exactly? I guess the abuse she claims as the excuse for her attempting murder?

Simon, for heavens sakes, her low-life husband "Gray himself admitted in a deposition to abusing "all five of his babies' mamas except one," and to hitting Alexander." There's no question as to whether or not he abused her. He's admitted that he did.

• talesin
    talesin

Life with Billy - Jane Hurshman went to prison for killing her husband, Billy Stafford. He terrorized not only HER, but the whole community ....... the RCMP would not even come to their house when she called for help. The effects of such abuse (eg, sticking a shotgun up inside here and threatening to pull the trigger, YES HE DID) cannot be downplayed.

Oh, by the way, she was found dead in her car, after she was released from prison and was trying to start her life over. It was called 'suicide' ... but how does a 5'4" woman kill herself with a SHOTGUN while sitting in the driver's seat of a car?

Sorry, but I was involved with the shelter when all this was going on, and this case is very close to me.

Alexander made one mistake - she missed. (okay, I don't really mean that, it would have traumatized the children)

Also, a restraining order is granted after a TRIAL by a judge. A "temporary" restraining order may be issued while trial is being awaited.

tal

• Simon
    Simon
    her low-life husband "Gray himself admitted in a deposition to abusing "all five of his babies' mamas except one," and to hitting Alexander

I did not come across those details in any of the articles I found - do you have a link?

Alexander made one mistake - she missed

The real mistake was attempting to murder someone and putting children's lives at risk.

The point of self defense / stand your ground is to be a last resort when there are no other options. If you are the aggresor, however justified you may feel or may actually be, then you are guilty under the law if you chose the fight.

• talesin
    talesin

tsk tsk,, selective quoting... I already covered your point. :)

Alexander made one mistake - she missed. (okay, I don't really mean that, it would have traumatized the children)

I was expanding on why Alexander should not have received the stiff penalty - she was most likely 'not of sound mind' due to years of abuse. And note that an RO is given for a reason.

I do agree that the two cases cannot be compared, but this does highlight the ambiguous nature of this SYG law.

Profiling is just wrong. It happens here as well. Horrible to have cops stopping you because you drive a Beamer, or are parked in front of your own house when you live in a predominantly 'white' neighbourhood.

Let's not forget that the racism goes both ways as well. I can empathize with the people of colour on this thread, because I have been beaten and assaulted for being white, while walking through a black neighbourhood.

Dialogue is soooo important! And I think that this thread has been a thought-full and thought-provoking discussion.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit