Zimmerman Not guilty

by mouthy 480 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

To Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States.

‘As citizens of Manchester, assembled at the Free-Trade Hall, we beg to express our fraternal sentiments towards you and your country. We rejoice in your greatness, as an outgrowth of England, whose blood and language you share, whose orderly and legal freedom you have applied to new circumstances, over a region measurably greater than our own…Since we have discerned, however, that the victory of the free North, in the war which has so sorely distressed us as well as afflicted you, will strike off the fetters of the slave, you have attracted our warm and earnest sympathy. We joyfully honour you as the PRESIDENT, and the Congress with you, for many decisive steps towards practically exemplifying your belief in the words of your great founders. ‘All men are created free and equal”.’

Manchester Free Trade Hall 31 December 1862

It’s not all about Abe: the uncelebrated activists of the anti-slavery movement

• Violia
    Violia

- I get a sense there is a population whose racism won’t be satisfied until enough of other races have been made to suffer injustice.

Exactly, it appears the Jessie Jackson's of the world won't be happy until the white race suffers injustice . If GZ and TM were both black, this case would never have seen the light of day.

• Simon
    Simon

The link between slavery / Abe Lincoln, the civil war and Manchester isn't well know but was significant.

The Confederacy hoped that distress in the European cotton manufacturing areas (similar hardships occurred in France), together with distaste in European ruling circles for Yankee democracy would lead to European intervention to force the Union to make peace on the basis of accepting secession of the Confederacy. (The Union forces nearly provoked Great Britain to enter the war on the secessionist side, when its forces boarded the RMS Trent sailing under the British flag. [23] ) However, after Union forces had repulsed a Confederate incursion at the Battle of Antietam in September 1862, Lincoln issued his Emancipation Proclamation. Slavery had been abolished in the British Empire in 1833 several decades earlier after a long campaign. The Unionists believed that all the British public, would now see this as an antislavery issue rather than an anti-protectionism issue, and would pressure its government not to intervene in any way that helped the South.

Many mill owners and workers resented the blockade and continued to see the war as an issue of tariffs against free trade. Attempts were made to run the blockade, by ships from Liverpool, London and New York. 71,751 bales of American cotton reached Liverpool in 1862. [24] Confederate flags were flown in many cotton towns.

On 31 December 1862, a meeting of cotton workers at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester, despite their increasing hardship, resolved to support the Union in its fight against slavery. An extract from the letter they wrote in the name of the Working People of Manchester to His Excellency Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States of America says:

... the vast progress which you have made in the short space of twenty months fills us with hope that every stain on your freedom will shortly be removed, and that the erasure of that foul blot on civilisation and Christianity – chattel slavery – during your presidency, will cause the name of Abraham Lincoln to be honoured and revered by posterity. We are certain that such a glorious consummation will cement Great Britain and the United States in close and enduring regards. —Public Meeting, Free Trade Hall, Manchester, 31 December 1862.

On 19 January 1863, Abraham Lincoln sent an address thanking the cotton workers of Lancashire for their support. He wrote:

... I know and deeply deplore the sufferings which the working people of Manchester and in all Europe are called to endure in this crisis. It has been often and studiously represented that the attempt to overthrow this Government which was built on the foundation of human rights, and to substitute for it one which should rest exclusively on the basis of slavery, was unlikely to obtain the favour of Europe.

Through the action of disloyal citizens, the working people of Europe have been subjected to a severe trial for the purpose of forcing their sanction to that attempt. Under the circumstances I cannot but regard your decisive utterances on the question as an instance of sublime Christian heroism which has not been surpassed in any age or in any country. It is indeed an energetic and re-inspiring assurance of the inherent truth and of the ultimate and universal triumph of justice, humanity and freedom.

I hail this interchange of sentiments, therefore, as an augury that, whatever else may happen, whatever misfortune may befall your country or my own, the peace and friendship which now exists between the two nations will be, as it shall be my desire to make them, perpetual. —Abraham Lincoln, 19 January 1863

A monument in Brazenose Street, Lincoln Square, Manchester, commemorates the events and reproduces portions of both documents. [25] The Abraham Lincoln statue by George Grey Barnard, 1919, was formerly located in the gardens at Platt Hall in Rusholme. The statue of Abraham Lincolnin Manchester, England

The Federal American government sent a gift of food to the people of Lancashire. The first consignment was sent aboard the George Griswold. Other ships were the Hope and Achilles. [26] To celebrate the aid a carnival procession was organised, carrying the bread for distribution from St Peters Square. The crowd first joined the celebration, but realising that this was a political stunt, stopped the procession and distributed the aid there. [citation needed]

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

Simon... you keep saying slavery and past crimes have nothign to do with this but for many it does.

Up into the civil rights era the plight of minorities not just black minorities in this country was insane. However what people fail to realize is that it wasn't like the happy switch turned on in 1964 with the Civil Rights Act and everyone was treated equally. For the love of God I got beat in school in North Carolina for beating a white kid in a spelling bee by my teacher in the 1980's.

That is not that long ago. Because of ones race they experience things you never will, so when you condemn people as being narrow-minded and not seeing reality for what it is - maybe you just can't see thier reality. Just like they can't see yours. I understand why so many white folks get upset because they are held accountable for what happened all those years ago. However when I encounter lots of white folks who still call me out of my name, make snide remarks or try to treat me as if it was still 1854 you must understand why people have a hard time letting it go.

tootireds comments about multiculturalism is spot on in many respects.

In regards to my children, they are taught never to think less of anyone because of how they look - but they are aware of the fact that by nature many will judge them.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Where did GZ hold his gun? I could be wrong but during the trial (his interviews) I thought he said it was on his side and then said it was holstered behind him?

---

I believe the evidence and testimony stated it was in the holster at the waistband at his side. The holster was designed for those legally allowed to carry a concealed weapon. That's why the gun was where it was - it had to be legally concealed. There is no evidence that the gun was ever taken out prior to the assault and no evidence of any wrong doing in where or how the gun was being carried.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

- I get a sense there is a population whose racism won’t be satisfied until enough of other races have been made to suffer injustice.

- I get a sense that some Americans don’t understand that how a person presents themselves to the public (e.g., mannerisms, dress, grooming, body art) gives folks reason to suspect them as more or less worthy of keeping an eye on for sake of safety.

In my case, at nighttime I’m far more suspicious of anyone who covers their face compared to someone walking around with their face uncovered.

Marvin Shilmer

============================================

You are correct marvin there is a group that feels that way. Its not a whole race its a portion of it. Just like there is a portion of the population that feels that one group of people does nothing but cause trouble and she be sent back were they came from.

The majority of the minorities in my situation just want to be treated like your next door neighbor instead of the guy that has to be watched for months before he is deemed human enough to live next to.

I also am suspicious of someone covering thier face at night time if it is a beautiful clear night, however if it is raining I don't really think anything is wierd. Personally if someone has a hoodie and it is raining outside and it is not on thier head I then might think they are on drugs or something is wrong with them. It's like being outside in a rainstorm with an umbrella in your hand and not putting it up.

In regards to dress and grooming. I know inthe south you see just as many white latino and asian kids with baggy pants big shirts and hoodies with tattoos as you see black kids.

Profiling exists of course, but when you do not give people a chance to prove who they are on an individual basis it can make ones life very unpleasant and in turn cause people to lash out

• metatron
    metatron

http://criminaldefenseblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-embarrassment-of-george-zimmerman.html

The above is an excellent (learned and authoritative) blog as regards the verdict.

Beyond that, I assert that this media obsession with the trial has a darker purpose: distraction.

We are steadily losing our rights under the Constitution. If this trend isn't stopped, it will have a far greater and lasting effect than the tragic death of one young man in Florida.

Keep in mind that the mass media in the US is heavily controlled by a few corporations - as shown by the fact that scandals are exposed ELSEWHERE such as in Britain (Snowden).

metatron

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon... you keep saying slavery and past crimes have nothign to do with this but for many it does.

I agree - for many it does ... but only in their own heads. They are trying to make GZ pay for those past crimes. That is unfair and it turns them into the very thing that they were hurt by: people who judge something on skin color alone.

That is not that long ago. Because of ones race they experience things you never will, so when you condemn people as being narrow-minded and not seeing reality for what it is - maybe you just can't see thier reality. Just like they can't see yours. I understand why so many white folks get upset because they are held accountable for what happened all those years ago. However when I encounter lots of white folks who still call me out of my name, make snide remarks or try to treat me as if it was still 1854 you must understand why people have a hard time letting it go.

I understand and empathise / sympathise but nothing excuses trying to convict someone else for a crime they did not commit based on some previous wrongs by others.

What is needed are clear heads and not people taking advantage of previous sufferings and using current incidents to push their own revenge agenda.

If a crime is genuinely a race crime I wholeheartedly support prosecuting it to the maximum extent of the law. The problem is, the TM/GZ case is not that crime. It's been shown not to be that crime but people are still trying to twist it into being so.

Question: What do you think of Crump comparing TM to Medgar Evers? Don't you think it cheapens and devalues everything Medgar stood for and accomplished? Or the memory of the other black child he used that was tortured and killed by a white racist thug - doesn't it cheapen the horror of that when it's compared to something that many will look at and clearly not see anything racist?

I don't understand how people can stand for that! It's an outrage and a disgrace.

• Simon
    Simon

metatron: good link - I formed exactly the same opinion of Sonny Hostin that he did. She was biased beyond belief and shouldn't have had air-time.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

I am not sure if any realizes it but most people I know were up in arms with the fact that a minor was killed with no eye-witness and the person who shot him was released a few minutes later. On top of that this particular police department has had so many complaints about unfair treatment of others - it is easy to see why MANY felt this was just another cover-up. Another case of black life not meaning anything. That is what people felt.

The portion of the population who instantly wanted him imprisoned or dead without a trial is probably no larger than the same portion who are ready for the RaHoWa. You have people on both sides that are extreme and want action taken without the facts being stated.

In regards to Crump I have absolutely no knowledge of what he has said about anyone.

In regards to comparing one crime to another that never works as intended because each is unique.

I still hold to the point that just because someones actions are all legal it doesn't make them right and often times the results of those legal actions can create a mess that is totally unnecessary.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit