Zimmerman Not guilty

by mouthy 480 Replies latest social current

• Mary
    Mary

• She entered his house thinking he wasn't home to remove items. It says it was 'their' former home and apparently she still had a key. With the history of violence this guy had, I don't think it is at all unreasonable for her to want to get some of her items when she thought he wouldn't be there. We did the same thing years ago when my one sister was living with an abusive guy. We moved her out of there but she wanted to go back about a week later to get some of her items that she had left there. As fate would have it, Roger-the-creep unexpectedly showed up and if we had not been there with her, it would have gotten ugly really quick.
    • When discovering he was there she went out to her vehicle to get a gun. No, it says after they had an 'altercation', she went out to the garage, apparently wanting to get away from him. She couldn't because the garage door wasn't working. Knowing only too well what he was capable of, she got the gun and fired.
    That isn't "stand your ground" ... it's not meant to be an excuse to attack someone. Now what miscarriage of justice do you imagine you've seen?

Simon, are you kidding? Do you have any idea what a history of domestic abuse can do to a person? I'm stunned you would even say that. You should read a book called "The Burning Bed". A true story of Francine Hughes who had an extremely abusive husband and after 13 years, she snapped and killed him. He wasn't immediately threatening her, he was, in fact, passed out drunk in his bed. She torched the house with him in it. She was eventually found "not guilty" because the jury understood the whole pattern of domestic abuse. The fact that Marissa Alexander, who was abused for years by her husband actually stands her ground when she felt she was in danger, and is now sentenced to 20 years in prison, is just sick beyond words.

So please drop the rediculous comparisons - they just make people look desperate and silly.

Sorry you think it does. Fortunately there's alot of people out there who are comparing the two cases as it highlights the complete inequity in the 'Stand Your Ground' laws in Florida.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

tootired2care - I personally have accepted the verdict. I knew this would be the outcome because they did a shabby job of delivering the evidence. Most importantly there was no camera there so nothing was 100% either way. What my main concern here is because I live no more than 30 miles from where this happened and I am constantly profiled and treated in certain ways when I go out - I am hoping this does not emboldened other gun totting nuts who look at me as a 6ft2 black who may appear intimidating to start following me in dark places or just decide to shoot me because they "FEEL THREATENED".

Many people laugh this off but this is a very real scenario and fear that people of certain backgrounds face. Mind you I have no problems with people of any race, I have made and always have have friends of all races and like it that way. I am just stating the facts as I have seen them unfold over the years

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Mary, do you feel it's okay or justified to come back and fire a bullet towards an abusive husband and a child of 9 and 13, when she could have just gotten in her car and drove off and called the police?

• Simon
    Simon
    a. He admits to following Trayvon. His voice can be heard saying it on tape to the dispatcher. When asked is he following him he said "YES". You heard it yourself. Why lie or try to twist this???

I'm not. They then said "we don't need you to do this" and he said OK was was returning to his vehicle. i.e. not following him. By your logic TM was also still following him because he'd walked towards him previously. See how silly that argument is?

b. Unarmed means he had no gun or other type of weapon. In order for his fists to be registered as weapons in the US (Not sure about Canada) it would require some serious form of training. You are aware of this but you think your response is witty when in fact it shows YOUR BIAS. His Physique is a weapon? You sound so freakin ridiculous.

You are promoting the idea that "unarmed" means "unable to inflict harm or cause damage" and we know that isn't the case. He was obsessed with fighting.

c. You just made yourself look even worse. I never said he MURDERED him in my statement. Niether did tootired. You are seeing what you want to see Simon. You are angry and your bias is apparent. So as stated HE KILLED TRAYVON MARTIN.

So are you saying that you don't mind he was killed? Your 'argument' is that you think he was killed deliberately which would be murder. Just because I used the word you are implying doesn't mean I'm twisting your words.

d. The only reason his life was in danger was because he got out of his car following a supposed 6ft5 black guy (WHY DID YOU HAVE TO STIPULATE BLACK GUY. Would you not feel danger if a 6ft5 White guy punched you to the ground, was beating you and pounding your head against the concrete" The fact is he would not be in that situation had he not put himself in that position.

No, and TM wouldn't have been in the position he was in if he hadn't put himself in that situation. Your argument blames a victim of assault for "being there". He had every right to be there and NOT to be attacked.

The laws in Florida (where I happen to Live) make itextremely easy for someone to killed and the killer be exonerated based mainly on their own words. That scares some people. Maybe not you because people look at you and are not intimidated by your small stature or skin color or whatever it may be. However some of us have kids that are instantl seen as a threat based upon what they are wearing or what color they are and it is a cause for concern

I think you are repeating the racist propaganda of the race baiters who believe whites can kill blacks and nothing will ever be investigated and everything will be covered over with a nod and a wink.

I hope you teach your kids how dangerous it is to go around attacking stangers on the street because you never know when you will come across someone who is ready and able to defend themselves.

It's also a very rude and inconsiderate thing to do and risks labelling you a thug.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

valkyrie - sometimes it is better to laugh to avoid crying.

The initial police report from the night of the shooting lists Martin's height as 6'0" (1.83 m) and weight as 160 lb

The morning after the shooting, an autopsy found that Martin's body was 5'11" (1.80 m) long and weighed 158 lb

Zimmerman's weight was shown as 185 pounds (84 kg) on his Seminole County Sheriff's Office Inmate Booking Information on April 11, 2012, the date of his arrest and he was 5ft7

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its funny how people who've set something in their minds how they dispel some information but consume other information

as long as its supports their own biased position.

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

I think you are repeating the racist propaganda of the race baiters who believe whites can kill blacks and nothing will ever be investigated and everything will be covered over with a nod and a wink.

From what I've heard and read, I do believe that this actually would/could happen in some instances and places in the U.S., if big noise were not made to draw attention to the event. Of course, this can (over time) lead to the pre-emptive and overbearing making of big noise, and result in the jading of even objective observers.

• Simon
    Simon

Mary: "their former home" that she isn't living in = his home that he is living in. If you can't see the massive differences between the two cases then I don't know how to help you understand how rediculous trying to compare them makes you appear to me.

re: TMs height - the initial police report was 6' ... autopsy said 5'11" ... martin family said 6'2". I think it's safest to just say "6ft tall" which most consider tall (because no one says "6ft short")

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Many people laugh this off but this is a very real scenario and fear that people of certain backgrounds face. Mind you I have no problems with people of any race, I have made and always have have friends of all races and like it that way. I am just stating the facts as I have seen them unfold over the years

I don't, I have been profiled myself. Driving through the state of Colorado I was pulled over for no reason other than the cop thought I looked suspicious. The thing is there probably won't be a society where profiling does not exist for a long time. Whether we choose to acknowledge it or not we all profile each throughout our daily life. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it just is, and multiculturalism is still a relatively new thing, and with that comes a host of challenges that we as species have to work through and evolve past.

• Simon
    Simon
    From what I've heard and read, I do believe that this actually would/could happen in some instances and places in the U.S., if big noise were not made to draw attention to the event. Of course, this can (over time) lead to the pre-emptive and overbearing making of big noise, and result in the jading of even objective observers.

I agree. I'm sure it happens.

Sadly, next time it happens a more sizeable number than last time will possibly think "yeah, yeah ... we heard that before, it's that thing that black people make up".

THAT is why what the like of Crump and other race-instigators have done is so insidious - it doesn't help the community they claim to aid but further isolates them and provides an excuse for suspicion and discrimination.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit