Zimmerman Not guilty

by mouthy 480 Replies latest social current

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The only way at getting closer to "The Truth" is to examine and evaluate ALL pertaining information.

Critical thinking skills are usefully not only in evaluating religions but other circumstances as well.

As its known the media can distort and embellish things to further cultivate attention to their products

just like some religions we know.

• Mary
    Mary
    Mary, do you feel it's okay or justified to come back and fire a bullet towards an abusive husband and a child of 9 and 13, when she could have just gotten in her car and drove off and called the police?

I don't think it's that simple TT. She was having a fight with a man with a history of violence who had beat her and threatened to kill her. She obviously felt threatened by him when this was happening, got the gun and fired a warning shot at him. Was it a good idea to do this in front of his kids? Of course not. But as I've already stated, people in abusive relationships do not always think rationally or do the rational thing. In the book I mentioned above, Francine Hughes' 3 children were there when she started the house on fire. Another abused woman told about in the book Life With Billykilled her abusive drunken pig husband with her teenaged son there. These women have no history of violence but people can only take so much before they snap.

In Marissa Alexander's case, I would think that the history of abuse would have been strongly considered as a reason to let her go. No one died but she gets 20 years in prison. Just unbelievable.......

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

"...multiculturalism is still a relatively new thing..."

But, isn't multiculturalism inherent in the history of the United States?

From the very beginning, did not Spaniards, English, French, Dutch and - yes - even Africans arrive in the "New World" with sometimes more than vestigial elements of their home cultures... alongside the resident N.A.s?

• Simon
    Simon
    Maybe not you because people look at you and are not intimidated by your small stature or skin color or whatever it may be.

Ha, I actually have a close shaved head right now - I look like a read bad-ass

But I'm really still as cute and lovable as ever - just with a slightly furry head

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

No one died but she gets 20 years in prison. Just unbelievable.......

I agree the sentence was dumb, I'm hopeful that it will get commuted though. I think 2-3 would be more than fair. Still, the circumstances here are very different from the TM/GZ case, she was not standing her ground but taking ground in that instance. Her abused mental state should have been factored in sentencing though which it clearly was not.

• Simon
    Simon
    I guess since you are from Canada maybe you are not aware of the hundreds of killings of black peoplein the US via lynchings and Beatings etc... many of which happned not so long ago. Up into the 70's and 80's these things were still being covered over and these are facts that can be found in various court cases and police records. When I lived in NJ the state was known for Racial Profiling. Many police departments were investigated and it was found to be true. These things are not make believe.

I'm actually from England originally but I grew up listening to civil rights and black American music (not MJ music, old old music about the history) and I like to read history so know lots about the issues in the US and the more shameful elements of it's past. The north of England where I lived played a large part in the slave trade (both Manchester and more so Liverpool) and Manchester was the birthplace of a number of anti-slavery protests and demonstrations that grew into movements and eventually led to abolition. There are still statues around Manchester to commemorate the people who took a stand and recognise the thousands of innocent people who chose to endure personal hardship instead of being involved in goods that contributed to the trans-atlantic slave trade.

So yes, I know about slavery and the racism that was prevalent in America.

But TM and GZ has nothing to do with that at all and attempts to bring those past crimes into the mix is why it turned into the circus that it did and why I consider attempts by the same people to continue stirring things up and compare TMs actions and behaviour with those of people who suffered unspeakable injustices to be sick and appalling.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

"I don't, I have been profiled myself. Driving through the state of Colorado I was pulled over for no reason other than the cop thought I looked suspicious. The thing is there probably won't be a society where profiling does not exist for a long time. Whether we choose to acknowledge it or not we all profile each throughout our daily life. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it just is, and multiculturalism is still a relatively new thing, and with that comes a host of challenges that we as species have to work through and evolve past. " --tootired

tootired in no way am i trying to minimize you getting pulled over because that too was ridiculous. It makes you feel bad. Like I mentioned earlier this week on Friday I was stopped by police while walking with my 5 year old son on the sidewalk because some neighbors said a suspicious guy was in the neighborhood. Flashing lights on and all.

Earlier I in the year I was stopped in front of my house because I was reading my mail in the car and the cop happened to be in my neighborhood. He drove past me looked in my car slams on breaks reversed and asked me what I was doing there. I told him I lived there and he demands to see my license as proof.(My family is the only one in an all white neighborhood) These things happen to me so often it is ridiculous.

The point of me saying this is to state that yes I know these things do not just happen to black folks but just imagine what this does to your spirit and what this does to your thinking. It also shows why black people get so angry because these things demoralize you and make you feel like crap

Sorry if I am ranting

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

Maybe I’m wrong, and please forgive me speaking frankly, but…

- I get a sense there is a population whose racism won’t be satisfied until enough of other races have been made to suffer injustice.

- I get a sense that some Americans don’t understand that how a person presents themselves to the public (e.g., mannerisms, dress, grooming, body art) gives folks reason to suspect them as more or less worthy of keeping an eye on for sake of safety.

In my case, at nighttime I’m far more suspicious of anyone who covers their face compared to someone walking around with their face uncovered.

Marvin Shilmer

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

But, isn't multiculturalism inherent in the history of the United States?

It is, but 200 years is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things, and there has been great upheavals in those 200 years. And just when things finally start to stabilize the liberal leaders and media have to become the new racists by fanning the flames of racism with this case.

Ask yourself this, if they cared so much about young black youths being gunned down why did they pick po-dunk Sanford when they could have went to Chicago, where young black youths are systemmatically being gunned down daily? It's because it doesn't boost political ratings that's why. They should be held accountable for expoiting this and bringing out the worst elements in people based on nothing but lies and distortions of facts.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I think 20 years is far over the top but bear in mind that Angela Corey was the prosecution. I'm not sure having watched her dream team manufacture a case out of thin air that I actually believe what she insists is the truth - but this is what she said in her interview - sammieswife

Florida State Attorney Angela Corey spoke with Politic365 on Friday after Marissa Alexander, 31, was sentenced to twenty years in prison. Alexander, of Jacksonville, FL, was sentenced under a mandatory minimum sentencing requirement known as 10-20-Life for an incident on August 1, 2010 in which she discharged a handgun, but no one was shot or killed or injured. Alexander has been incarcerated since February 8, 2011. She had no previous criminal record before the Aug. 2010 incident.

A motion to invoke stand your ground immunity in Alexander’s case was denied last year.

When Corey was asked if she was comfortable with the Alexander prosecution, she answered: “We send a lot of people for 20 years on armed robbery where no one is shot or killed. How do we convince people not to use guns to commit crimes and not to use guns as a way to solve their marital problems? No. There is a strong message in not using a gun to commit a crime,” Corey answered.

During a 25 minute interview with Politic365, Corey wanted to make it clear that Marissa Alexander had shot in the direction of her husband Rico Gray, Sr. during their argument on August 1, 2010 and that Alexander assaulted her husband in a separate incident on December 30, 2010 which landed her back in jail.

“They can not tell the public that she fired a warning shot into the ceiling that is simply not what happened,” Corey said. “She aimed the gun in the direction of Mr. Gray and the two boys,” Corey asserted. “This was definitely not a warning shot. He was in the living room with the two boys right next to him getting ready to go out the front door and she fired the gun right at the wall — we’ve got photos you can see,” Corey said.

“It was the photos and talking to the boys that convinced me. It’s not a warning shot when you fire and it comes in at about head level through the wall and only then goes up into the ceiling and into the living room,” Corey said. “This gun had a seven pound trigger pull. So this isn’t a hair trigger — this isn’t an accident. You can not aim a gun at three unarmed people. These were not burglars in her home these were her step children,” the Florida prosecutor explained.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit