Apostate: From 279 Facebook friends to 81 overnight... thanks MOM!

by sosoconfused 72 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

Sorry to hear your going through it at the moment sosoconfused.

It's unpleasant but freedom comes at a price; the borg always make sure of that.

Hang in there, its worth it in the long run.

• Dagney
    Dagney

It's a hit to the gut, even though our logical minds know they are not true friends.

Keep on sharing here. We understand.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

What a Joke, I have never experience anything related to this kind of stuff, but its really alarming how people just turn the switch on and off. Talk about lame, i would never ever even consider such an action. So much for their Christ like love.

• whathappened
    whathappened

We need to make this shunning thing a major crisis for the Watchtower. If people knew that they shun family and friends like the do, they would slam the doors in their faces hard.

We need a major campaign to educate the public about this religion that looks innocent on the surface but is evil to the core upon close inspection. I for my part am going to launch a flyer campaign in my area, anonomously, of course. I have had it with the shunning.

• jgnat
    jgnat

See, shunning loses its power once you are out of the picture. Places like facebook are the only venue to continue the punishment. Once they unfriend, it's over. You don't have reinstate them later. Let them stew in their own juices.

Check and double-check your privacy settings.

• sd-7
    sd-7

If it wasn't clear before, it's clear now--it's the one thing I understood BEFORE I decided to start researching the JWs. I told myself, "This is a one-way trip. If it turns out it's all a lie, no one will ever believe you. You will lose everyone you have ever known. Are you prepared to do that?" Once I learned all that I could, I realized that I simply didn't want friends who were willing to obey this sort of teaching without question. I shut myself down and distanced myself from everyone... ...Almost everyone. And the one person I cared about most was my greatest downfall in the end. I learned to turn off those feelings as much as possible from then on.

There is no limit to how far they will go to turn against you once they know you've got major doubts. As has been said, you may as well take the initiative to cut them all off yourself, delete all of their messages, unfriend them, etc., and be done with them. Because they are done with you. It's a matter of sanity, in my opinion, to be able to do this. (Then again, the guy who married into the cult knowingly probably ain't in any position to be giving you advice. See to your own house, sd-7!)

It's war, from the second they found out about you, and there are no rules in war, only people getting hurt. Tear every feeling for them out of your heart, or it will make you vulnerable. They can use their bond with you as emotional blackmail in the long term, and that would be torture. Don't give them a chance to do that.

--sd-7

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

You are so brave, Soso. My heart goes out to you. I had a "friend" tell me I needed "to get my thinking in line with the faithful and discreet slave". At least she told me why she was unfriending me. This sort of thing really reveals people's true colours. A true Jw friend would at least talk to you first to see if it were true.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Soso, you are a threat to them.

You may know something that will destroy their faith in Jehovah the organization.

That is why they have to cut you loose.

You'll find better friends who will value you for you.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

It is almost as if I am watching a TV show. Like this was never suppose to happen to me. The good part is, I am not really hurt...

Moving on is going to be easy for me because I have my wife and kids in tow so nothing else really matters

• Adventurousone
    Adventurousone

Hello Soso:

Look at all the friends you have on the message that you put out. A lot of these people don't know you personally, but they know you by your comments. And they don't criticize you for what you do, they love you for who you are. A truly caring and loving person that loves his family. I'm sorry to hear what happened to you, and I know your thankful you have your wife by your side right now when this is happening to the both of you. Just remember there is always somebody out there listening to your words, and they will respond. So keep us posted as to what happens next. My husband and I send our love your way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit