I am so proud of Wendy Williams for calling Paula Deen to the carpet for her racist remarks

by booker-t 54 Replies latest jw friends

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

She didnt just use the word...

She had a history of this kind of conduct at her and her brothers restaurants.

If it makes you feel better she also did this to peopel of other races too. LOL

Howeer expressing to someone that you want a southern plantation style wedding with all black men servants dressed in racist attire is going to lead to problems with your character in the eyes of others.

If it took her a long time to learn her lesson well now she has. It was also said that she condoned black workers using seperate doors and bathrooms as well. So yeah I think she needed to have her career destroyed the same way she destroyed the self-esteem of those she treated like crap.

The same way they have to build up there self-esteem after being treated so poorly she can likewise build her career back up. Sounds fair

• wasblind
    wasblind

Howeer expressing to someone that you want a southern plantation style wedding with all black men servants dressed in racist attire is going to lead to problems with your character in the eyes of others____SSC

From the black perspective , that does most certainly make me frown

From a white woman raised in the south. Her perspective of this event

only focused on the " Pleasantries " of the antibellum days of the south

For us, there's nothin' pleasant of that time period

This is what she did not consider of those she wanted to hire

destroyin' her ain't gonna change things over night

Helpin' her to really understand what others feel can help

• jam
    jam

An interview made in 2011. Paula Deen told the interviewer,

I have a son by another father( a joke), he is standing back stage.

Come out _____, He is as black as the wall behind us, come

on out (the guy name). You are standing in front of the blackboard,

we can not see you ( the audience laugh).

The jerk comes out and kiss her.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Paula is a closet racist, glad to see her get fired by Food-Network!

• The Quiet One
  • rebel8
    rebel8

WHO in 2013 doesn't "know" already that this is a racial slur?

Exactly.

Even w/o the N word, WHO in 2013 doesn't know it's wrong to even want to have "all black waiters dressed like they did in the Shirley Temple days, tap dancing around", let alone say that aloud? (If you haven't seen black actors in Shirley Temple movies--worth a watch if you want to be offended--they are portrayed very negatively.)

Back to the N word--she says she doesn't say that in her everyday speech but admits to saying it once after being robbed. It seems to me her true colors came out at that moment. If I was robbed, I might call the criminals a lot of names, but a slur based on their skin color wouldn't even cross my mind...because it has nothing to do with the situation.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

For 7 years my wife and I lived in North FL. Far diffrent than were we lived in the Tampa Bay area. We was right in the middle of the old south. Because I am white other white people that I didn't even know would make racist comments to me about black people. I would then turn to them and say careful what you say then I would take my wallet out and show them my two black grandchildren. It seems to me many while people in the south do suffer with extreme racism. It is like a disease with them. Totally ADD

• rebel8
    rebel8

Red Foxx--ok but that was 40 years ago--near the birth of the civil rights movement in the US. I don't find that comparable to this situation.

Incidentally, this is not the first racist comment she's said publicly. She did not learn her lesson.

She is not being fired. Her contracts are not being renewed. Food Network is a public relations business. They would be stupid to renew her contract when there are thousands of other people, even more qualified than her, who do not turn off the public and will not decrease their revenue.

Paula Deen is not a professional chef. All she has going for her is her personality and a stick of butter. Her recipes are gross. For reasons I've never understood, there were many people who liked her personality. Apparently, people like adolescent silliness, fake accents and histrionics. Now there aren't, so all we have left is the butter. Hopefully a talented chef will take her place on the network, and she can go away quietly and enjoy her jillions of dollars privately.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Let me make myself very clear. I do not condone the things she did

unfortunately I do understand where her attitude originate

We can have a 20 page thread that give examples of all her wrongs
    that she had in her closet and brought out in the open

We can all seek pleasure in her destruction

For me. I think her acknowledgement of her attitude opens the door

for correction in the way she thinks

A persons mindset can only get fixed, when they acknowledge it's wrong

I'm done

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Another thing to take into consideration is that The Food Network said her contract expires next month. For someone who has the longevity with the network, plus the fact that she has other things with her name on it like cookware, a popular brand name of hams which I can't think of right now, as well as a brand of poultry, if her contract wasn't sewn up already with all the other things she has going on, they were probably hesitant to pick her up again. She's a multimillionaire and her contract has 4 weeks to go? That should've been signed on the dotted line months ago to keep her under their umbrella, so I guess they weren't too enthused to keep her under their umbrella and this came along at the right time for them to drop her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit