jw.org store in Rouen, France

by breakfast of champions 88 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Amazing !!!

The nearest I have seen to this is a photo of a stand at a U.S Airport, La Guardia I think, but this is on a different level completely.

I guess it will be chock full of visiting Dubs to see the novelty...Boy! I wish there was one a little way from here,where I was not known. I could go in and ask some very interesting questions!

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

This is clearly a pilot program run by the Watchtower org.

I have to give credit to them for at least re-inventing themselves. They can see that knocking on stranger's doors is simply not cutting it.

Putting up a store with a nice front and some suggestive slogans in a high traffic area will bring people, even if just for curiosity.

I'm struggling though, as to why they are going with a solution that has costs associated with it. The org has always shied away from preaching in ways that cost money ( tv, radio etc) .

I'm not quite understanding the bottom line of this business model to be honest, when comparing the costs of running a store versus the money from potential donations.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Just copied this from J W Talk. They confirm that it is a legit J W.Org Store..

(English may not be the writer's first language)

"Some update I received about this event.

Jehovah's blessings are tremendous !

This was for the Armada Festival in Rouen (Rouen is quite close to the Bethel in Louviers).

(here is a tourism website in the area which explains the event www.normandie-tourisme.

fr/articles/rouen-armada-major-event-2013-1482-2.html )

So, two week ago, we opened a "jw store" dedicated to Jehovah with computers with internet

connexion to the jw.org website, there is a place for Bible studies and an TV screen to watch

JW dvds.

In the back, there are magazines in all the languages spoken in Rouen and a printer to print

the tract "Truth" in any languages needed (thank you Internet )

This event was organised really quickly !

A month ago, we asked the prefecture for an autorisation and all the documents (normaly,

it takes months...), we had a positive answer in 15 days (!).

So 2 weeks ago, monday, this was a poor hairdressing salon and the same week, on Thrusday,

this was a brilliant JW store (thanks to all the bros and sis of the LBC who did some tremendous

work).More over, during the festival, there were stands, you know, the exact same type of the ones

of the Manhattan Project. There a quite tall and with a lot of magazines so the people are

not afraid to take magazines

Funny story, some people had not understood that it was free so they tried to steal some

magazines (welcome in France, hahaha !). The sisters called them and told them it would

be better for them to take magazine in french... not in chinese, hahaha !

This JW store will be open for 6 months, so if you go in France, in Rouen, you can go and

have a look."

• jgnat
    jgnat

redvip, in Rutherford's day the WTS was definitely cutting-edge. They were pioneers in radio, taking on the Establishment head-on. Then there were the phonographs.

Millenial Dawn

Of course, that is several generations ago....

• Dagney
    Dagney

Actually redvip, in the old days the WTBS was much more open to using different methods for "spreading the word." It's just in the last 50 or so years they eliminated those avenues and focused solely on the door to door. They did run some PSA's and also took out some full page ads in some newpapers not so long ago. Can't imagine they had much response from it.

I just wonder how they sugar coat their doctrines to the interested. That is why it would be great to have a kiosk nearby with handouts or a place one could put flyers outlining bullet points of those crazy doctrines of "jw.org." A cartoon titled "The jw.org bedroom" with the red "no" circle placed over positions. A cartoon of a child needing a blood transfusion with the red "no" circle over the blood. Children begging to see their parents, and the "no" sign. Something that makes it reallys simply and clear what they really believe besides "wouldn't you like to live in a world without war and sickness...and have a pet lion?"

Edited: jgnat beat me to it. Thanks j.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Whenever I see the term 'Manhattan Project,' I think of huge, fiery, mushroom clouds.

• Tech49
    Tech49

I first noticed this little change a while back on a trip to Walkill, NY. They were setting up similar " informational kiosks" inside Walkill Bethel, to be a part of the tour. I would imagine to garner the favor and support of the friends visiting ("isnt that a WONDERFUL blessing?? Look how Jehovah is using modern technology!!") , as it would be a poor use of resources for the public at that particular location. Wont be long, and we will see storefronts stateside, if they are not already in motion.

.Man, I want to get my service time in by hanging out in one of those all day! Drinking coffee and holding a chair down..... reminds me of manning the booths at trade shows....Sorry, this particular privilege is only for "special", "approved" publishers..... Not you...

So when will the latest WT tell us about the NEW LIGHT of a name change? From now on, we will be known as JayDubbleYou dot org'ers. ?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

What a Francophile I am! When I retire retire I plan to take immersion courses in France. Rouen, yet. Somehow I always thought the French were well, so French and much more sophisticated than the Brits. I was wrong. Je parle Francais un tres peu. This is funny. Rouen is such a cathedral town, too.

Next shop, Firenze, Italy. next to the Academy and Uffizi.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

LOL! Just saw this! Exactly what Jesus had in mind, I'm sure....... not!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit