Valedictorian Rips Up Preapproved Speech, Recites Prayer Instead

by Sam Whiskey 469 Replies latest jw friends

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

This has caused quite a stir and I hope it awakens people to the fact that everyone has a right to freedom of speech, even Christians.

Suppose he was a Muslim and recited an Islamic prayer. Think that would still be OK with all the fundies there? Everybody gonna rally around his "freedom of speech" then?

Nah! That'd be inappropriate. Maybe a hate crime.

Doc

_______

Ditto.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I attended my grandson' s graduation last week, and they had a prayer and no one objected. Of course that is because a private, religious school. People who feel so passionately about prayer in school are welcome to do the same,and set up and pay for their own school. As long as they choose to use the public school, which is paid for and used by people of all religions, then they can just say their prayers at home. If our founding fathers wanted this to be a Christian only nation, they would have put it in the constitution.

• still thinking
    still thinking

what if he ditched his PREAPPROVED speach and practiced his first ammendment right on the subject of athieism?

If he felt his atheism has contributed to his success..., I don't care.

I can't personally see how not beleiving in god COULD help him succeed, I don't know how that would be possible. But, hey...someone else might.

• still thinking
    still thinking

No one wants to take away his freedom of speech, and if I had been in attendance I would have quietly and respectfully listened (while groaning inside). That is not the point of this. "Christians," and I use the term loosely, would be unlikely to grant someone else the "freedom of speech" to espouse thier love for Satan, for example, in such a forum without complaining loudly and without saying that the Satanists are trying to force their viewpoints and beliefs down their throat.

Thats the bugger about free speach isn't it? They would just have to suck it up.

I suspect that if they just let people say what they want the issue would sort itself out. A few Muslim speaches and one thanking Satan might just make them think it wasn't worth sharing their belief when they have to listen to others...LOL

I think the world has gone PC and control crazy. Trying to tell people what they CAN'T say. That is NOT freedom of speech.

• still thinking
    still thinking

That's what pisses off the minority, they can't control us...

LMAO...that has to be the most stupid thing I have EVER read.

• still thinking
    still thinking

You followed them to the new Christian web site?..

Now thats Desperate..LOL!!..

They invited everyone here. I have looked now and again...it's quite entertaining watching them tearing each other to shreds. I have lost interest though. There only so much of that anyone can stomach.

But it was good for a laugh sometimes.

It`s the people that follow to harass them,that cause me the most trouble there..

Not from what I've read. It's christians telling each other how they are wrong...LOL And quite frankly, being quite nasty to each other sometimes. I haven't seen any non christians on there being nasty. In fact, how many non christians are even there posting? Maybe it's changed lately. I dunno. It's too puke worthy to read. The main drama seems to be between catholics and god hearers. They are ALL christians.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    They invited everyone here. I have looked now and again...it's quite entertaining watching them tearing each other to shreds.

I have lost interest though. There only so much of that anyone can stomach.But it was good for a laugh sometimes.

Watching them tear each other to shreds?!..LOL!!..

It`s a pretty quiet group,there`s been a few disagreements..

For the most part they get along good..

It`s an Easy Place to Mod..

................................ photo mutley-ani1.gif... OUTLAW

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

In fact, how many non christians are even there posting?

Not many..

I don`t know why that forum would attract non believers..

If it wasn`t for the fact Shelby and I are Friends and she needs a mod..

It`s unlikely I would be there..I don`t share their beliefs..
    ................................ photo mutley-ani1.gif... OUTLAW

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Lisabobisa ~ "WOW. If you are a christian you get to push people around? You have some special power or right over other Americans? You get to "excert pressure" while others cannot?

You are NOT more special or more American or have more rights in this country because of your religion. You DO NOT have the right to "excert your pressure" on others in tax-payer funded public schools that are for EVERYONE, not just YOU."

How do you think the Boy Scouts feel right about now because of gay rights? As a private entity, they're probably going to fold, because Christian based groups (Boy Scouts adhere to Christian based values...well they did until a certain group exerted political pressure on them) want nothing to do with the gay agenda. Thanks to the gay rights agenda, many young men will suffer from this injustice.

I'm using my freedom of speech here, I think Christian Americans are just about fed up with all the shenanigans, and this young man's recital of the Lord's Prayer in a public school was his way of saying "screw you" to all of the political correctness. It's out of control, and it's taking our country out of control, just look around you. America is not better off for it, it's worse off and I think that the youth are taking notice.

I applaud him for his speech, and hope there are more to come. Perhaps we are reaching a crescendo in our society where young people are realizing that God does have a place in our lives (public and/or private). Bring back the crosses, Ten Commandments, etc.. to our public places. They instill the virtues of a healthy society and remind us that WE are not God's, and that we can not live independent of God.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Oh it's not all that dramatic. The Boyscouts will survive. Other churches will take up the Southern Baptist slack. My son's troops didn't even meet in baptist churches, they were Methodist or nondenominational.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit