Valedictorian Rips Up Preapproved Speech, Recites Prayer Instead

by Sam Whiskey 469 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Someone mentioned Channel C recently, that's pretty Christian.

• Diest
    Diest

Where is the part where he ripped it up? His speach was unimpressive and I think it might be taken from someone else.

• zeb
    zeb

sam whisky you get the zeb medal.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Diest, I think that's in another video.

• Sam Whiskey
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I abhor fundie Christians imposing their viewpoint on public schools. I become livid. Unfortunately, all the conservative GOP nominated justices have changed the balance. Public schools are almost powerless to ban these demonstrations.

It provokes me. What can't an Al-Qaeda stand up and recite jihadist views? This is America, not Jerry Falwell land. This student would never do it in NYC or someplace where Moslems, Jews, and mainstream Christians would jeer, walk out, and sue, sue, sue.

I do respect the fundie view. Public schools are not public forums. First Amendment rights never extended to students in public schools. Try the same stunt in France. I view it completely as a stunt. Try pulling it off in front of me. A majority of Roman Catholic bigots control the court. Unless Obama can name some justices to offset them, it is only going to get much worse.

First, it was federal funding for Notre Dame students to teach Roman Catholic students in parochial schools was all right b/c they were college students. My tax dollars and your tax dollars are subsidizing the Roman Catholic Church and its doctrines, regardless of your view. This directly violates the First Amendment, IMO. Next, high school students can impose their views and commandeer public school space and time. They say they will voluntarily stop at elementary school students b/c they are too impressionable and not mature. Yet, only a few years ago, they said college students were unique. Soon, we will be required to recite the Lord's Prayer and cross ourselves, while we bow to the Vatican, eight times a day at work, at home, at play, and at public school.

Public school was great for me as a Witness b/c I had a break from Witness indoctrination. I met Jewish students and other Christian faiths. We co-existed. Our parents taught us family values at home. I was dragged to KH and my classmates to the nuns. This practice enabled us to work together. This country is not so slowly becoming the Taliban.

I must admit that Roman Catholics were not viewed as American or Christian for a long time. It was very wrong. Two wrongs do not make a right. I will give them what loose change I have for reparations if they will behave as Americans.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Sam Whiskey: the absence of God in our schools has created nothing but a society of self indulged Godless people with no moral character

...I think the point from this young guy was that we (christians) are sick of being repressed. Everybody's got freedom of speech except for us

---

I love the sweeping generalizations and baseless claims, all without a shred of evidence to back it up.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I will still make sure,they have a Safe Place to Post.

LOL...from what I've read there...they need protection from each other...lol

Christians geesh! It gets messay...LMAO!

• stillin
    stillin

I would probably have cheered too. He has as much a right to stand up for his beliefs as another valedictorian who recommends hard work, social responsibility, or the myriad of other things these speeches go on about.

What really irks me is the kids who tout nothing!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Sam Whiskey: the absence of God in our schools has created nothing but a society of self indulged Godless people with no moral character

----

Really? So, if a Christian is not learning about god in school, they'll be "godless" and have "no moral character"?

That doesn't say a whole lot for Christian churches or the Bible then, does it Sam?

By your argument, the secular school system has more power to make people 'godly' than Christianity does? Interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit