Valedictorian Rips Up Preapproved Speech, Recites Prayer Instead

by Sam Whiskey 469 Replies latest jw friends

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Would most of us find it annoying to go to an event, where speakers were supposed to speak on a particular subject, a subject that had been reviewed by the organizers and approved, only to have them speak about something else?

This is really the core point that Marvin, Sam Whiskey and others don't want to understand. Those students weren't attending a religious convention. So, for this Valedictorian to hijack the room to spout his personal religious opinions was rather disrespectful.

I does appear, though, that he had the chutzpa to say what he wanted to share about what makes him tick.

I wonder if Marvin, Sam and other would be so forgiving if this student had spoken about atheism, reinstituting human slavery in the USA, why pedophilia is not so bad, or what he thinks are the virtues of The Holocaust and Naziism? Since his "chutzpa" seems to be the most important consideration, not his subject matter, he should have been allowed to speak about those things with equal protection.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Marvin-

You seem to have difficulty taking your own advice:

It takes a little mind to feel offended, or somehow compromised or put upon, because an individual invited to speak shares whatever is their beliefs.
  • cantleave
    cantleave

That's my point! We have as a society removed ourselves so far from God that we have lost our moral compass.

Only completely ignorant people, 10 / 10 on the stupid scale, believe that there is a correlation in the belief of a mythical sky daddy and a moral compass. Yes, that means I am calling YOU stupid, I have no qulams in pointing this out.

• Unicorns
    Unicorns

Sam Whiskey, I think you and the Christian religion are lacking a moral compass. You live in a country where there are laws separating church and state. If you are in a public forum, keep God out of it. Is it not enough that you're in the majority, but you have to shove your immoral religion down everyone elses throats? Seems like a dick move to me.

Just practicing my freedom of speech.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Oh, come on! Let's really let the sh** hit the fan:

What if he was a Fundie Christian White Supremacist and recited the Motto of the KKK?

In some redneck parts of the US he'd have gotten some applause for that too probably.

Sam, speaking louder will never make you right.

Consider the fact that you might really just be wrong on this one. Humility sucks.

Doc

• Unicorns
    Unicorns

Oh, and the Boyscouts receive government funding, meaning that they are a public organization, meaning that their homophobic policies are illegal.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's not the first time Sam has put his foot in his mouth.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

cantleave: Only completely ignorant people, 10 / 10 on the stupid scale, believe that there is a correlation in the belief of a mythical sky daddy and a moral compass

--

Whenever I post studies that show conclusively that the most secular societies are better off than religious ones, and that, in fact, the most religious nations also have the highest prison populations, crime rates, and moral decay- the religious nuts ignore it and continue on with their hopelessly ignorant religion= morality nonsense.

Facts are so inconvenient to the zealots.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley
    It's not the first time Sam has put his foot in his mouth.

That explains the "Athlete's Tongue" that just won't go away.

• Unicorns
    Unicorns

Well, his circular logic certainly isn't helping. He's contradicted himself so many times. "My religion is being repressed, but my religion is also in the majority so everyone should do what WE say" "The secular world lacks a moral compass, but one day Christians are going to get pissed off and get our guns and force everyone to be as moral we are." "I believe in freedom of religion and the right to express your beliefs, but if you're Muslim, you can't read from the Koran in the good ole' US of A because we're a Christian nation."

You keep digging that hole, Sam.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit