Valedictorian Rips Up Preapproved Speech, Recites Prayer Instead

by Sam Whiskey 469 Replies latest jw friends

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Sam Whiskey: What I hadn't realized (until I looked up Wikipedia) is just how many of us are in fact Christians. I hadn't realized that 73% of the nation identifies itself as Christian. This might explain why the crowd erupted in applause for the Valedictorian.

---

Which makes your previous baseless claim that Christians are being "suppressed" and are not given freedom of speech like other groups look even more laughably absurd.

Suggestion: do some research before making stupid claims.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Conversely, Muslims shouldn't read from the Koran in this country, it's a Christian country

---

I love it! Reverse "suppression".

Sam, I guess religious suppression ("repression") bothers you only when your religion is the one you think is being suppressed.

SW: I think the point from this young guy was that we (christians) are sick of being repressed. Everybody's got freedom of speech except for us

• Joliette
    Joliette

I understand why he did it, but sometimes Christians want it both ways: They want freedom of religion, but they dont like free speech. (No Offense to Christians on here). Kinda reminds me something, or somebody...mmmmmmm.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

DJS ~ "Good grief you all,

This speech was completely inappropriate. He used a public forum, not a religious one, to espouse his own personal religious beliefs. What arrogance. Why would he think that anyone else would want to listen to it, and would you all feel the same way if his god of choice was Allah, Buddha, Mohammed, the rock behind the school or any other imaginary creature? Would he be feeling the love if his prayer was to Satan? That he is in a "majority" right now in this moment of time makes it nonetheless pathetic. My only caveat is his youth."

Ahh, but the time for tolerance may be waning. He used this public forum to send a very strong message, and the message is, Christians are not going to lie down and play dead just because it's the PC thing to do. The tide may well be turning...

"Why would he think that anyone else would want to listen to it?" - Did you hear the applause in the video? American Christians are tired of the PC....all 73% of them.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

SW: Ahh, but the time for tolerance may be waning.

---

So, in your view, Christians have had it with the idea of tolerance?

SW: Christians are not going to lie down and play dead just because it's the PC thing to do

Sam, by your own posted stats, the USA is 73% Christian. Are you suggesting Christians are "repressing" themselves and are tired of it? Or does "tolerance" mean you're going to rant until the other 27% converts to your views?

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

@Fakesmile ~ "what does it say about our future when this guy who has an imaginary friend is the highest ranking in his grad class?"

It says the 73% Christian majority rules and the 2.4% American Atheist will just have to suck it up...

xchange ~ "So 73% of the nation (audience) thinks that lying is ok? Isn't that an attribute NOT desirable for a Christian? (again...scratching head)"

Lying..what are you talking about? Please clarify.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Sam Whiskey: it's a Christian country

I could tolerate most of your comments, but this is just stupidity. (And I do consider myself a "Christian".)

The USA is NOT a "Christian" country.

We specifically have "separation" of church (religion) and state (government) including state funded education.

The Bill of Rights are not to protect the 73% majority of citizens, it is to protect the rights of the 27% minority.

(Stepping off of soapbox.)

Doc

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Yes, Shirley. Christians have gone along with the PC way of doing business, but I think they're getting tired of it. Now that I think about it, that may also be why the minority in the government wants to take away as much of our gun rights as they possibly can. They fear a Christian uprising at some point, I'm just guessing.

Why else would you want to take guns away from God fearing Christians? Maybe, and just maybe, because someday they might get really pissed off... After all, that's how this country got it's start, from a bunch of really pissed off Christians who weren't going to take it anymore.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

My next question to Sam Whiskey is:

Do ALL Christian sects receive freedom of speech equally in your view? Or, will you attempt to repress the Christian faiths you disagree with?

Will the Christian faiths you disagree with have to "suck it up" along with the atheists and Muslims?

How many Christian denominations are there?

About 34,000.

There are about 34,000 different Christian groups in the world since AD 30. This is according to the World Christian Encyclopedia published in 2001. 1,200 different Christian denominations exist in the United States alone. Some groups classify Christianity into 8 meta-groups, namely Roman Catholicism (the largest), Eastern Orthodoxy, Oriental Orthodoxy and Assyrian Churches, Protestantism, Restorationism, Anglican Communicants, Pentecostal, and others.

http://www.numberof.net/number-of-christian-denominations/

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Jolliet ~ "I understand why he did it, but sometimes Christians want it both ways: They want freedom of religion, but they dont like free speech. (No Offense to Christians on here)."

When you're 73% of the population, you have a unique ability to "exert pressure" in ways the minority cannot. That's what pisses off the minority, they can't control us...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit