• cantleave
    cantleave

If it was to Satan...I'd stay awake to hear that...LOL

LOL - I agree

oops...double post. That clearly got my attention...LOL

Somethings are worth repeating

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

what if he ditched his PREAPPROVED speach and practiced his first ammendment right on the subject of athieism? ill bet the good christians would be singing a different tune. also what does it say about our future when this guy who has an imaginary friend is the highest ranking in his grad class?

• DJS
    DJS

No one wants to take away his freedom of speech, and if I had been in attendance I would have quietly and respectfully listened (while groaning inside). That is not the point of this. "Christians," and I use the term loosely, would be unlikely to grant someone else the "freedom of speech" to espouse thier love for Satan, for example, in such a forum without complaining loudly and without saying that the Satanists are trying to force their viewpoints and beliefs down their throat.

The young man isn't in prison as far as I know. He used his freedom of speech. He abused his freedom of speech. Life goes on. But (wise) school administrators and legislators and councilmen and women, most of whom are "Christian" in this country, are trying to curb this because they rationallly see the problems inherent with it. That is what we are talking about. Or we could simply rotate the prayer amongst the various belief systems and their make believe gods; that would be fair. And ridiculous.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

now i cant get the tune to "shaft" out of my head.... shut your mouth, but im talkin bout jesus. than we can dig it. damn right.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Stillin ~ "I would probably have cheered too. He has as much a right to stand up for his beliefs as another valedictorian who recommends hard work, social responsibility, or the myriad of other things these speeches go on about.

What really irks me is the kids who tout nothing!"

That one of my biggest points. It appears that this guy has a moral compass for life and he's not afraid to let the world know. I think most kids lack that.

• Comatose
    Comatose

This was a classless act. Not everyone is the same religion, there could have been religious people who were non Christian there. Also could have been atheists there. It's an attention grabbing statement that was not heartfelt. Classless.

• xchange
    xchange

Sam Whiskey: That one of my biggest points. It appears that this guy has amoral compass for life and he's not afraid to let the world know. I think most kids lack that.

So lying is part of his moral compass? (scratching head)

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

What I hadn't realized (until I looked up Wikipedia) is just how many of us are in fact Christians. I hadn't realized that 73% of the nation identifies itself as Christian. This might explain why the crowd erupted in applause for the Valedictorian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States

Religious affiliation in the U.S. (2012)
    Affiliation% of U.S. population
    Christian73
    Protestant48
    Evangelical Protestant19
    Mainline Protestant15
    Black church8
    Catholic22
    Mormon2
    Eastern Orthodox1
    Other Faith6
    Unaffiliated19.6
    Nothing in particular13.9
    Agnostic3.3
    Atheist2.4
    Don't know/refused answer2
    Total100
  • xchange
    xchange

Sam Whiskey: I hadn't realized that 73% of the nation identifies itself as Christian. This might explain why the crowd erupted in applause for the Valedictorian.

So 73% of the nation (audience) thinks that lying is ok? Isn't that an attribute NOT desirable for a Christian? (again...scratching head)

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Suppose he was a Muslim and recited an Islamic prayer.

Would you be so giddy if the student had been a Hindu and stood up and recited- 'We worship thee O Three eyed One, Lord Shiva'.

I would not have a problem with that if it were a positive uplifting message. The challenge for other faiths, is that, this is America, and America is 73% Christian, so that dog won't hunt.

Muslims, Buddhists, etc.; I wouldn't read or quote from the bible in an Islamic nation out of respect for the majority in that country. Conversely, Muslims shouldn't read from the Koran in this country, it's a Christian country. However, as Stillin said, if it was a bridge-building, positive message, most Christians would be OK with it, including myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit