Need Help

by ThisFellowCheap 70 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Excuse my stubbornness tho, I must still protest

that I never asked anyone on this site for money in my request:.....ThisFellowCheap

..........................http://www.quotehd.com/imagequotes/TopAuthors/tmb/william-shakespeare-dramatist-the-lady-doth-protest-too-much.jpg

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" is a quotation from the 1602 play Hamlet by William Shakespeare. It has been used as a figure of speech, in various phrasings, to indicate that a person's overly frequent or vehement attempts to convince others of something have ironically helped to convince others that the opposite is true, by making the person look insincere and defensive.

In rhetorical terms, the phrase can be thought of as indicating an unintentional apophasis—where the speaker who "protests too much" in favor of some assertion puts into others' minds the idea that the assertion is false, something that they may not have considered before.

• steve2
    steve2

I hear what you're saying ThisFellowCheap. I could have been more careful in the wording of my responses and, I guess Minimus could have too ( but I so understand his response given your OP).

You say racism is present.

I say you have not seen firsthand the impact of "Nigerian" scams on relatively very kind and good-natured folk who are usually quite poor and vulnerable. The scams use the very same style and method you used in your OP - and the scams from your fellow citizens gave ruined lives of people - even here in New Zealand.

You could do worse that openly acknowledge how perfectly understandable posters' negative reactions have been. Instead, you repeatedly 'protest too much'.

Set an example, if you want a better reception. It's as simple as that. Given you started the OP it would be refreshing if you dropped the tiresome protest and made instead some healthy acknowledgements that you have the ability to convey you actually 'get' why posters would react the way they have.

Agsin, upon reflection, I could have been more careful in expressing my view. I do regret causing you any unnecessary upset.

• ThisFellowCheap
    ThisFellowCheap

@steve2, I do appreciate the mellowed tone. I also do acknowledge the harm many "Nigerian" scammers have done both in past posts and even in this one. In fact, I clearly stated that one of my reasons for asking was because of "unfortunate image" my country has concerning internet scams.

I have no big deal tho 'protesting too much', that's just a matter of perspective. To the Watchtower, the exJW 'ladies doth protest too much'. So continued protest might be a sign of innocence.

While my due respect and sympathies go to those who were swindled, for academic purposes, it might interest you to find out that most of the scams usually involved both parties resolving to do something illegal- most likely including money laundering. Many tho not most of those scammed were greedy- hoping to make a quick buck albeit illegally without any fear of prosecution.

Also allow me to disagree with you about the OP being similar to those used by scammers. A sampling of such scams will show you that the template almost always involves dangling the prospects of huge profits for a little financial help. It is often targeted at an individual and not community cos that makes it harder to convince all. I felt some posters only saw a fraud because a Nigerian is involved.

An unbiased read of my subsequent response will show I understood that people will disbelieve most likely. I also tried to answer objective points of disapproval, misconceptions doubts. What I lashed out at were the abusive and insensitive comments- I believe there is absolutely no excuse for hate. It wouldn't be excused for a black South African to attack or kill a white simply because some other whites kill his dad. So while I know how much some Nigerians have hurt some people I don't think it's enough reasons to be abusive to one.

Good to know you are from New Zealand. How's da kiwi? Enjoy your weekend.

• Simon
    Simon
    @Simon, I think you have falsely misrepresentated my desire. At notime did I wish my identity to be hidden. Either by omission or commission, you have given a wrong impression of me. I hope you will be truly sorry about that

Bullshit. You wanted other people to setup a fund on your behalf to hide your identity. That is fraudulent.

Your entire attitude is now being shitty and insulting to people who are simply pointing out why your request comes across as 'scammy'. You then start accusing people of racism as well. Pure comedy gold.

YOU are the only person who owes anyone an apology pal. Wise up.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Bullshit. You wanted other people to setup a fund on your behalf to hide your identity. That is fraudulent.

Your entire attitude is now being shitty and insulting to people who are simply pointing out why your request comes across as 'scammy'. You then start accusing people of racism as well. Pure comedy gold.

YOU are the only person who owes anyone an apology pal. Wise up......Simon

................................Image result for Thumbs up

• sunny23
    sunny23

"I have so far tried all means possible to appeal for the return of it, with my parents going to radio stations to plea with those who stole it to return it eve if for a financial recompense with the guaranty of no police harassment but all to no avail."Cheap

I must ask, how much was offered as financial recompense by your parents on the radio? Logically it would at least need to be what that laptop is worth in "used" condition. Perhaps it would be to you worth "new" condition considering the value of the information lost. Your parents were willing to pay a reward but not for a new/used laptop? Is it because you are looking to get this...

------------------------ $30,000 ------------------------

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Somehow I felt a fraud going on here.

But what easier way to get money by making up a story in your head and tell it people to incite empathy and ask for money. This does happen quite often on the inter-net where people are being disingenuous with their story where their real objective is to create a money purse where people willingly drop money into it for themselves, wait awhile then take the money out and do whatever you want with it. All orchestrated by the anonymity of the inter-net.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I wonder if a Nigerian scammer has ever been scammed himself. I guess it's a bit like saying has tmo3 every worn tight pants. But if anybody can find me a verified documented case I'd be interested to read it.

It's interesting as the only other case I know of where a person openly stated he was from Nigeria, it also had to do with money. Dose anyone remember the story of a ex-jw Nigerian who had a friend who had immigrated to England (who was also ex-jw). He was living on the street and needed money to get back on his feet. Because he was DFed wasn't been supported by his family, and couldn't ask for help from jws. Dose anyone remember that one.

• talesin
    talesin

Here is the Nigerian version of gofundme ......... try this.

https://www.impartfund.com/

xx

• minimus
    minimus
    Do called it from the beginning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit