Who left or got stumbled over the 1995 generation thing?

by Julia Orwell 134 Replies latest jw experiences

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

What I find despicable and so very dishonest is the

face the Watchtower ALWAYS puts the BLAME on

the people in the Kingdom Hall who faithfully support them.

They NEVER confess their own sins or take responsibility

for leading people astray and making false predictions.

For those of us who were there in the 60’s ,70’s, and 80’s

There was no ambiguity or guessing about it, the Watchtower

and the Awake in its masthead, stated empathically and

without and reservation that the people who were alive in

1914, not born in 1914 , but as they always said

“of an age of understanding in 1914” those people

would be alive to see Armageddon.

It was not open to any altered interpretation

and people led their lives accordingly. It was always about

the urgency of the specific date of 1914 and the specific

generation that was “of an age of understanding” to see and

understand world events, specifically WW1. Then to say,

something like “well meaning “ or “understanding” Since

when does the Watchtower allow individual “understanding” ?

The doctrine of the generation of 1914 being specific to the

life span of those people alive and of an age of understanding,

was pivotal and fundamental to all Watchtower

teachings, to try to muddy the waters and claim

“the teaching in the WT Nov 1 1995 offered

“ no fundamental change” is a bald faced LIE

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0cm; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

What I find despicable and so very dishonest is the

face the Watchtower ALWAYS puts the BLAME on

the people in the Kingdom Hall who faithfully support them.

They NEVER confess their own sins or take responsibility

for leading people astray and making false predictions.

For those of us who were there in the 60’s ,70’s, and 80’s

There was no ambiguity or guessing about it, the Watchtower

and the Awake in itsmasthead, stated empathically and

without and reservation that the people who were alive in

1914, not born in 1914 , but as they always said

“of an age of understanding, in 1914” would be alive to

see Armageddon. It was not open to any altered interpretation

and people led their lives accordingly. It was always about

the urgency of the specific date of 1914 and the specific

generation that was “of an age of understanding” to see and

understand world events, specifically WW1. Then to say,

something like “well meaning “ or “understanding” Since

when does the Watchtower allow individual “understanding” ?

The doctrine of the generation of 1914 being specific to the

life span of those alive and of an age of understanding, was

pivotal and fundamental to all Watchtower teachings,

to try to muddy the waters and claim “the teaching in the

WT Nov 1 1995 offered “ no fundamental change”

is a bald faced LIE

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

FONT ISSUES ? SOME GLITCH ?? WHATS GOING ON ?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I'm on the fence on this one but leaning toward thinking that they will do 1975 all over again with 2034. (Limiting Man's years to 120 since the last days started in 1914- similar to God's decision to limit Man's years to 120 years before the flood.)

No, really. Hear me out.

All the valuable property in Brooklyn will be gone. Virtually every Hall they use in the world will belong to the organization. Printing will either be entirely or mostly a thing of the past. All that will be left will be some lesser number than 7 million members by 10 years before 2034. Except for that last guy and maybe a couple of new stooges, the Governing Body members will be old or dead by 2034. Ten years from now, they will be desparate for money as the "overlap" thing is really starting to hurt donations and retention.

Someone will look at the recruiting numbers and donations that came out of 1975 and will come out with "new light" about this (with the prepared excuses about not being inspired for 2035). The recruiting might retain some kids, but the real prizefighter will be in donations to help all the brothers and sisters undergoing intensified persecution as Satan gets desparate.

My wife will still be young enough to get out (if she stays until then) in 2035 and enjoy her retirement free from Watchtower. That's my dream.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

2034 is both close enough and far enough along to serve the purpose of a carrot on a string, to lead them.....nowhere.

• Joliette
    Joliette

For me it was the 2010 overlapping generation teaching. That was it, my black ass was out!!! Then I heard about the other failed predictions, I couldnt believe my ears. Listening to the old talks about 1975. I'm like OMG what have I done with my life.

• Joliette
    Joliette

2034 is the new date?

• Dagney
    Dagney

That was the turning point for me. As soon as I read it, I almost audibly heard, "dun dun duuuunn!!!" I knew right then and there they were making up as they went along. As we talked about it amongst ourselves, servants and elders, they got it too...but obviously it didn't affect them the same way it did me.

I heard F Franz's talk a few years earlier, his mouth to my ears, that this system wouldn't last beyond this century. In my JW mindset, I didn't think it could either. When we sailed through 1999 in 2000, I was D-O-N-E.

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

"With similar sincere intentions, God’s servants in modern times have tried to derive from what Jesus said about “generation” some clear time element calculated from 1914. For instance, one line of reasoning has been that a generation can be 70 or 80 years, made up of people old enough to grasp the significance of the first world war and other developments; thus we can calculate more or less how near the end is."

This is just so laughable. This "one line of reasoning" was an official WTS doctrine for decades (although they kept stretching it, and stretching it, and stretching it, until it finally broke) and you would have been labeled an apostate and tossed out on your ear if you expressed doubt about it! The way this is worded is so disgustingly disingenous. Only the WTS leadership and their eager-to-believe-whatever-bullshit-they-come-up-with flock are together so collectively deluded to be capable of such breathtaking, mind-numbing dishonesty. It was a similarly worded, back-handed non-apology (I think it came in the late 90s) directed towards JWs who had served time IN PRISON for refusing alternative service, only to have "increased light" on that particular matter come out decades later, that really got my attention and was one of my first WTF??? moments as a JW.

At the time the 1995 study articles came out, I'll be honest - i barely paid attention to them. It just seemed like another set of long dumb boring study articles that I didn't read before the meetings when they were covered, and I must have just zoned out during the study meetings. I didn't realize that there was a major change. I had only been officially a JW for a couple of years by 1995, and so I didn't realize how long they had been pounding on the old-light Generations teaching to keep the end ever close. Oy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit