Who left or got stumbled over the 1995 generation thing?

by Julia Orwell 134 Replies latest jw experiences

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

I was in my early twenties at the time. Although I was a born-in, I really became serious about the truth in the late 80's, so this was really the first major revision that I personally experienced (any earlier revisions would have just been new information to me). I was excited to learn it, and I obediently changed my thinking. However... I remember thinking how could the "old" teaching have lasted for decades if it was incorrect? Also, I noticed the fact that both the "new" teaching (at that time) had scriptural backing just as much as the "old" teaching had. That puzzled me as well. But I was faithful.

I can't say I was "stumbled", maybe I was... but it certainly added to my early cognitive dissonance. If anything, the 1995 update laid the foundation for the later changes. When the generation changed again in 2008 to be the anointed, I started asking some hard questions that made people uncomfortable. I quickly backed down realizing I was playing with fire, but the damage was done in my mind. I realized I had taught an untruth for 13 years and that bothered me. Finally, when it changed again to the overlapping-generation in 2010, all the bells and whistles in my head went off. The BS indicator pegged out.

By this time, I had just completed one personal project on the blood doctrine using just the Bible -and realized the organization was scripturally wrong. I was looking for another project, so I chose the "generation". It was stuck in my craw. If overlapping generations was the best the GB could come up with, I figured I had as good, if not better, a chance to figuring it out myself. I did a detailed verse by verse study of Matthew 24 and Luke 21. It was then that I discovered Luke 21:8. After thoroughly studying that verse, it all made sense... the organization was a false prophet... no wonder they couldn't get their stories right. God was letting them hang themselves.

I write all this to show that although one particular teaching may not be the breaking point for all, it can lay the groundwork for changes that will definitely come later down the road. That's what happened to me. I envy you who realized the 1995 teaching was wrong. Although I didn't see how obvious it was, it nevertheless did have an impact on me -subtle, but it was there. It proved to be a chink in my armor that wasn't exploited until the teaching changed again. Now it's obvious to me.

And so... the teachings right now that are changing, like who the F&DS is, although obvious to us, may not be the breaking point to some, but they do have an impact that may not manifest itself for several more years. I love the July 15 2013 Watchtower! We couldn't have done a better job ourselves! Trust me, if people aren't leaving over these changes right now... I promise you that they will in the future. And that makes me smile.

Honestly, the organization writes the best apostate literature.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think it did for me too, in a sort of way, despite the fact that I was baptised two years later in 1997. When they dropped the generation teaching, in a way I knew the game was up.

• BroMac
    BroMac

not me. didnt have a clue. Lost a few friends who later DA'd over it, but I honestly didn't know what all the fuss was about.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Yep, it was the big crack in the wall of the dam for me that led to the floodgates opening. It was the first thing that caused a little light bulb to go off in my head that said:

"THIS IS NONSENSE - FOR DECADES THEY TAUGHT THE GENERATION WAS ABOUT 80 YEARS AND NOW FATHER TIME HAS CAUGHT THEM WITH THEIR PANTS DOWN. EVEN 80 YEARS WAS A STRETCH SCRIPTURALLY SINCE THE FIRST CENTURY GENERATION WAS 37.5 YEARS FROM 33AD TO 70AD. THIS ISN'T NEW LIGHT, ITS JUST SHIFTING THE GOALPOSTS BECAUSE THEY GOT IT WRONG IN THE FIRST PLACE. THE END COULD STILL BE DECADES AWAY. I'M NOT BUSTING MY BALLS FOR THE WATCHTOWER SOCIETY ANYMORE."

JW's are punch-drunk. Their intelligence has been insulted so many times now by the Watchtower fraudsters that it is a wonder they have the brain-power left to even mark up their Watchtowers.

(The fonts and font size options are not working properly on this site for Google Chrome.)

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

The 1995 generation change was the beginning of the end for me. It was my 1975. I seemed to be the only person in my congregation to realize it was a change that basically meant the JW leaders didn't have a clue.

• mP
    mP

The WTS should just switch to the muslim calendar, that buys them another 500 years.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

The generation change on 2010 was a biggie for me as well. I only heard about it at a family gathering and the others were discussing it and I was like "Excuse me, can you explain what your talking about?" as I had an usual job at the time and missed the Watchtower and Assembly part where these would have been discussed.

I kinda blew a gassket right then and there saying things like "you have got to be kidding me, really?!!" I had a few chuckles like this is ludicrus (sp?) when I caught myself and stopped as the others there did not find it so amusing, they were looking at me like I was crazy for not believing it. (invasion of the body snatchers kinda feeling) Internally I was thinking " How do any of you REALLY believe this hogwash!!! you have got to be kidding me, this is so obvious that they are making these things up as they go along"

So I ask my wife later why did she not fill me in on this new light and she said that she knew how I always reacted to new light from the WTBTS and did not want to rock my boat as it were.

I do remember having a reaction back around 1995 to the generation change but cannot truly remember what the teaching was prior to that and also what exactly changed about it in that year.

NJY

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JULIA ORWELL:

I was one such person. I remember sitting in the hall feeling like I got sucker punched. Funny thing, I had mentioned a few years prior that they were running out of time with their chronology. But, when I actually saw their weasel words in print I was sick.

They were done as far as I was concerned and should have packed it in. Being ever optimistic, it took another five years before I walked away!

• blondie
    blondie

Here's articles that addressed the 1995 generation teaching in 1997:

*** w97 6/1 p. 28 Questions From Readers ***

“The Watchtower” of November 1, 1995, focused on what Jesus said about “this generation,” as we read at Matthew 24:34. Does this mean that there is some question about whether God’s Kingdom was set up in heaven in 1914?

That discussion in The Watchtower offered no change at all in our fundamental teaching about 1914. Jesus set out the sign to mark his presence in Kingdom power. We have ample evidence that this sign has been in course of fulfillment since 1914. The facts about wars, famines, plagues, earthquakes, and other evidences bear out that since 1914, Jesus has been active as King of God’s Kingdom. This indicates that since then we have been in the conclusion of the system of things.

What, then, was The Watchtower clarifying? Well, the key was the sense in which Jesus used the word “generation” at Matthew 24:34. That passage reads: “Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.” What did Jesus mean by “generation,” both in his day and in ours?

Many scriptures confirm that Jesus did not use “generation” with regard to some small or distinct group, meaning only the Jewish leaders or only his loyal disciples. Rather, he used “generation” in condemning the masses of Jews who rejected him. Happily, though, individuals could do what the apostle Peter urged on the day of Pentecost, repent and “get saved from this crooked generation.”—Acts 2:40.

In that statement, Peter was clearly not being precise as to any fixed age or length of time, nor was he tying the “generation” to any certain date. He did not say that people should get saved from the generation that was born in the same year Jesus was or the generation that was born in 29 C.E. Peter was speaking about the unbelieving Jews of that period—some perhaps being rather young, others being older—who had been exposed to Jesus’ teaching, had seen or heard of his miracles, and had not accepted him as Messiah.

That evidently is how Peter understood Jesus’ use of “generation” when he and three other apostles were with Jesus on the Mount of Olives. According to Jesus’ prophetic statement, Jews of that period—basically, Jesus’ contemporaries—were going to experience or hear of wars, earthquakes, famines, and other evidences that the end of the Jewish system was near. In fact, that generation did not pass before the end came in 70 C.E.—Matthew 24:3-14, 34.

It must be acknowledged that we have not always taken Jesus’ words in that sense. There is a tendency for imperfect humans to want to be specific about the date when the end will come. Recall that even the apostles sought more specifics, asking: “Lord, are you restoring the kingdom to Israel at this time?”—Acts 1:6.

With similar sincere intentions, God’s servants in modern times have tried to derive from what Jesus said about “generation” some clear time element calculated from 1914. For instance, one line of reasoning has been that a generation can be 70 or 80 years, made up of people old enough to grasp the significance of the first world war and other developments; thus we can calculate more or less how near the end is.

However well-meaning such thinking was, did it comply with the advice Jesus went on to give? Jesus said: “Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father. . . . Keep on the watch, therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming.”—Matthew 24:36-42.

So the recent information in The Watchtower about “this generation” did not change our understanding of what occurred in 1914. But it did give us a clearer grasp of Jesus’ use of the term “generation,” helping us to see that his usage was no basis for calculating—counting from 1914—how close to the end we are.

*** w97 5/1 p. 29 Questions From Readers ***

Could it be said that the recently updated understanding of the word “generation” at Matthew 24:34 allows for the idea that the end of the system of things could be delayed into the distant future?

That is certainly not the case. On the contrary, the recent improved understanding of this matter should help us to keep in constant expectation of the end. How so?

Well, as The Watchtower of November 1, 1995, explained, Jesus applied the phrase “this generation” to contemporary wicked people. (Matthew 11:7, 16-19; 12:39, 45; 17:14-17; Acts 2:5, 6, 14, 40) It was not, as such, a description of a fixed length of time beginning with a specific date.

In fact, “Questions From Readers” in that same issue of The Watchtower focused on two key points: “A generation of people cannot be viewed as a period having a fixed number of years” and, “The people of a generation live for a relatively brief period.”

We often use “generation” in this way. For example, we might say, ‘The soldiers of Napoléon’s generation knew nothing about airplanes and atom bombs.’ Would we be referring just to soldiers who were born in the very same year as Napoléon was? Would we be referring merely to those French soldiers who died before Napoléon did? Of course not; nor would we by such a use of “generation” be trying to fix a set number of years. We would, though, be referring to a relatively short period, not hundreds of years from Napoléon’s time into the future.

It is similar with our understanding of what Jesus said in his prophecy given on the Mount of Olives. The fulfillment of the different features of that prophecy proves that the end of this system is close. (Matthew 24:32, 33) Remember that according to Revelation 12:9, 10, with the establishment of God’s heavenly Kingdom in 1914, Satan was cast down to the vicinity of the earth. Revelation adds that Satan now has great anger. Why? Because he knows “he has a short period of time.”—Revelation 12:12.

It was thus appropriate that The Watchtower of November 1 carried the subheading “Keep on the Watch!” The following paragraph aptly said: “We do not need to know the exact timing of events. Rather, our focus must be on being watchful, cultivating strong faith, and keeping busy in Jehovah’s service—not on calculating a date.” Then it quoted Jesus’ words: “Keep looking, keep awake, for you do not know when the appointed time is. But what I say to you I say to all, Keep on the watch.”—Mark 13:33, 37.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Thanks Blondie

Here's that "apology"

It must be acknowledged that we have not always taken Jesus’ words in that sense. There is a tendency for imperfect humans to want to be specific about the date when the end will come. Recall that even the apostles sought more specifics, asking: “Lord, are you restoring the kingdom to Israel at this time?”—Acts 1:6.

With similar sincere intentions, God’s servants in modern times have tried to derive from what Jesus said about “generation” some clear time element calculated from 1914. For instance, one line of reasoning has been that a generation can be 70 or 80 years, made up of people old enough to grasp the significance of the first world war and other developments; thus we can calculate more or less how near the end is.

However well-meaning such thinking was, did it comply with the advice Jesus went on to give? Jesus said: “Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father. . . . Keep on the watch, therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming.”—Matthew

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit