Who left or got stumbled over the 1995 generation thing?

by Julia Orwell 134 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Its amazing that anyone could ever buy into this crap 'This Generation' is very specific. Jesus didn't say 'a generation' or just 'generation' but 'This'. The bible in the early parts of Matthew and other books says 'so and so be-gought this generation and so and so had this generation and so on. Also when in the desert the Israelite were told the generation would not make it into the promise land. The Bible is very clear what a Generation is. If we were to apply the GB definition of what 'this generation' means to the Israelites of the exodus, they would still be wandering around in the desert today.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

And i think the 2013 fds change will wake a lot up too. Watch this space in about 5 years' time.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

!Thank you, Think About It, for saying this:

I left mainly because, by this time in my JW experience it became apparent to me that with all the Governing Body worship that had started, all the peculiar people & disfunctional families in the JW religion, how JW's acted & treated people, along with all the kooky JW rules & beliefs.....that there was no way this JW religion could be God's only true religion on earth.

Each of those things you listed, could have come from MY list. Also i came to the exact same conclusion.

The very last time I was out in fs, I remember so well. A young woman with lots of energy and little commonsense, bullied me into going in her vehicle instead of agreeing to go in my car. As she drove she tried to read the territory card, as a result scared the crap out of me. I mean, side to side across the lane, hitting the brake suddenly in front of traffic, then speeding up, etc. I have been with people like that many times in service and it seems like they think they own the road and don't have to consider other cars on the road, because when you're out in God's service you're so much more important than anyone else.

But also for years I heard about how we were supposed to be humble and put others ahead of ourselves. And that's just one contradiction in millions.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Yes, the inconsistencies finally got the better of me too, helped along by the internet.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

I allowed the GB to think for me and dictate my conscience. If the GB says so, it must be true. And then I woke up....

• erbie
    erbie

Yes, I remember the anouncement as though it were yesterday. I was an attendant at the 1995 Cardiff District Convention and I remember standing there near the pram parking area thinking, "oh dear, I know why they have done that, its to buy themselves more time". I did carry on for a while after that but the penny had dropped and it was never the same for me again.

Cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias must have evaded me (thankfully).

• gorgia2
    gorgia2

This thread is WONDERFUL.

gorgia

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I was out by then....but went to the wt study (where I wasn't known) when the subject was covered....I was curious as to how the subject would be handled. I will never forget it. No one seemed to notice anything....just read the paragraph...answer the question.... no one got it. I wanted to run up to the platrorm and shake the conductor.... so scary to see th brainwashing as it was happening.....after the scales had dropped from my own eyes....

Coffee

• life is to short
  • losingit
    losingit

I'm making sure I go to the September meeting just to see what will be said. That July 15 WT magazine is a disaster. It is THE reason why I began to investigate TTATT. I haven't been to a meeting in quute some time. But this one I have to experience. Maybe I'll go to one where no one knows me, and throw in a super confused comment to mess with everyone's brain. I was too busy with a baby for the 2010 change to overlapping generations, but I remember thinking- - this makes absolutely NO SENSE! One of many teachings and practices I tossed to the side until I could no longer ignore them.That mountain of doubt along with the pain caused by the unChristian act of disfellowshipping made me say-- FORGET THIS!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit