Who left or got stumbled over the 1995 generation thing?

by Julia Orwell 134 Replies latest jw experiences

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

were I still in now I doubt if I would know what the basic tenets of jws are now..... what was in one year is out the following year....big like fashions....it just goes round in circles.....so glad I don't have to call on householders and insult their intelligence with jw spiritual arrogance.....utter twaddle.

• sir82
    sir82
    Why do Witnesses buy into this? Have they really been dumbed down that much?

You'd be surprised.

Well maybe not.

I definitely remember more passionate belief when I was a kid (a number of decades ago).

Today, no one discusses doctrine. Not even amongst themselves while in "car groups" in field service.

I think they are afraid to. They are afraid they'll come off as "dumb" for not understanding the latest incomprehensible gibberish, or they're afraid they'll express some sort of doubt which will cause the only friends they know to view them with "apostate suspicion" glasses.

• TD
    TD
    I think they are afraid to. They are afraid they'll come off as "dumb" for not understanding the latest incomprehensible gibberish, or they're afraid they'll express some sort of doubt which will cause the only friends they know to view them with "apostate suspicion" glasses.

I think that's the difference. It didn't used to be incomprehesible gibberish. It was entirely fantasy, but like a good science fiction story, it had an enternal cohesiveness. When you watch a good sci-fi or fantasy movie today, there's usually a writer in the closing credits charged with 'continuity.'

I think the JW's eliminated that position in their own organization years ago.

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Marked

• sir82
    sir82

It didn't used to be incomprehesible gibberish. It was entirely fantasy, but like a good science fiction story, it had an enternal cohesiveness.

Yes, that is it exactly.

Back before anyone paid much attention to 607 vs. 587 BC (so the calculation of 1914 seemed plausible), back when there was a "King of the North" vs. "King of the South", back when a "generation" was a "generation", back when the number of "genuine anointed" was decreasing in line with actuarial tables, etc.....it was defensible if you bought into the premise.

Now so many of those "perfectly fitting" pieces no longer apply, and they've had to twist & wriggle to try to make what remains still fit, it looks like a Rube Goldberg contraption.

So the emphasis has shifted to "Obey our AUTHORITY!". There is nothing else to say.

It's quite sad, in a way.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

There's no more internal cohesiveness in the JW mythology.

One generation becomes two (or more).

144,000 members of the Slave becomes just 8.

New bible, new ugly songs, new ridiculous magazines, KH's sold...

Religion was supposed to be an oasis of steady tradition in people's lives (because truth never changes), but the WT is a new religion in each 5 years (or less).

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Good piont about no one talking about the bible anymore. Went camping with some friends over a weekend and the only bible talk was about something to do with weather or not theres aliens on other planets or not. Oh yes the girls had brought thier watchtowers to study mostly by themselves but we know thats not discussing the bible.

• jhi29
    jhi29

Holy moley these comments out here are amazing! I am gobsmacked trying to make sense of all the ludicrous changes WTS has made under the patented Big J's tacit and absolute approval!!! A bunch of old mostly white dudes who somehow got hold of Big J's private number... kinda like the pope.

My memory is shaky at best on the doctrine I walked away from around 1997. I was fading fast by then already. I think really the Rev Grand Climax book study happening around that time was my limit. The complex idiocy-- exactly like a sci-fi novel written by an adrenaline junkie-- of their interpretive two-step of what amounts to John of Patmos' wet dream was breaking through the glossy perfection of their mind control over me.

I'm reading this and other reputable x-jdub blogs slowly, trying to absorb the clear insanity of where WTS has taken things without being dragged down and wiped out by it. I see aspects of my personal healing journey needing this kind of revisit, tie up loose ends, find out what my lovely young niece has to face being raised in this hot mess... I genuinely couldn't fathom the notion that it could get worse than when I left it in my dust. I still read in astonishment. *head-shaking*

Thanks to all who are honesty sharing, even perhaps risking your own confidentiality, to keep the light of day on this jdub madness.

• jhi29
    jhi29

Dumb question... does JW.org offer a comprehensive description of the current flavor of their beliefs for public consumption?

I remember being mortified by *having* to bring Schools and JW brochure to my teachers every freaking year to prove that I am not allowed to have any fun, any celebrations, any anything 'worldly'. It gave the slam-bam basics, and I wonder what's its replacement?

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The Jw's have really dumbed down their religion, they dont say much other then listen to the FDS/GB, Obey the GB and be blessed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit