An open response to Cedars PM yesterday . . .

by zed is dead 98 Replies latest members adult

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

nicely and strongly put zed is dead. And I'm glad that there is finally some action on AAWA's part. I think the ones who join the new AAWA facebook group will be more realistic about AAWA and hopefully less cavalier.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Did I miss something or is Lady Lee one of the 'founding members' of AAWA? That is, one of the 8 people in that original list when they launched 3 weeks ago.

I know that some have left since, most noticably Barbara Anderson so Lady Lee may have too

Has Lady Lee said anything? I just saw her 'moderating' here.

Like I said, I may have missed it.

• Kensei01
    Kensei01

Hi everyone. I must have been living under a rock as I am having trouble understanding what has happened. Time and a busy schedule dosent' allow me to login as much as I would like; nor to follow all of the comings and goings here. I would say I have always enjoyed Cedars posts over the last couple of years; though I would say the more recent ones tended to make me think perhaps he was getting stuck in the details. Can some one give a brief synopsis of this issue? Is this other site in competition with jwn? I have lurked and posted once in a while here for a while now and really like it. There a lot of great people here who have some really interesting views and I read them with interest. Of course there are some "others", who obviously have and agenda or whatever and I generally ingnore them. Anyway forgive me for asking. I'm just trying to figure this out.

Have a great day!!

Kensei

• tornapart
    tornapart

AAWA is a new organisation designed to help ex JWs. Cedars is the president. It has a website. The full name is Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists. It also opened a FB group and a FB fan page. The FB group was supposed to be secret but due to poor privacy on FB it allowed anyone who joined to add any of their friends without their consent. Hundreds were added in one day. That was about 2 weeks ago, and up until now nothing had been done about it to address the issue. Unfortunately some have been adversely affected and have to do some serious damage limitation because of being 'outed'. That's about it really.

• jws
    jws

I don't know about the Facebook page or if people realize this. I asked my daughter to go onto the AWAA this morning since she uses an alias and nothing tracked to actual names.

I didn't see a group, except for a spanish one. There is a Facebook page for AWAA though and I visitied.

She's not a member of the group, so I wanted to see what just anybody out there could see. I could see posts people made and who made them. Some of them are by people using aliases, some appear to be real names. Same goes for likes. I can see who liked it.

If I were some JW nazi at their headquarters, I'd be mining all of this info, researching each person, then outing them to their body of elders.

I don't know about the AWAA group that was on Facebook (the auto-added people). It was supposed to disappear today and as of this morning, I couldn't find it.

All I can say is if anybody thinks this will now make people safe, I seriously doubt it. If those auto-added people were ever visible to the public, or even to somebody who joined under the guise of being an ex-JW, they could have mined EVERYBODY'S name and links to their FB pages. Even if the group is gone now, that doesn't mean the members are safe.

They may be safe in terms of JW friends who don't really go to their ex-JW friend's webpage everyday, etc. But I'm sure there are JW nazis that have captured links to all of the members, and it's very possible, IMO, that everybody will be researched and reported.

If you want to remain a little more anonymous on Facebook, first create a gmail account with an alias. Then, create a Facebook page using that e-mail and another alias. That may not be true anonymity, but it'll be anonymous to the JWs.

Likewise, to the OP. If you want to e-mail Cedars, you could create an anonymous gmail account. I have other groups I participate in that are best to have some degree of anonymity for, because the Watchtower isn't the only people with a stick up their arse. It's simple to create a gmail account to use on these other e-mail lists.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The Facebook page is still up

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

the facebook page is not moving or changing

the facebook group will be down at 12 est.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

@ torn apart - Good summary of what happened in the last couple weeks. That's what happened.

@ Outlaw - You make a good point in that because FB is not that secure, any group formed inside of it will (de facto) not be super secure. The bottom line is that if you are a fader and need to protect your privacy do not join the group unless you have a different idfentity on your Facebook right?

That's something we want ALL to be aware of so they don't put themselves in danger of being outed!

• tornapart
    tornapart

@Ray... If they had had a forum of some kind attached/linked to their website like you have to your JWstruggle site, then all of this trouble could have been avoided. Facebook has got too many privacy issues to be truly safe for this type of thing.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

That is true...

And hindsight is 20/20 and I wish I had way more $$$ in my bank account!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit