AAWA is here!! (The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists)

by cedars 535 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    If someone added you to a group you didnt wanted to be part of.......you can always remove yourself from that group....

That is a really good solution for those that know they have been added before the proverbial hits the spinney thing. I have my doubts that there wasn't a quick solution, like deleting the compromised account and starting over with better protection in place.

How many don't know they have been added yet? Just because you check your FB every day doesn't mean every ex-JW does the same.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Isn`t it about time we killed this thread ? It`s like a dog chasing its own tail ,get over it.Its a new venture ,their will be hiccups , mistakes can be made , these people have gone to a lot of trouble ,time , to try and make a difference , give them some slack please.

Their heart has been in the right place .If you have a problem with AAWA then withdraw and get on with your life , otherwise let them get on with the project to refine and make this new venture a success without this continual bickering .And I was one who queried the FB saga .Get over it .

smiddy

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I don't think it is clever to throw people some slack when their choices/actions/inactions/whatever affect people who never signed up to their ideals.

Their hearts being in the right place doesn't make it ok if they 'out' someone who is working from a different agenda to their own.

Me ....

I have no desire to 'reform' the WT. I want it gone. That is not AAWA's stated objective, and I do not want my name associated with AAWA by some dickwit's over-enthusiasm.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

This thread has gone terribly off track.

First, members of AAWA did not add people to the Facebook group, that was done by an unrelated person. The group is set as secret, but facebook privacy leaves a lot to be desired, and it highlights that if anyone is trying to fade and be involved with exJWs in social media, they need to set up a second identity. Sadly, it is the cult that forces such behaviour, so remember where you should be directing your anger. If you were added to the group and it has caused any issues, remove yourself and honestly tell your loved ones that you wanted no part of the Facebook group, and were added unknowingly along with a number of other JWs.

Second, AAWA's key objectives are not to reform the Watchtower. They are:

AAWA is committed to two key objectives:

1. Raising awareness both inside and outside the Watchtower organization of its damaging beliefs and practices
    2. Assisting those who wish to leave the organization by making it easier for such ones to get the help and support they need

I am quite sure everyone in AAWA would like to see the day when the Watchtower no longer exists. However, if external pressure led to the improvement of practices, such are stopping shunning or better treatment for those abused, at least that is a small victory that will improve the lives of those trapped within the cult.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

There is something wrong with the settings in the Facebook group. It's not secret at all. It is an open group. I followed the likn to it and I could se all postings on it. This was just some minutes ago. Somebody must have made a big misstake with the group settings.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Dismissing Servant, if you hover over the lock next to the name, it says it is secret, and that only members see posts. Are you a member? If you are not, then it highlights the flaws in Facebook. As I stated, if anyone is fading they should not be using their own identity on Facebook if they want to have any connection with exJWs.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

As far as I know I'm not a member!

No, someone must have made a big misstake with the gruop settings.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Dismissing servant are you confusing the AAWA page with the secret group by any chance?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I just checked from my daughters ipad and she could see a lot of information without logging in. I will contact the administrator of the group and see if it is an issue with the settings, or just facebook. But as my daughter said, there is nothing secret of facebook.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

No, I was at the Facebook page! I could read postings from members and see their names.

Yes, something is wrong with the settings. There are other secret facebook-groups, and I have never seen this problem before.

By the way, if you have a secret group, you cannot give the members right to add people, this will be missused in a lot of ways. One "false" member can add hudreds of people to the group. You will have to have some administrators that activley add people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit