AAWA is here!! (The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists)

by cedars 535 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

I think I have got the explanation.

There is two AAWA-pages on Facebook! One Fan-page, that is open, and one group page, the group page is supposed to be secret.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Cantleave...yes, I probably did. I hope so.

Maybe this is important to give information about. The Fanpage is open and is supposed to be open.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I just checked with the admin and it is set to maximum security. You worked out correctly that it is the fan page that is being seen. If someone clicks "like" on the fanpage, it will show on their profile page, and if they have not changed the default settings, on their friends newsfeed.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

"Ultimately though, I don't think people leave the WTS for any logical or reasoned argument so names may be irrelevant anyway. In their own time people see what the WTS is really like, typically through personal experiences or something affecting them directly."

I missed this one. Thank you Simon. This is probably the most important thing that has been said in this thread. You can't get people out by information. It's about psychology, not facts. To reach people in a cult you have to be aware of the cognitive dissonance and how it works.

But..when a person in a cult gets a feling that "something is wrong here".....then he/she will be open to facts, but not before that.

• flipper
    flipper

I agree with the founders of the AAWA in what they are trying to accomplish. It's just that the means-whereby taken to accomplish this task has unfortunately hit a snag to put it mildly . First off - My question is this regarding the point of " once group decisions are made that you have to stick with it " - What's the point of having an association or group of consultants if decisions can't be changed or challenged for the better cause of promoting those group ideas in a more successful manner ? Like a name change perhaps ?

My other thoughts , and I'll try not to ramble is this - For those within the AAWA who no longer have to deal with JW family still within the organization , or no longer care if they are outed then it's all well and good with this Facebook faux pas happening. But for those who are fading or even have financial inheritances, close family ties, or even still JW husbands or wives they are living with who may discover this AAWA group join on their spouses Facebook site- who becomes responsible for the possible domestic hurricane or tornado that occurs within a family all in the name of " exposing the WT Society " ?

As I recall in Ray Franz's book " Crisis of Conscience " he stated that Ted Jaracz had made a statement concering the WT Society that indicated that the " needs of the individual Witness are not as important as the needs of the organization so that the purpose of the organization will continue or progress. " I certainly hope that is not the case here that the needs, or voices of individuals are ignored or shut out so that the purposes of the AAWA are promoted in spite of leaving a trail of domestic or personal agony to ex-JW's who unknown to them were added to this association through their personal Facebook accounts. Perhaps the AAWA might share with board members just HOW they intend to fix this problem and it may soften the blow or allay some fears and suspicions.

One reason I have NEVER gotten a Facebook account in my 9 years out of the JW organization is because of possible situations like this that might occur. As another poster stated also. I have close personal friends I've talked to who have been affected by this Facebook situation as well who are still trying to stay in touch with JW relatives whether for emotional reasons, financial inheritances, or are spouses of such. Someone has to take responsibility for this or it's just another case of " passing the buck " that we see occurring in our society with many business corporations.

It's the kind of thing that is a difficult thing to do when one is in business or running a corporation is to get out of one's own way and be able to see " the forest through the trees " and not allow stubborness, ego, or non willingness to listen to constructive advice or criticsm thwart possible positive influences so that you can accomplish the objectives you initially set out to achieve. Been in business myself for years so I know a little about dealing with people in a constructive manner. I wish you folks in AAWA the best, but I feel you have some work to do, including a little mopping up of this mess and a thing called " damage control "

• sd-7
    sd-7

"Beware of organization. It is wholly unnecessary."

I'm not much of a joiner, so I really wouldn't want any formal ties to AAWA. I'd be more of the Dash Rendar type. I might do a mission or two if you guys asked for some help--heck, my essay is on InsidetheWatchtower.com after all--but I would not want to join or be involved directly. I respect its intentions, but I just don't trust anyone to the extent that I'd want to team up with them.

It is good if this becomes a sledgehammer as opposed to the swarm-of-ants-in-the-pants approach, and I wish AAWA the best, but I really prefer to be a lone wolf, myself.

Congratulations on creating an entity for the fight for freedom. Just be careful not to repeat the WT's mistakes in how you deal with others, and I'm sure this can accomplish a lot of good.

--sd-7

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Good comments Flipper. I feel that being a part of AAWA should mean that Facebook is optional. If FB is REQUIRED then that excludes many for the reasons you outlined.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Cedars..

Check your PM`s..

........................  photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I am quite sure everyone in AAWA would like to see the day when the Watchtower no longer exists. However, if external pressure led to the improvement of practices, such are stopping shunning or better treatment for those abused, at least that is a small victory that will improve the lives of those trapped within the cult.

Unfortunately, this will never happen. The Watchtower operates on the logic that no external entity, incorporated or not, has the right to alter the inner workings or functionality of a corporate entity. That's why they established a corperation in the first place. So that they could establish procedures that couldn't be influenced by anything other than the law of the land.

IMO, they're playing a game of chicken with the outside world. Much like the Westboro Baptists, but on a massive scale. If a country legalizes their practices they are allowing a known predator right onto their citizen's doorsteps. On the other hand if they ban or regulate their practices the Watchtower makes sure the country is deemed an emeny of religious freedom. It's a catch 22 of the kind that a James Bond villian would concoct.

Like Westboro they mean to to turn freedom of speech AGAINST freedom of religion. Make you choose one or the other. Doomsaying is a New World Order agenda. Modern inventions such as democracy, freedom of religion, speech and thought are all against the idea of a global government. We as a species have recognized that a government of, by and for the people provides the best quality of life. Not by magically solving everybody's problems overnight, but by providing opportunity to as many people as possible.

When they should be having faith in people the Watchtower, and all fundamentalist religion, preoccupy themselves with self-contempt and misanthropy. I pity them as they pray for humanity to be comsumed with fire and brimstone. Their artists are obsessed with the gruesome death of men, women and children. They get comfort from reading apocalyptic literature such as Daniel, Isaiah and Revelation. They huddle up in windowless churches and isolate themselves from the world while then preaching that they gather others FROM isolation.

They are not going to suddenly say, "Let's start treating people right." And if they did, I'd wonder what they were up to, because their trust wore out the second they established their fraudulent religious organization. But I applaud the effort that AAWA is taking. I give a standing ovasion to the Open Offer to the Governing Body located at JWActivists.org. When dealing with an organization like this, you must give them all their "chances" so to speak. Who knows, maybe the way world works will change and they will come around.

What I have witnessed over the years was the interent placing a fire under the Watchtower's hindquarters. It called them to action and everybody was watching. When the bright light of the internet shined on the Watchtower they could have made the change right then. They could have made a public apology to the world for getting over eager and step down from the lavish positions of power their members deny exist. They could have used the internet to make the first social network, but they were too busy and amping up their indoctrination routine and writing articles calling the internet Satan's handiwork. Really? A tool that facilitates coexistence of the human species? That's what they think the Devil wants? From what I've read God is harmony and the devil devides.

-Sab

• fizzywiglet
    fizzywiglet

BlindNoMore

I used to be someone else on the forum and contributed many more comments, but have not been back in a while. I don't remember my old password. But this issue has upset me enough to talk about it here. And you seem to be intimating that "newbies" on a forum don't deserve respect or consideration. Tsk tsk.

And again, no, it's not as simple as just "removing yourself". You really think a JW elder, for example, is going to buy "I don't know why I'm a member of that group"? You don't think they're not going to be keeping an extra close eye on you from then on even if they do pretend to buy it?

And JW Facts, no, it was not an unrelated person. I've already mentioned that it was somebody associated with AAWA, and it's another red flag to me that AAWA is now trying to distance themselves from this person. If AAWA wants to be a legitimate nonprofit, then guess what? They're responsible for the actions of their volunteers and coordinators.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit