Bipolar Landlady kicks me out!

by Terry 140 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

have you seen the Silver Linings Playbook .. it is supposedly very insightful on bipolar.. I haven't but, it is on my must see list, as I have know two people who suffer from this disorder... It's very unsettling to say the least when you encounter it first hand .

I did see this movie and it is wonderful! Top notch.

The adverts for it are slightly off center giving the impression it is just a wacky same-old same-old film about eccentrics.

IT ISN'T!

The are real people with real problems who are trying their very best to be "better".

I highly reccomend it to anybody and everybody.

Incidentally, this is the first film with Robert DiNiro in years where he has filled the full potential of his acting gifts.

I BELIEVED he was real. I know people like him. The actress who played his wife was perfect.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Not so bad when I look at it the right way.

My eldest daughter is going to let me sleep on a couch in her home office. So, t'aint so awful.

What is that old saying? You have to step down to step up?

Good, Terry. You will be in your daughter's home. That's already a big step up from sleeping in a garage.!!

• ataloa
    ataloa

Sorry to hear all that, Terry.

If you need to be alone to regroup or anything, I have an empty lake cottage you could use and all the home-grown ground beef you can eat; I'm 100 miles south though.

• Terry
    Terry

When a 6 feet 4 inch father sleeps on his 43 year old daughter's 4 feet long couch there is a real context being framed around life!

Her husband's father recently dropped dead of a heart attack. Very unexpected, of course.

The dad was trying to call for help on the telephone because he couldn't reach his pills.

They had the ringer shut off so they could watch their favorite TV show.

They got the message the next morning.

Now just imagine the GUILT!!!!

They have two children (my grandkids) and have their hands full since they both work full time.

They don't have room---not really. But, they do have a warm room and that infinitesimal couch.

The garage had a rubber exercise mat on it but no heat. Last night it got down to about 28 degrees.

When my daughter heard about that she was ready to strangle me.

So, what I'll do is this....I stay gone all day (don't want to hang around like a giant potted plant) dropping off applications for PT work

here and there and when I'm sure they are all in bed I'll go in to the small office and curl up like an oversize alley cat and sleep.

In the morning I'll leave a note of gratitude and be off so that she won't be compelled to make breakfast for yet one more mouth.

Repeat and rinse!

When she was 13 her mom was killed in an automobile wreck. (Her mom was an alcoholic JW). I raised her and her younger brother and sister all by myself and it was the happiest years of my life. I really learned to grow up and stop being the selfish jerk most young guys are by nature.

Each of my kids moved out and got a job when they were 18 without me EVER asking them to or even mentioning it. They were just simply some kind of magnificent human beings who were responsible people from birth!

So, I want to leave a light footprint out of gratitude while fully acknowledging how blessed I am to have a daughter who cares.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Man, that is a real bummer. I don't know what I would do if I were in your situation.

• Terry
    Terry

Man, that is a real bummer. I don't know what I would do if I were in your situation.

Sometimes we don't know how surrounded we are by angels of mercy who are mere human beings!

I like to tell the story of my former wife's great grandmother whom everyone in the family called Dee Dee.

Dee Dee was a quiet, poised and well-mannered lady when I met her in 1987. Her husband had died years and years

previously. She lived by herself.

Her son (my father-in-law) called and visted her each and every day.

When she died at the age of 89 I attended the funeral.

I've been to enough funerals to know what it is like being at one.

But, this time I was in for a surprise!

It was a cold January that year and the day of the funeral was no exception.

We all expected only the family to be there. Maybe 14 "other" people.

After all, when you are 89 your old friends are likely all passed away and it is pretty difficult to make NEW friends as you age.

We arrived at the funeral home at 3pm. The weather forecast was snow.

Inside where the body lay in state was a kind of auditorium. I don't know the official name of it. You sit (like in a Kingdom Hall) and one by one

family members view the body or say a few words of remembrance.

I arrived with my wife and kids about the same time as my Father-in-Law. We were about 30 minutes early.

At first, Sam, (it was his mom who had died) was pretty sure we were in the wrong auditorium!

Why?

There were over a hundred people already seated!

Moreover, Sam didn't recognize ANY of them!

After a few anxious inquiries the funeral director showed Sam the registry. It is a book the guests sign. Clearly, these people knew

where they were and whose funeral it was.

Sam couldn't wrap his mind around this for a long time. It just didn't make sense.

These weren't OLD people. These were people of all ages.

What was going on.

Well, as the time approached for the ceremony, a few people spoke to Sam quietly when they knew he was the surviving son.

He was in tears.

Time for the Service!

Sam stands before the full auditorim and thanks everyone from the bottom of his heart for coming out on a really bitter winter day.

He apologized for not recognizing most of the faces. He went on to say that he had been told by several people there why it was they were unknown to him.

As it turned out, Dee Dee had been helping people ....for years. Many, many years.

Quietly.

Privately. Various ways.

She never told her own son about any of it. When she noticed or heard that somebody needed help---she helped.

These people were the grown children and relatives of people Dee Dee had helped over the years when those persons were really in a bad way.

It made such a difference in their lives they could not sit at home and merely read the Obituary without paying respect!!

And, as if that weren't special enough, there were a few nurses there as well. These nurses worked in the retirement home where Dee Dee spent her last months of life when she was too weak to stay by herself. These nurses had never been around a woman so free of complaint and so quick to reach out to others like herself in the retirement home! Dee Dee had been so private about it and so effective at cheering the hopeless and encouraging the weak---it did something to these nurses who were more used to hearing complaining and self-pity.

THEY TOO simply had to honor her by being there for her funeral!!

As the small ceremony came to a close Sam addressed the group.

"I just want to say that immediately following this service there will be a gravesite gathering. I DO NOT EXPECT any of you to be there because I've just been informed it has begun to snow quite vigorously and your attending THIS service is already more than my heart can bear. So, thank you."

When the Funeral Home limousine delivered us to the Hebrew Rest Cemetary by the gravesite there were flurries of whipped snow like bright strands of confetti spinning down in huge flakes from the treetops and clouds.

Around the coffin was the very same group of about a hundred people! Every one had taken the extra effort to be there as well!

I've never seen a grown man cry like Sam at that moment!

The full measure of THEIR gift passed to the son of the woman who helped them and their parents and relatives.

Later he said he knew he had a very special mother with a big-hearted generosity. But, until the day he bid his farewell in that cemetary with her coffin surrounded by strangers who WANTED to pay respect to her life--he had no idea what a miracle really was.

It changed me. That day. I learned to "pay it forward".

Sometimes you are up. Sometimes you are down. Pay it forward. When it counts the most----there it is!

Life can be a bummer but it doesn't have to be. We learn. We grow.

I learned that day.

• Pickler
    Pickler

Terry, wow, your attitude, how you raised your kids & how you are living your life, it's amazing! Thanks for sharing this with us,

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Terry, You are such a good guy.

My Brother was in prison for 2 years, less a day. The few brothers that were with him, that I knew, all left the Truth(tm). Life after prison, without help, was dreadful.

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society are cruel villains, masquerading as up-right Popes and honest. What a laugh! WTB&TS, Pope and honest in the same sentence? lol

My Brother and the other brothers that went to prison were really treated like scum, when they returned home. It took a marriage to the presiding overseer's daughter, and a few more years as a regular pioneer, without making any real money, that finally did him in. His wife's ambition was to be a missionary. My Brother, after being in prison, needed a less stressful and structured life. After 2 children, the marriage was doomed.

Are you writing a book about JW life?

Have you ever read, or has there ever been put together, any journal of JW brothers that are taken by the FBI to the County Jail, then Prison, and has there been any follow-up after their release? I don't know of any.

In behalf of my Brother, I would like to send you a small gift. Where might I send it?

Just Lois

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Terry - I believe everything happens for a reason. I've been kicked to the curb so many times over the past few years it's not even funny. But each time there has been something really good that happens to pick me up. So I choose to focus on that.

I've just recently gone through something similar to you financially, where I had to go to my youngest daughter and ask for a temporary loan. It's hard. AS a parent you feel like you are supposed to be the one that supports them, who is always the rock, the tough one. Having to go to them for help doesn't feel very good. So I understand.

Glad your daughter has stepped up for you. You know, if my dad needed to come stay with me, I'd welcome him with open arms and be thrilled that he was willing to ask for my help. It would make me feel so valued and special that my dad thought so much of me that he was willing to come to me in his time of need. I bet your daughter (and your other kids) feel the same. You've been a wonderful dad. Don't be afraid to let them give some of that love and caring back to you. And I bet your grandkids are tickled at having you around, too.

I'm not as old as you, but I'm close. I've been pounding the pavement looking for work at a time when most of my peers are considering retirement. It's not a bad thing to get a job. There are many places that value the kind of wisdom and experience people like us can offer. ANd maybe it would give you something interesting to do. You never know.

Best of luck. Thinking of you.

Mamo

Oh, edited to add: I forgot. I wanted to comment on your cousin. Yes, she may well have a diagnosable mental illness. But often people behave in certain ways simply because they can get away with it. I think people around your cousin have been walking on eggshells and enabling her behaviour for a long time. EVen people with mental illness can be quite aware of behaviour limits and can adjust if those around them refuse to tolerate crap.

• scotoma
    scotoma

Just go bankrupt. Do it yourself. It will keep you busy until your check comes. There is nothing wrong with bankruptcy. You never asked to play the game. It just means a bunch of overpaid doctors lose 1% of their income.

Message me. I can walk you through the process.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit