Bipolar Landlady kicks me out!

by Terry 140 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

Fun times.

A year and a month have passed since I moved in to the house where my Cousin Deb and her husband Bobby live.

I had a small but comfortable room, tv, etc.

A nice cozy family situation, you might say....right?

I pay $600 a month to defray expenses.

Hunky dory.

Sure. Sorta.

Until the first few eruptions!

Turns out my Cousin Deb is (probably) bipolar and paranoid........from time to time.

I never knew!

She is as sweet as she can be 99.99% of the time.

But, like the little girl with the little curl right in the middle of her forehead

When she is good she is very very good and when she is bad...

she is horrid!

The first explosion took place while the two of us were trucking our bicycles to the bike trail. We both love outdoors. Nice ride. Sunny day.

Then: WHAM!

She suddenly turned on me and started screaming at me in the truck.

Talk about being taken by surprise! Wow.

Called me every name in the book and accused me of whatever popped into her head and told me "if I had a gun right now I'd shoot you dead!"

Fun times, like I said.

Okay....we got past that. The next day she told me she was under stress and her medication wasn't helping.

What medication? For what?

Apparently, she flies into rages and has for 35 years.

I spoke to her husband, Bobby, privately and he gave me a sick smile.

"She almost kicked a guy's ass in a bar one time. It took two of us to pull her off of him! She'd have killed him!"

I suddenly felt very sorry for her and for Bobby. How could I help?

Bobby told me she just needs understanding and lots of kid-glove handling.

That was 7 months ago.

Since that time the eruptions have gotten more frequent.

I've been on the recieving end twice and the rest of the time Bobby gets the screaming rage treatment.

I don't know how he's been able to handle it for 35 years. I really don't.

She never apologizes. In fact, she is only vaguely aware of anything she said while in a fit of rage!

I referenced something she had said and she looked at me like I was lying!

Cut to the chase...

Day before yesterday I get an e-mail from Deb.

She is in the NEXT ROOM, mind you, and is sending me an e-mail.

Okaaay.

It was a seething little piece of venom!

I needed to move and NOW!

Or what? The veiled threat sounded as serious as it ever has.

But, she made it sound as though this is what I WANT and always have wanted.

Strange. Sad. Unreasonable and mostly scary!

I spoke to her in person and told her how sorry I was that things "weren't working out" but that I would honor her wishes.

She looked at me like a gator eyes a meal.

She started asking for any birthday or Christmas presents she had given me and I handed them over without prejudice.

I swear it was surreal!

All this while Bobby was at work.

I called him and he was very apologetic and very sad.

"You two are the only family each of you has and it breaks my heart when she does this sort of thing. But, when she makes her mind up nobody and nothing can change it."

Turns out she simply stops taking her meds now and then. On purpose. She'll starve herself too.

Bobby has thought about commiting her--but--he feels like doing that against her will would break their marriage union forever.

So, this catches me at a very bad time financially to say the least.

I owe 48 thousand in hospital bills that I'm paying off in monthly installments and just two days earlier I had to pay for car inspections sticker and registration renewal!

We all have to budget but I budget like a son-of-a-gun!

A sudden disaster is very world-shaking.

I've temporarily moved into a garage until I can get something permanent. Yes, an actual garage:)

All because of a bipolar Cousin who won't take her medications.

I'll be okay in 20 days when my Social Security check comes but it is going to be very thin going until then.

I'm guessing this is a bipolar thing but Bobby can't confirm and neither would Deb.

Her mood changes are sudden and dramatic.

The only warning signs were a shift into negativity a day or two before the eruption (not always that much warning).

She will say something to you as though attributing a NEGATIVE statement or intention from your mind and not hers.

Then, she reacts to her own attribution AS THOUGH defending herself!

The only medication she has is Effexor which is for "depression."

I am guessing her therapist is simply responding to what he HEARS from Deb as the only source he has to go on.

Deb won't let Bobby talk to her therapist, you see.

She is very "controlling" and highly fixated and OCD as well.

Does anybody have any first hand idea what may be going on with her?

I'm worried because my 19 year old daughter goes over to her house every Sunday to cook with her. She loves it and enjoys it--BUT--my daughter

has never seen Deb in her BLACK MOOD and I'm very wary that this could make her a target one day unexpectedly.

Sigh.

I'm just confused.

• cofty
    cofty

Terry I'm sorry to hear what has happened and the effect it is having on your life.

I wish there was anything practical we could do to help.

I hope you find somewhere secure and affordable to settle down soon Terry.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Sorry you had to go through that Terry! This is just my opinion, but her condition doesn't sound like bi polar disorder to me. It sounds like Borderline Personality Disorder.

-Sab

• jgnat
    jgnat

Tell your BIL that I have committed my own mother - and my son - and both forgave me. My bi-polar mother has never had another hospital stay after the commitment and both now take their medications religiously. I instructed my daughter on how to get her ill husband committed, and she did. He also has not had a repeat hospital stay and remains on his medication.

My son forgave me within 72 hours. In the hospital in a safe environment and with calming medications, he got the rest he desperately needed.

These days, the commitment period is rarely over a month, and they are very good at stabiizing the patient quickly.

Your BIL deserves a life.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Sorry to hear Terry. Wish there was something I could do.

• blondie
    blondie

So a whole year before she exhibited this behavior? Could be for a lot of reasons.

Stress

ADHD

Menopause/menstruation (abnormal cases...not every one pops off during her menses)

Substance abuse

So sad for her husband and her...

• Terry
    Terry

Well, life is about CHANGE and how we adapt is up to us.

I'm adapting to my "garage" bed:)

I'm going to pass on the suggestion to Bobby about the commitment thing--however--I know from experience he will never do it. Or, he would have by now.

Even though I'm retired I'm looking for a part-time job. You'd think some smart business person would quickly snatch the chance

at hiring a 66 year old ex-convict who lives in a garage now wouldn't you:)

I drive to the Q.T. (Quick trip) in the middle of the day and eat the 1.50 hot dog (a do-it-yourself self serve style) and that takes the edge off

starvation. I know its funny but it ISN'T and yet it is:)

What doesn't kill us makes us......hungry...ha ha ha.

• Terry
    Terry

So a whole year before she exhibited this behavior? Could be for a lot of reasons.

No, it was 6 months before I detected the first outburst. She was stressed because Bobby had set off on his motorcycle from Fort Worth to North Carolina for a family reunion and she was seething about it. She doesn't like his side of the family and refused to go.

She warned me right there and then things might get strage. She asked that I take anything she might say with a grain of salt.

Well!

She came to me within a few days and told me her "PLAN".

She would take her 4 dogs to the Vet and have them put to sleep and then would divorce Bobby and move into a mental health facility!!

So THAT was my first inkling.

After that these episodes were monthly or bi-monthly.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I'm sorry to hear about your situation Terry...I hope things improve very soon.

Living with unpredictable people is a nightmare. My mother was a bit like that. It's hard work. I feel sorry for her husband too. But, it's his choice to live like that and do nothing about it.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Terry, I am sorry about your awful situation. I understand why you moved out, but that has been your residence for 13 months. Even a month to month tenant is entitled to a 30 day notice.

The other thing is why the heck have you been paying off a debt that you cannot afford. Who could? I think you made a mistake in ever agreeing to pay it. You should have contacted the Hospital Social worker. I believe you still can. You need to not have this debt forgiven. You need whatever money that you've been paying the hospital to live on.

Do you have any friends who can take you in temporarily?

Terry, Effexor is an anti-depressant. If your cousin is paranoid that's not going to help.

Her husbands passivity is scarier to me than her behaviour. She can't help her behaviour if she is mentally unstable and not medicated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit