Bipolar Landlady kicks me out!

by Terry 140 Replies latest jw friends

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Oh Terry, I'm sad for you. I hope you can get somewhere to stay soon, and that a part time job comes along to help you. It sounds like a really difficult situation and I don't have any advice really. You're in my thoughts and prayers though

Loz x

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

sorry that you are going through that. It does sound like bipoloar or mood disorder. My dad had it and it was undiagnosed until I was an adult. Bi-polars can become very violent. Dad beat the hell out of all 5 of us kids. I have PTSD because of it as well as one of my brothers.

I hope your cousin does not have children. I would tell your BIL to take this very serious. Depression meds WILL NOT work for this disease. She needs a proper mental health evaluation done preferably in a hospital setting.

Once my dad was diagnosed properly when he was in his 50s and on the right meds, he trully was a different person. He was a great grandfather to all his grandkids. He died when my kids were 6 and 8 they are now 18 and 20 and still miss him.

The right meds will make a world of difference.

For now what happened to you sucks but honestly you may be safer being away from her. I found with my dad that he would sometimes focus his aggression on one particular person and then it would escalate to violence.

I seriously hope your family intervenes to help this poor lady.

• Terry
    Terry

Rip sez: Terry, I am sorry about your awful situation. I understand why you moved out, but that has been your residence for 13 months. Even a month to month tenant is entitled to a 30 day notice.

This being a family situation I just choose to not view it as a formal month to month contract. It was casual and I made the choice to live there. So, for me it is tough titty time.

The other thing is why the heck have you been paying off a debt that you cannot afford. Who could? I think you made a mistake in ever agreeing to pay it. You should have contacted the Hospital Social worker. I believe you still can. You need to not have this debt forgiven. You need whatever money that you've been paying the hospital to live on.

I wanted to demonstrate honest intentions on my part and didn't want to be one of those dead beats who "let the taxpayers" pay for it. But, you are right about one thing, I will never be able to pay this off. I get calls from Debt Collectors daily about this. I didn't realize that Medicare wouldn't pay for it.

There is each and every year a one thousand dollar deductible! Didn't know that. My ignorance. My fault.

I really don't want to start a "poor baby me" thread. I'm just reciting facts and I guess I got carried away.

I can make it just fine once I get to the 20th of February. I refuse to borrow money from relatives or my grown kids. I just won't. I'd rather take a hot poker to the eyeball followed by a splash of rubbing alcohol :)

I'm trying to figure what it is I own that I could sell or pawn. I'll think of something. Just have to be resourceful, you see!

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle
    Terry- I can make it just fine once I get to the 20th of February. I refuse to borrow money from relatives or my grown kids. I just won't. I'd rather take a hot poker to the eyeball followed by a splash of rubbing alcohol :)

There is where we part company on this issue. Don't be too proud to ask or receive help from people who love you and are concerned for you. That's just asinine. You cannot continue to live in a garage or eat crap hotdogs. And seriously, at your age it WILL be difficult to find a job.

There's nothing shameful in needing assistance, but it would be a shame if you let pride stand in your way. Please let your children or friends know your circumstances Terry.

As for the Debt collectors be proactive and tell them not to call you anymore. By law they will not be allowed to. But you need to follow up and get this debt nonsense taken care of. Please call the hospital social worker regarding your circumstances and set up an appointment or ask them for a list of services you may be eligible for and start making some calls.

• Terry
    Terry

I hope your cousin does not have children.

Here's the thing. She DOESN'T and did not want kids because she has always known she is like this.

Her mom and my mom were like this.

But, each of us have reacted differently.

I wanted to be the best possible dad I could be and had 7 kids who are the center of my life and love.

Deb, went the other way. She has had hundreds of animals (fish, birds, dogs) over the years which she spends a fortune on.

My mom had a hair-trigger temper and would belt you across the chops.

Deb's mom simply had rages and no hitting.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Deb told me that the day she came home from school and told her mother she had started her first period her mom

took a photograph of Deb and blacked out her face and told her it was time for her to get out of the house and move on her own.

So, this is repeated behavior, if you ask me. (Although I didn't start my period!)

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

have you seen the Silver Linings Playbook .. it is supposedly very insightful on bipolar.. I haven't but, it is on my must see list, as I have know two people who suffer from this disorder... It's very unsettling to say the least when you encounter it first hand .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/reliable-source/post/celebvocate-bradley-cooper-on-mental-health-and-silver-linings-playbook/2013/02/01/0dab00a8-6c94-11e2-ada0-5ca5fa7ebe79_blog.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/movies/silver-linings-playbook,1219201/critic-review.html

good Luck

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Terry,

Hope you get back on an even keel real soon some days are stone hope it's not too long before you get the diamond days back I am sure you will.

Best Wishes ,

Edmond.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I feel for you. I rented out my spare room to a woman that after I found out she was a little looney and fly off the handle for nothing. After a couple of months I had my fill of her. I was ready to give her notice but she beat me to it and gave me her notice to move out. Once she was gone I decided it was not worth my piece of mind for the extra money to rent the room out.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Mental illness does run in families.

Glad you have a great relationship with your kids. I only have 2 and I as far as I am concerned the sun rises and sets just for them. You know what I mean.

You must of had it hard growing up with your mom too. Sorry for that but it seems you broke the cycle with your kids so that is wonderful.

Well, I am glad your cousin cannot put any kids thru hell but I do feel for her. Really her emotions are holding her hostage and it must suck for her that she cannot control herself. I wonder if she would be open to having a good mental health eval? Mental health has come a long way today.

Anyway, good luck to you Terry.

• Terry
    Terry

There is where we part company on this issue. Don't be too proud to ask or receive help from people who love you and are concerned for you. That's just asinine. You cannot continue to live in a garage or eat crap hotdogs. And seriously, at your age it WILL be difficult to find a job.

There's nothing shameful in needing assistance, but it would be a shame if you let pride stand in your way. Please let your children or friends know your circumstances Terry.

I was taught by my gradfather to never borrow or lend money. If somebody comes to me and wants to borrow I GIVE them the money as a gift. That way it doesn't destroy our relationship and I don't start looking at them differently.

If my circumstances get to where I can't handle them the rest of my family can respond the same way and I have no problem with that.

But I will NOT ASK. It is very unfair to to dangle hard times in front of others and pressure them in to a guilt-offering :)

I can tell when somebody is in need. They don't have to ask. If I have it I respond with something. I imagine most people are like that.

I'm able to make it 3 weeks on my wits and super hero resourcefulness:)

There are people waaaay worse off.

My touchstone of misery is my prison years spent when I was 20-23. I feel like if I can get through THAT I can get through anything.

So, I'm not insane or too proud. I'm just practical. Thank you for your concern, however, I do appreciate that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit