How Modern Christianity has failed Christians

by Christ Alone 277 Replies latest watchtower bible

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Abscent of anything quantative or qualitative.

Science is discovering that something like you are describing probably doesn't exist. The word "Nothing" (note the capitalization to differentiate it from the common use of the word) is coming to mean something different, quantum fluctuations, a world where it may be possible to actually measure how smooth spacetime is, where particles pop into and out of existence. This all happens in empty space that was once thought to contain "nothing".

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

See, EP? If you would've said something like that before, I would've loved it! Nicely done!

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Agreed. And it is not dishonest for someone to state that their faith is based on evidence. Perhaps not evidence that another person is willing to accept, but there is still nothing dishonest in stating the truth about your own faith.

Even better when you realize the truth about your own faith, whatever that faith may be in.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Cofty

What made you ask - Are you telling me you're not a commited naturalist?

Because of what you said about Presuppositionalism.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

As I said, CA, i know I can be abrupt. A few months back, someone at work got their feelings hurts when they wrote me a three paragraph question asking if something was possible and I wrote back "No." To be fair, I was boarding a plane and typing on my phone at the time....

• cofty
    cofty

Because of what you said about Presuppositionalism.

I still don't see the connection.

I said presuppositionalism is a cop-out, a way avoiding answering difficult questions.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

On Nothing, a cut-n-paste from Wikipedia....

In physics, the word nothing is not used in any technical sense. A region of space is called a vacuum if it does not contain any matter, though it can contain physical fields. In fact, it is practically impossible to construct a region of space that contains no matter or fields, since gravity cannot be blocked and all objects at a non-zero temperature radiate electromagnetically. However, even if such a region existed, it could still not be referred to as "nothing", since it has properties and a measurable existence as part of the quantum-mechanical vacuum. Where there is supposedly empty space there are constant quantum fluctuations with virtual particles continually popping into and out of existence.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

And to be totally honest, EP, when I was looking up definitions of "nothing" I was thinking "What about QM that demonstrates particles jumping from one place to another, going "out of existence", time traveling (in effect), etc. How does this effect "nothing"?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Cofty

I said presuppositionalism is a cop-out, a way avoiding answering difficult questions.

Do you mean difficult questions like these:

cofty-I am convinced there is no supernatural realm.

OK, what convinced you? The lack of "natural" evidence?

cofty-I am certain that methodological naturalism is the key to discovery.

The key to discovery of God?

• cofty
    cofty

You still haven't explained how my contempt for the intellectual dishonesty of presuppositionalism is connected to your suspicion that I don't fully embrace naturalism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit