How Modern Christianity has failed Christians

by Christ Alone 277 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There are some Christians who don't need to knock on doors. Their conduct in daily life is an ad for Christ. Going to church, boasting on scriptural knowledge, etc. is not that impressive. I've been fortunate enough to several such people. Of course, they would prob. be outstanding in any religion.

The Amish who forgave the murderer of young girls at a school had everyone amazed. The perp's wife was included in all of the services.

Quakers impress me. The Roman Catholic Church impresses me negatively but some aspects of the church, such as Catholic Charities, are very moving. k

Pagels reported that Christians were charged with crimes against humanity. Only baptized members could be present for the Eucharist. Calling each other "brother" and "sister" combined with eating "body and blood," one can see why they were so reviled. I am not certain when unbaptized members were allowed to attend Eucharist. This very negative feeling that Christians broke all human bonds changed when Christians stayed behind in plagues and ministered to all, not only Christians. Slavery was rampant. I believe I heard about 75% of the populace were slaves. The value of each individual in Church, the mixing of high class and slaves at agape meals convinced people something unusual was at work.

Words are cheap. Conduct is much harder.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Christ Alone

Do you think most Christians know who they are in Christ?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Speak to a Rabbi first and use wiki as a second source. The Torah does not mention an afterlife, this was a developed idea borrowed from other cultures which a Jew is free to believe or not but as any Orthodox Rabbi will tell you its not orthodox as in the Torah.

We've gone over this before dude, I have a close friend who is not only a researcher for the Jewish Research Center, but who's uncle is a high level Rabbi in the Canandian Jewish community and we discuss these thinsg quite a bit.

You are only partially correct and the source of that was NOT wiki, didn't you pay attention to the link?

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/afterlife.html

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/2970/jewish/Do-Jews-Believe-in-an-Afterlife.htm

http://www.orthodox-jews.com/judaism-beliefs.html#axzz2H2PHDg5X

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Sadly, deputy dog, no. I think the idea of being a brand new creation and being absolutely dead to sin is somewhat foreign to many. The knowledge that we are no longer the same after coming to Christ is missed by many.

And, btw, your previous post was not lost on me. You're right that we could focus on the intellectual excersise to the point of missing the need to be led by the Spirit. It should be more than just an intellectual excersise. However I think there is a big gap in knowing reasons why. Yes, belief is glorious. But it should also be reasonable.

• designs
    designs

Oh now we're down to 'dude' lol, hang onto your relics you apparently need them.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Designs and mp always tell me to go talk to a rabbi too. If I'm not mistaken it was for the same reason that designs told you to. Nice references, Psac.

also, I couldn't agree with you more, band. It matters not how well our apologetics are if we are living a life inconsistent with what Jesus taught.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Our belief is based on faith BUT our defence of that belief must be other than that, IMO.

We must be able to defend our faith with as much reason and intellect as we can.

• happytobefree
    happytobefree

Our belief is based on faith BUT our defence of that belief must be other than that, IMO.

We must be able to defend our faith with as much reason and intellect as we can.

,,,,I believe your walk should say everything about your faith. Jesus did not spend time defending the faith....but living the faith.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    ,,,,I believe your walk should say everything about your faith. Jesus did not spend time defending the faith....but living the faith.

He defended his views on a regular basis, both in word and deed.

As we should all do.

• designs
    designs

Its like a convention of JWs patting each other on the back 'good day in field service eh' real relevant lol

Let's bring back Thor or Mazda.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit