Will the 'Make Good Use of Our Official Website' discussion backfire?

by jw07 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

all of their presentation examples are just fanciful at best. Canned questions and answers from the "householder". It's been 8 years since I was out in service and I would rarely get someone to answer the door, let alone engage me in a conversation and then invite me in?

Maybe the WT should go back to the days of the talking heart and mind. At least that had some entertainment value to it.

On another note, it seems like the GB doesn't have much faith in the rank and file by their condescending articles. The day of handing out cards and having the householder read, or listen to a presentation might be in order again.

• cedars
    cedars

konceptual99

Can't wait to see cedars web stats over the week!

• Sunday - 621
    • Monday - 698
    • Tuesday - 931
    • Wednesday - 993
    • Thursday (so far, with 9 hours to go) - 780

I'm averaging 29 visits per hour for "JW.org" at this moment (88 visits in the last 3 hours).

Once the "surge" has subsided and I'm back down to normal figures I'll post a graph on this thread.

Cedars

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well who knows how long that surge can continue. Ya never know

• truthlover
    truthlover

I have a ten inch tablet -- no 3 or 4 g internet connection unless I tether my cell to the tablet -- which will cost me on my cell phone..otherwise it means I have to buy a Galaxy or Iphone and pay about 70.00 a month or a dongle and again, get I net connection..... just to do door to door... me thinks not

and ask to use someones computer when we are at a door!! no way.... and yes, they are cutting their nose off to spite their face -- the other web sites are profuse and as Cedars has shown, there will be a lot of people - in the truth or contacted, will get an eyeful...

and ask everyone to get on line!! -- 40 percent of people in our cong dont know how to use a tv remote with all the jigs on that, let alone turn on a computer and wind their way to the JW web site.. I was going to ask when are they setting up classes for folks, but didn't think it would go anywhere, but we were warned by an ex elder to be very carefull when looking for the societys site..there is a lot "of trash" out there, to quote

TL

PS- to the society -- good luck

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Gosh darn it don't you love a good thread! You know, threads that have open and honest posts in them, posts that help people Face the Facts and assist their Recovery from the organisation. Threads such as we have here have so much more value than certain others and help people develop their Ethos.

I think some good points have been raised here, namely that this move could be indicative of a further dumbing down of the ministry, and a return to the old presentation card / phonograph days. Even if theings don't go back to the old way, the ministry is definitely dumber than it used to be. Remember the Topics for Discussion that used to be in the KM? Remember when presentations had to be a certain length? Nowadays the KM presentations are cookie cutter in that they are simple Question, Scripture, Article. People I know generally skip the scripture part and just ask a question (usually the same question that's on the cover) and then just flick through the mag saying "this magazine answers that question and also has some other interesting articles."

We have heard whispers of a move away from the mags as a primary weapon and going to just tracts. The idea being that interest can be gauged with a tract and then mags can be introduced later as people show they are genuinely interested. Obviously it is easier and cheaper to spit out a zillion tracts that are all the same content than to print a zillion magazines that change content a couple of times a month.

Follow the money.

How cheap would it be for the WTS to get evryone to have have a video loaded on their electronic device and just play it to the householder? It wouldn't cost them that much apart from production costs ( which would pale in comparison to printing costs). The cost would be lumped on to the publisher to buy a compatible device and the appropriate data plan.

Pushing costs onto the already struggling plebs? Sounds like a dream plan for the tightwads at Head Office.

• Glander
    Glander

They have pretty much made facebook a DF'ing offense. There is no way the Official website is going to replace normal browsing and web interaction. I can imagine it being like, "hey, instead of browsing the web I'll read the Watchtower!"

Do I understand correctly that there is no interactive aspect? Chat, discussion, Q&A ? If so they are dreaming. Watch the hits dwindle.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I think the WTS are getting really bad advice from someone... the best thing they could do is produce masses of printed material, and keep the dubs occupied in their own literary dream world- but to encourage the dubs to use the internet is to destroy one of their key strategies- information control.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Wow! I don't think CEDARS stats are due to chance! They seem to have shot up after the first round of service meetings on Tuesday. Cool stuff!

Keep it coming, CEDARS

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I too was at the Service Meeting tonight. The 30 minute part on how to navigate through the Society’s website using expensive electronic devices such as lap top computers, ipads and smart phones made me reflect back on the countless times WT has blamed Satan for all these distractions in life. The following article is just one of many:

Subtle Forms of Materialism:

A chief lure that Satan uses is love of material things and pleasures. (1 Timothy 6:10) The Bible refers to “thedesireoftheeyes,” warning that such desire “does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world.” (1 John 2:16) In our modern world there are more things than ever for the eye to desire. There is the latest in new homes, cars, vans, boats, clothes, televisions, hi-fis, watches, computers, video games and other electronic devices of all kinds. (1/15/83 Watchtower pg 20 par 12)

I also remember a year or two ago when the smart phone first came out, there was a convention part that in no uncertain terms discouraged JWs from getting too involved in these gadgets. And now they are pretty much telling us to include these electronic inventions of ‘Satan’ in our field service book bag. Go figure!!!

• happy@last
    happy@last

I saw my MIL last night, she said I'd have enjoyed the meeting as the whole meeting was about the internet. I said 'oh really, i thought the internet was evil' She kept repeating jw.org as if they had to remember the address for fear of stumbling across anything else. I asked if she found it useful, she said she doesnt know how she'll use it, she doesn't have a PC, it took me weeks to show her how to use a cordless phone!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit