Will the 'Make Good Use of Our Official Website' discussion backfire?

by jw07 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• whathappened
    whathappened

I just googled Jehovahs Witnesses and got Danny Hazzard's website discussing 1914 and 607. Other suggested searches included this site, "Jehovahs Witness Cult" and other non flattering things. This may be the biggest blunder they have ever made. This might be bigger than 1975!

Nice to hear that Cedar's site is doing so well. Maybe JW's will finally learn the truth about their religion and how nice it is to be an ex JW.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Opps, forgot to Welcome JW07 to the board. You will be an asset to the group and we look forward to reading your posts.

• jw07
    jw07

Thanks whathappened! I've been lurking here a while, drowning in dissonance, and deeply perturbed by the tightening grip of the Corporation. I had to sign up and start posting!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome jw07!

Oppressive regimes require information control. Watchtower can only control what they put on jw.org. And jw.org is situated in the middle of an ocean of free expression with the number of truthful sites easily outnumbering jw.org. Uncontrolled eyes can easily wander into TATT. Even the diehard dubs can wander into uncharted waters. Once they've seen something, they can't unsee it.

I think WT's venture onto the Internet is being done because they see no other option. Their printing business is unsustainable and the Internet is unavoidable, so what else can they do? I agree that this move to promote their website will backfire.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

WELCOME JW 07 !

I think it will. After that part my elderly mother wants to finally buy a computer and have me set it up for her.....

All her life she has read books the Society condemed...so I am certain she will wander over to JWN................

I have been watching what happens with Google SEO when posting published NEWSPAPER Stories on JWN. The traffic from this site pumps up the newspapers readership, then the Google ranking for the article, and also pings google alerts, sometimes alerting back to the JWN post. Like an old pinball machine...ding ding ding....

Sooooo now if we all remember to ADD "JW.org", or "Watchtower Bible and Tract", or "Jehovah" to New Topic headlines...we will assist thousands of active JWs to become Heritics (I prefer to Apostate).

You never know WHICH STRAW is the one to break the camels back.

• 88JM
    88JM

On the one hand, it is going to be quite interesting watching the internet-clueless dubs fumbling their way through this 30 minute item tomorrow. On the other hand it's going to be INCREDIBLY boring for those of us who have to sit there. Just like every other service meeting...

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o641/88JM/342192-30001_zps3dcaf6f7.jpeg

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o641/88JM/342195-40001_zpsc5eedf7e.jpeg

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o641/88JM/342199-50001_zpsee08e356.jpeg

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o641/88JM/342200-60001_zps841612ab.jpeg

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I don't understand why they have all those instructions. Here's the only link they need to list:

http://download.jw.org/files/media_books/lv_ASL_22.wmv

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Welcome JW07, you have started your life at JWN with a great thread topic. I look forward to getting to know you!

With the internet and the WTS, that story of the scorpion that rides on the back of the dog to cross the river comes to mind. The scorpion ends up stinging the dog and says "I can't help it, that's what I do." The internet will dent the WTS in a big way, either by stopping people from getting involved (because they do some research) or by assisting those inside who have doubts and decide to 'just have a look'.

I think pushing the website in the ministry will backfire somewhat. If they think that 'worldly' people who have no fear of the authority of the GB won't check out the other sites that come up in a Google search, then this proves how completely out of touch with the real world they are. When I am looking for somewhere to take Mrs Smith out for dinner, I'll check out the restaurants reputation online. Google the name, and after three or so bad reviews, I'm looking for someplace else. If the GB think they can stop the general public from doing the same thing, they are idiots.

They are one lone website amongst millions and millions of others. Good luck with that strategy guys.

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

The sad thing is that when I was "in", I was so in that I never once laid eyes on an "apostate" website. I avidly refused all apostate material.

I can only hope that others are less "obedient" than I was.

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

Oh, and a warm welcome jw07! Can't wait to hear your story and what made you "wake up".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit