Your earliest doubt?

by Apognophos 92 Replies latest jw experiences

• WhatsInaName
    WhatsInaName

Been reading this forum for some time, but having read this thread caused me to finally register (BTW, as a small introductory: I'm from the Netherlands, in my thirties, wife, kids, born-in, not doing field service for about 5 years, fading).

In contrast to what some people said about expressing their doubts before the age of 10, if've never really recognised my doubts at that age as being doubts. I just really wanted to believe; if everybody else believes (mom, dad, older brother, older sister, nice people from the congregation), then it's probably just me. 'Maybe I should try a little harder'.

First real doubts appeared in the form of anger when I learned that an elder criticised my father (who was also an elder) for not kicking me out of the house because I got a JW girlfriend while not being babtised (BTW, the JW girlfriend is now my wife and eventually I did get babtised, though I did not know about this elder's ideas at that time). That was the time I started doing some research on the internet and needless to say, I had even more doubts.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Welcome WhatsinaName! Tell us more about yourself when you get the chance.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

This is a great thread.

I loved "bible stories" as a kid and often asked my Mom to tell them. Unfortunately for her, I asked her questions... lots of them... expecting her to make everything make sense. She couldn't.

One that baffled me the most was Abraham bargaining with Jah for Lot's life. Wait, Jehovah is all-knowing, right? Why didn't he know about Lot and his family in Sodom and Gomorrah? Well, he did know, right? Well then why did Abraham have to convince him? Was Jehovah just messin' with him? Any way you slice that one, it's pretty disconcerting (and that's before you even get to the crazed ugliness in the Lot story.)

Genesis 18:16-33

New International Version (NIV)

Abraham Pleads for Sodom

22 The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the Lord . [b] 23 Then Abraham approached him and said: “Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? 24 What if there are fifty righteous people in the city? Will you really sweep it away and not spare [c] the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? 25 Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?”

26 The Lord said, “If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake.”

27 Then Abraham spoke up again: “Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, though I am nothing but dust and ashes, 28 what if the number of the righteous is five less than fifty? Will you destroy the whole city for lack of five people?”

“If I find forty-five there,” he said, “I will not destroy it.”

29 Once again he spoke to him, “What if only forty are found there?”

He said, “For the sake of forty, I will not do it.”

30 Then he said, “May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak. What if only thirty can be found there?”

He answered, “I will not do it if I find thirty there.”

31 Abraham said, “Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, what if only twenty can be found there?”

He said, “For the sake of twenty, I will not destroy it.”

32 Then he said, “May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?”

He answered, “For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it.”

33 When the Lord had finished speaking with Abraham, he left, and Abraham returned home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also had several things about the creation story that bugged me endlessly, but that one can get pretty long-winded.

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

Mine started when I was a child and realised that according to the book of bible stories sodom was destroyed because of all the sodomy but having sex with your dad is cool.

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

Dude the explicitness of the book of bible stories is shocking! That book should have been banned! That pic of Jezebel was kinda hot though

• d
    d

When I was 15 in my biology class discussing evolution.Seeing all of the clear cut evidence that supported it.Whereas the bible did not have clear cut evidence.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Wow, some of you were light years ahead of me. I always believed I was not smart enough to figure out the answers to my doubts and just trusted that the Society would never lie to us and they had the inside track with God.

When they changed the baptismal vows and later dumped the 1939 date for the sealing of the anointed, that made me realize that they didn't always follow the Bible. Then I started slowly to lose my respect for the Watchtower Society.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Mine started when I was a child and realised that according to the book of bible stories sodom was destroyed because of all the sodomy but having sex with your dad is cool.

lol. that is so true, not only incest but getting your father drunk so you can climb on his erect penis.... yikes. Why on earth would that be even included in the bible.

• A.M. Number 1
    A.M. Number 1

How could the book of Job be the infallible word of God if it was written in verse? In other words, for Job to be literally true, they would have had to be speaking to one another in verse, like in a play, rhyming and whatnot. What is said to have been said in that book could not have really been said. It's a sort of impressionist work of art at best.

• bigmac
    bigmac

in my late teens i knew i didnt believe in the idea of a real god--"the great bar man in the sky"---but my family--fiancee--all my friends--were jubs--i pioneered--became a servant---so i just swam with the tide.

it was only when my wife was pregnant for the first time that i thought long and hard about the blood issue:

no way would i object to a life saving transfusion if it was necessary---just to "obey" some bible directive?????

that was the start of my journey out of the "truth"---yet i still feel sorry for those who have had to face the blood decision for real.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit