Your earliest doubt?

by Apognophos 92 Replies latest jw experiences

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Yea that Rev book study just got stupid after a while. With all the updates. The pouring out of the 7 bowls was hardly monumental.

That's for sure. My ex-father-in-law frequently said, "It's amazing how a bunch of old ladies sitting under the trees in Cedar Point fulfilled Bible prophecy." He died at age 82, faithful to the cult.

First doubt was at age 15 or 16 when I walked into the KH and an elder asked me what my ordination date was. I gave him my baptism date, and he said, "Well, somebody hasn't read their new Watchtower yet!"

Suddenly, the Society had decided that the only congregation members who were "ministers" were the elders and ministerial servants. The "Theocratic Ministry School" became the "Theocratic School," and "The Kingdom Ministry" became "Our Kingdom Service."

I remember feeling deflated and slightlfy ashamed that I had been so presumptuous as to claim to be a minister.

They reversed that a few years later with a stupid article that told us that once again we were all "ministers" and our "ministry" included things like mowing our lawn and washing our car, as the community would see that we're good people. Dude, really? Can I count my time for that?

I noticed that when they released the 1930-1985 (I may have the dates wrong) big burgundy index that I could find no references to those Watchtower articles.

• simon17
    simon17

I'm fairly certain it was everything about the story of Noah and the worldwide flood. Chronology, archaelogy, science, everything

• xchange
    xchange

I was around 9 years old and I was told not to question the WT Society. Ever!

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

When I was told " You have to HATE what Jehovah HATES"

I was Like Humm, 'This can't be good' ... I went along, which just meant thowing good stuff I liked away...

I just remember that momment very well ...... YOU HAVE TO HATE!!! really?

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Mine was about 4 years ago at 25 when I went to the elders for help. All I got instead was a slap on the hands. Wasted another 3 years in the cult but from what I've seen here on JWN, I got out young

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

So many had doubts at such a young age! I was either oblivious or stupid... or just extremely sheltered.

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

My first doubts came in about 2000 when I couldn't figure out why they designated "Pioneers" and required everyone to turn in their time. There is nothing in the bible about doing any of these things. I thought it was "Going beyond what is written."

My next doubts came when I re-read part of the Revelation Climax book and it talked about the seven bowls being poured out and all 7 of them were poured out by 1928. I realized that couldn't be true because almost everyone who was alive then who could have recognized the fulfillment was dead.

There were a few more, but those were the two that stood out to me.

• speargrass55
    speargrass55

my first doubts were on higher education. i was about 12. Talk given by a C.O. I remember fighting with my mom all the way home Every morning before the days text we did our family bible reading, so by that time we'd covered the time many times. I reasoned that if God reallycondemned higher education we would have run into it at least once in our bible reading. Then the creation story, noah, jonah etc.

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

When they said pant suits were forbidden but boob jobs weren't.

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

1975. As a kid I hung on every word regarding '75. I was terrified. It wasn't enough of a doubt to make me wake up, I just tried to see it their way. Obviously I missed something and they were right, they had to be right, I always held on to "they can't be wrong, so there is more to it I just don't understand" but it never went away. Even gearing up to go back, 1975 was one of the issues I needed cleared up before going back. Of course I woke up instead, realized there was nothing wrong with me after all. There was nothing to clear up. They false prophecied.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit