Why Isn't the USA the Safest Country in the World With All the Guns

by RubaDub 88 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

We have 9 guns for every 10 people in this country. Since more guns = better protection, I keep asking myself why there is so much gun violence here ???

I don't see such violence in Canada, Australia, Europe, Japan and other so-called "advanced" countries.

What is wrong with us here. If everyone here had 2 guns instead of 1 would that make us safer? Again, what is wrong with us here in the USA?

Rub a Dub

• jgnat
    jgnat

I remember in the West Indies that the middle class had high concrete fences with barbed wire on the top.

Guns and fences are evidences of fear, and likely a societal disparity. Reduce the disparity, reduce the fear, and the extraordinary barriers go away of their own accord.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

It's the mind of those that have the guns that is the problem. Gun control is important. But making guns illegal will not change anything. Crack is illegal and I could go get some crack 10 mins away if I wanted to.

That's why the answer is not to adopt Canada's gun laws. Or illegalize guns. The answer is to get to the root of why people are doing it. What is different in America than the countries where gun violence is less? That may be the answer.

• Simon
    Simon

But there is less crack around than if it were legally available in every Starbucks. What a poor argument.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yes, it should be much harder to own a handgun.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" The answer is to get to the root of why people are doing it. What is different in America than the countries where gun violence is less? That may be the answer."

And I don't see that ever happening.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

But there is less crack around than if it were legally available in every Starbucks.

I'd expect a better fallacy from you, Simon. Guns are not legally available in every Starbucks either. What a poor argument.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    It's the mind of those that have the guns that is the problem.

Christ Alone ...

That is exactly my question ... why are the minds of a disproportionate number of people so screwed up here in the USA compared to other countries. Don't other countries have mentally screwed up people too?

If it was just an issue of drugs, then people in the Netherlands would be shooting each other with their "open" approach to drugs.

I just don't get it ... why do we have so many with warped minds here ?

Rub a Dub

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

But there is less crack around than if it were legally available in every Starbucks

Do you really believe that? When I was in high school I could buy any drug imaginable without leaving school grounds. If I want marijuana, I know guys that deliver faster than dominos. I have never used any harder type of drug, but I know how easy they are to get and could get them buy the end of the day guaranteed if I wanted to. With no fear of arrest at all.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Are you suggesting, puff, that availability has no impact on use?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit