Why Isn't the USA the Safest Country in the World With All the Guns

by RubaDub 88 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

We're not exactly immune from gun violence here in Canada.

Oops, I take it back. Here's a violence map.

Gun Map

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Most Brits treat guns like snakes, if you see gun police (SO19) you stare at the MP5 and keep ya ass in check and waaaalk away.

• happytobefree
    happytobefree

Christalone: But that's the thing, jgnat! It is EASIER to get crack than it is to get a gun! And crack is illegal. Making guns illegal may actually backfire and make guns ALOT more easy to obtain.

REALLY?

I know where I can purchase a gun right now!!my local Walmart...less than a quarter mile away.

but do not have a clue where to buy crack...or even know anyone who I even suspect using crack.

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

puff, there has been some inroads on the war on drugs. Broken Windows had an effect, basically cutting off the source of new recruits for the drug trade.

The US prison population and homeless population would beg to differ. People who have commented that they don't know where to get drugs have obvioulsy never tried. Its insane how easy it is to get.

Sure, when I was a kid we all signed the D.A.R.E. pledge and wore tshirts, and two years later were smoking pot in the woods behind the school. The war on drugs is a complete failure, and the governement knows it. For every pound of cocaine they catch coming across the border, theres at least a hundred they don't. Watch locked up abroad and you will see how esy it is for drug kingpins to get stupid or desperate people to mule it over for them, taking no risk and putting all the risk on the poor sob that was tricked into smuggling it.

• jgnat
    jgnat

We need better laws to battle illegal drug use.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Broken Windows was a success, but it was not a nation-wide effort.

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

We need better laws to battle illegal drug use.

But they are already illegal in every possible way. Some of the possesion laws may be too life altering if anything. If President Obama had been caught the times he was smoking pot, he would likely NEVER have been able to become President. Yet he is President, and others who get caught end up in jail with court records that follow them for the rest of their life.

I'm not equiped or desirous to go on a debate about what should or should not be allowed drug-wise, but the war on drugs is pretty hardcore, yet simply does very little, if anything effective.

• trillaz
    trillaz

If I were in Washington DC, I know I could buy crack across from the Whitehouse, as George Bush so infamously told us.

But I've never tried to buy neither crack nor a gun. Still I know where I can buy guns, so it seems easier that way.

In easier then, are you meaning to say that at any time of day, if one tries, one can buy crack without any hassle?

But if buying a gun, there are differing laws that prevent such immediate satisfaction? If that is the case, I see your point.

But I would never want to take the chance that I would get caught in a deal or in possesion, so it takes some cajones.

The countries with the highest murder rate above, how does the murder rate compare with the economy?

I see a very large area in Russia and assume was not the same when it was under the USSR.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

jgnat ...

Great map !!! Thanks for the visual.

So, again, my question, why does the USA have such a higher per capita gun violence ratio than Canada, Australia, Japan and virtually every country in Western Europe ???

Do we have bad water here ?

Rub a Dub

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Why?

I'd say at least part of it is because those other countries you mention have better overall quality of life. In those other countries your gauranteed a good education, heath care, and 1.5 months of vacation.

Here in America our philosophy is endless competition, gunning for the other guys job, and paying for the worlds military security and greedy corporation for their overpriced junk and health insurance. A pretty unfullfilling way of life IMHO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit