Why Isn't the USA the Safest Country in the World With All the Guns

by RubaDub 88 Replies latest jw friends

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

Are you suggesting, puff, that availability has no impact on use?

No, I am stating that legality has little impact on availability. Look at the war on drugs. Absolute failure. Look at alcohol prohibition back in the early 20th century in the US. All it did was provide fast cars, and gangsters. Alcohol still flowed freely. Even J.F. Rutherford was still a drunk during prohibition.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

But that's the thing, jgnat! It is EASIER to get crack than it is to get a gun! And crack is illegal. Making guns illegal may actually backfire and make guns ALOT more easy to obtain.

Guns are already difficult to legally purchase. Making gun laws stricter may help a tiny fraction, and I'm all for it. But making guns more difficult to get legally is not the ultimate answer.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well, that's just a matter of bad laws. Put some good laws in place, back them up, and guns will be less available.

It is false reasoning not to try just because you don't think a good law is possible.

• jgnat
    jgnat

puff, there has been some inroads on the war on drugs. Broken Windows had an effect, basically cutting off the source of new recruits for the drug trade.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

It is false reasoning not to try just because you don't think a good law is possible.

I for one am all in favor of stricter gun control. And I think that good gun laws are possible. But this will not fully solve the problem. I could see it having almost no effect on these sorts of tragedies. I pray that I'm wrong. But to illegalize the possession of guns (like has been done with drugs) is not the answer either. Gun violence is usually acted out by those that do not have a legal fire arm.

Should a psych exam be required for everyone that possesses a gun? I would be all for that. But why are these events happening at an alarming rate?

I do want to point out one thing. I hear many non-Americans talk about some sort of cowboy culture. This, in my experience, is an exaggeration. Everyone you see in public is not carrying a fire arm. Those that are are a large minority. Most states require strict training to obtain a concealed fire arm license. Should it be more strict? Sure. But those carrying a license to carry are usually not the ones carrying out the crimes like happened today.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The question still begs ... Why aren't other "advanced" countries affected by gun violence as the USA ??? What do we do differently here than Canada, England, Netherlands, France, Japan, etc. ???

Rub a Dub

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

The question still begs ... Why aren't other "advanced" countries affected by gun violence as the USA ??? What do we do differently here than
    Canada, England, Netherlands, France, Japan, etc. ???

That's the million dollar question. I think much of it comes down to culture. What is different in US culture? What makes us so susceptible to gun violence?

These other countries have their own unique problems as well. Why? Why is Japan 7th in all time suicide rates while the US is 38th? Could it be that they (Japanese) prefer to take the violence out on themselves rather than others?

• trillaz
    trillaz

It's easier to get crack than guns? I know where to get guns, but I, John Q Public, do NOT know where to get crack.

"Maybe I should get a gun to protect myself" - There is a child in us all grown up now that wanted a bb gun.

If I don't see danger around me, why should I get a gun?

I agree with the earlier comment, fear plays a major role.

If I get a gun, and am still fearful, maybe I'll protect myself by firing off some warning shots as I enter and

exit everywhere.

• Simon
    Simon
    I'd expect a better fallacy from you, Simon. Guns are not legally available in every Starbucks either. What a poor argument.

No, the argument was that making something illegal cannot completely remove it from society, which is can't ... but your argument followed to it's logical conclusion is that it's just not worth trying because it will have zero effect. I think that is highly doubtful.

However, I agree that the fundamental issue is something with American culture. But, if people have a problem controlling a car it's generally wise not to give them the keys.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

but your argument followed to it's logical conclusion is that it's just not worth trying because it will have zero effect.

That's not my argument. Like I've said, I'm ALL for tight gun control laws. And I'm not arguing the point because I own a gun, because I do not. I just cannot see how making it illegal for a normal upstanding citizen to get a gun will curb the problem of gun violence. It may help in regards to accidental shootings. But making guns illegal will not take them out of the hands of criminals.

Look, we both want the same thing here. All of us do. We all want it impossible for criminals or those that will commit crimes to have a weapon. We all want that. So how do we work to making this happen? Take guns away from the innocent non-criminals? If a psychotic killer wants to get a gun, and it is illegal, that will not deter them. They will find a gun off the street and the crime will still be commited.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit