I can't imagine not believing in God.

by MsGrowingGirl20 643 Replies latest members private

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I different points in my life I either had no faith in God, no belief in God, belief in A God, belief that God was an ass, belief that God may be many things but the God of the bible was not one of them, belief that if a god exists that he doesn't care and we have no way of knowing him.

I am sure I missed something in there...

Anyways.

Right now I CAN imgaine not believing in God and even imagine there never haveing been one.

How does that make me feel?

Honestly, I think that my life would be far easier and with less issues and headaches if I believed that there was no God.

• cofty
    cofty

My faith/belief in the existance of God is based on evidence

That's an easy assertion to make. All it requires is for you to make up your own definition of evidence.

This faith is knowing

This is a perfect example of an oxymoron.

• tec
    tec

You must realize that your statement makes no sense. How is it possible for Cofty to have evidence leading him to the conclusion that God does not exist and for you to have other evidence that God does exist. Clearly, either one of you is wrong or you are both wrong.

Clearly one of us is wrong, yes.

I merely tried to make the point that in the same way that Cofty says he simply follows the evidece, that one whose faith is based on evidence does the same.

But yes, at least one of those two people is going to be wrong.

This does not concern me. I know what is real in my life; I know what I have experienced. Cofty simply does not have (or does not accept) the same evidence as I have been given. There is no conundrum for me. There is only a conundrum for him, if he cares at all, and since he is here I assume he must care some. But while I can accept that he does not have the same evidence - this takes nothing away from mine. Whereas he(and others like him) have to believe that the evidence that I have is wrong or fake or misinterpreted.

He has to discount my evidence; but he does not have anything for me to discount to begin with.

Please bear in mind that I'm not saying who is wrong in this case. I'm just merely pointing out the illogic of your statement. Therefore, if one of you is right you must consider that at the face of evidence that leads to the contrary, at least you tec, as the one concerned, must examine your own evidence and demonstrate all others as false. I would really like to see you exercise some critical thinking and go for that examination so that you can either vindicate of your beliefs or do some serious take-back on your views.

I totally understand what you were saying, and that it was the statement that could not be true.

I would like to ask why you think that i have not exercised critical thinking and examination of my faith, and of the position of others? I assure you that I have.

We humans are not intellectual vacuums. When we lose an ideology, our nature quickly takes over and fills the void. That's why being atheist or agnostic is not a cold and barren proposition. We fill the space of what was lost with reason and other purposes that have the same effect (not the same purpose) as when we believed. We turn our attention to other things that provide similar warm and fuzzy feelings; it may be nature; it may be love of family and friends; it may be awe of the universe; it may be the beauty in music, etc. Consider this and realize that indeed there is another way.

I agree with you. If I lost my faith (truly lost it, even if only for a spell), then i would find something else to fill the void that would be left. I meant it when I said that I can imagine the other 'side'. One thing that humans are good at is filling the void, even sometimes, to the point of ignoring the void enough that you forget that it is even there. That, I know, I could do... if left on my own to do it.

It is not fear of non-belief that keeps me from non-belief. It is knowing that Christ is alive and here, and so also His Father.

Peace to you,

tammy

• tec
    tec

That's an easy assertion to make. All it requires is for you to make up your own definition of evidence.

... or look at a dictionary.

ev·i·dence n. 1. A thing or things helpful in forming a conclusion or judgment: The broken window was evidence that a burglary had taken place. Scientists weigh the evidence for and against a hypothesis. 2. Something indicative; an outward sign: evidence of grief on a mourner's face. 3. Law The documentary or oral statements and the material objects admissible as testimony in a court of law. tr.v. ev·i·denced, ev·i·denc·ing, ev·i·denc·es 1. To indicate clearly; exemplify or prove. 2. To support by testimony; attest. There are also different types of evidence. I think you can look those up for yourself.
    This is a perfect example of an oxymoron.

Only because you do not understand what faith is, in the same way that Christ spoke of it to be.

Especially if you can say that my belief is based on faith .

Peace to you,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty
    Faith IN someone... is not the same as faith that this someone exists. - Tammy

When deciding whether or not something or somebody exists there is absolutely no need for faith.

The fact that you do require faith to believe in god shows you do not KNOW god exists.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Tammy, I can't see how any of those definitions fit your "evidence"...

• cantleave
    cantleave

de·lu·sion
    /di'lo?oZH?n/
    Noun
    1. An idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality,...
    2. The action of deluding someone or the state of being deluded: "what a capacity television has for delusion".
  • tec
    tec

Tammy, I can't see how any of those definitions fit your "evidence"...

Christ is evidence of God.

The witnesses to Christ are evidence of Christ. (those written about from the past and those who are also alive today)

Our yearning for the spiritual, for a creator(s), in every culture that we know of (even those independent of one another)... is evidence of the spiritual and/or a creator(s).

Truth that Christ spoke are evidence of the truth that is in Him (including his statements as being the Son of God, of being taught by God, and all the rest)

The above is not conclusive evidence. But that does not disqualify it from being evidence.

Hearing Christ speak - to me - in spirit... well, that is pretty conclusive evidence for me.

Being heard; prayers answered... these are sometimes circumstantial and sometimes conclusive ... for me.

To name a few things.

Peace to you,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

How can christ be evidence of god? That's like saying Mystic Meg is evidence of astrology.

I have never seen a more perfectly circular argument.

Voices in your head and a few happy coincidences are not evidence for god. Ask devout Muslims how many prayers they get answered by Allah every day.

When you say you KNOW god exists you are deliberately doing violence to the English language.

• tec
    tec

How can christ be evidence of god?

Becasue of the truth in his teachings.. both word and deed. Because of the witness that He gave to God. A man who is truth (as evidenced by his words and teachings) is not also a lie.

Witnesses are evidence. Testimony - both written and oral - is evidence. Personal experience is evidence.

I have never seen a more perfectly circular argument.

That wouldn't be because you think Christ IS God, would it be?

Voices in your head and a few happy coincidences are not evidence for god. Ask devout Muslims how many prayers they get answered by Allah every day.

I don't have voices in my head; nor do I have a few happy coincidences.

When you say you KNOW god exists you are deliberately doing violence to the English language.

No... I am not. You just cannot accept it, because it is contrary to what you believe to be true.

Peace to you,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit