NewChapter

Yes, you. It's there.

• tec
    tec

Back atcha.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Good God! Mrs J....That is so cool!

I had to copy and paste it here to share...look at the Obamas! WOW!

A talented micro-sculptor has proven you really can see the world in a grain of sand - after carving this incredible church from a single granule that fits inside the eye of a needle.

Willard Wigan, 52 made a name for himself by sculpting tiny recreations of everything from Barack Obama and his family, to Neil Armstrong on the moon's surface.

He was challenged by his girlfriend Sarah Slade, who lives at the foot of Chosen Hill in Churchdown, near Gloucester, to sculpt the hilltop parish church St Bartholomew's.

Willard Wigan carved the St Bartholomew's church in this grain of sand and then put it in the eye of a needle

And he has achieved it with a model so small it cannot be seen by the naked eye.

'I looked at the church and thought it was wonderful,' said Mr Wigan.

'Rachel said "I bet you couldn't do it" and every time I saw it I was fascinated. Finally I thought "yes, I could do it".

'It took about six weeks and it was very difficult because I had to get my proportions right.'

Last year, Wigan created this micro-sculpture of the Obamas, carved into the eye of a 24-carat gold needle

Mr Willard uses tiny shards of glass stuck to a needle, and a brush made from one of his eyelashes to create his minute masterpieces.

'If I made a mistake it would have been impossible to fix. I wanted to put in as much detail as I possibly could.

'I put in some stained glass windows. The whole sculpture us the size of a full stop in a newspaper. It's quite painstaking, in fact it was driving me insane.

'When you're working on something so small it causes a problem if you apply too much pressure.

'And I've made things so small in the past that I've sometimes inhaled it.'

Mr Willard, from Birmingham, started working on small sculptures as a boy when, unhappy at school, he retreated to a fantasy world and made homes for little ants in the garden.

His mother saw them and praised him for his work, starting a passion that would turn into a career.

He said: 'She told me that the smaller my work, the bigger my name would be.'

Mr Willard says work of this scale is his passion and hopes to arrange an exhibition in Gloucestershire in the future.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1260569/William-Wigan-Astonishing-sculpture-church-carved--single-grain-SAND.html#ixzz2FrYBw4Je
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

• still thinking
  • still thinking
  • mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Cool, ain't it? I love looking at Wigan's creations. He has a mini lecture on TED.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I mean, if there's no God.....what's the purpose of life?

I never could figure out how the existence of God could give life more purpose. Beleiving there is a Creator gives one explaination of how we got here but it doesn't give my life more purpose or meaning that it already has nor does it explain why he needed to create us and the animals or needs us to be here to worship him. Either way somehow I showed up on this planet, I'm alive and have to do whatever it takes to stay that was for as long as possible. It never made me feel more purposeful to know I was given life so that God would have someone new to worship and obey him and I had no choice in the matter. Living forever and beleiving life needing more of a purpose, were ideas that were planted in my mind since childhood, just like the idea that the end was due to arrive before I got out of school. I may never have expected those things on my own and may have simply accepted that people, trees and animals grow old and die eventually. I'd have gotten on with my life and spent it wisely instead of living with a sense of dread, putting things I wanted to do or learn off, or feeling like nothing matters because it's all going to be destroyed soon.

I'm taking a wait and see attitude about God. If he exists, he deserves all the credit and praise I can give him. I just can't go around speaking about him as if I know exactly who he is an what he wants, and that he's going to kiil those who don't beleive what I do, without being able to prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt. I need more clear directions and information from him this time, before I can do that again.

• tec
    tec

Might I suggest exwhyzee, that the kind of worship God wants is for us to care for and do good to one another?

To loosen the chains of oppression, and break every yoke.

To care for the widow and orphans.

To feed the hungry, and give shelter to the poor.

To forgive, to love, to show mercy to.

To love one another as Christ (and so God) loves us.

I am not sure that he NEEDED to create us. Other than that He was love, and love does not remain within us. Love goes OUT, to others.

Just something to consider.

Peace to you,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Cool, ain't it? I love looking at Wigan's creations. He has a mini lecture on TED...Mrs J

I watched that after I googled him. That's what I tried to link above you post...but for some reason the formatting here wouldn't do it.

What an interesting talent. Imagine if he was a surgeon. He would be able to do the most intricate surgery.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit