I can't imagine not believing in God.

by MsGrowingGirl20 643 Replies latest members private

• cofty
    cofty

jgnat - Its a good point. I also think its disingenuous for christians to use first casue as an argument for god. They now they are claiming far more than that for their deity.

Lets say we conceded for the sake of argument that the supernatural was as good an explanation for the big bang as anything else. What has followed the big bang in the past 13.7 billion years is equally consistent with a god who killed himself in the explosion.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

What has followed the big bang in the past 13.7 billion years is equally consistent with a god who killed himself in the explosion.

That would be funny, if there was a God that accidentally blew himself up in a lab experiement.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Ironically, though, I do know what you can't know.

Absolute rubbish. You are so ridiculously full of your own importance on here, it's laughable.

Loz x

• AGuest
    AGuest
    when you are pressed, you can't even accurately describe basic details. You think it, you pontificate on it, you vaguely describe it, but you never can quite seem to get the details down.

Now, what's that word our dear friends from across the Pond use? Oh, yeah: bullocks. Utter.

You have been given GREAT detail. Time and time again. A great deal of it has been preserved here perpetually. But you still don't get it and because you don't you resort to the [more "intelligent"] form of "discussing": maligning anyone who does get and/or doesn't agree with you. But that's because of YOUR shortcoming(s), not theirs. Like the guy who NEEDS to drive a Porsche. Or the guy who needs to pontificate about how many cigars (he needs others to believe) he smokes. Given the unhealthiness of such a habit, who really cares? It doesn't make the one pontificating about it any more affluent... or intelligent... than he really is (to the contrary, actually, given the potential health risks).

It certainly doesn't make him appear more intelligent (to any who ARE actually intelligent and might witness the pontifications). It only shows that he is one who knows how to... pontificate.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Absolute rubbish. You are so ridiculously full of your own importance on here, it's laughable.

Well no, I am not claiming what you know is rubbish, I am sure there is some very useful info in your brain. Just that your claim to "know" information about a silent, invisible, unmeasurable undetectable spirit creature from another dimension cannot possibly be true.

You think a lot of things about this creature, *really really* want it to be true and call that "knowing" things, but it's no more than just really really wanting what you've heard and imagined to be true. In fact, some of it MAY actually be true, but there is know way for you to know that.

It's not that complicated, you're making a big deal out of it.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

You seem to have mistaken me for somebody who cares about your opinion of me.

No, I'm under no illusions, I realise that none of you care much what anyone thinks except perhaps yourselves and the crowd you belong to.

Loz x

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

You have been given GREAT detail. Time and time again.

Providing detail in no way makes that detail accurate or something you can know. I mean, if auditory and visual hallicinations were evidence to know something, LSD would be a required drug in school.

Sorry.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Earlier on I made the point that evidence has to be reproducible. I was told by one poster that her experience is reproducible. That is the same as one scientist making the same mistake time and time again. The test of reproducibility is if all people of faith have a common experience.

This does not appear to be the case as one poster say that unless you get the name right, god doesn't work with you, yet others use a diiferent name to her.

Others won't share their experience so we can't peer review the methodology or the results.

I stand by my assumption that there is no evidence for a creator on this thread at all.

• cofty
    cofty

Loz - I am always a bit suspicious of somebody who goes from faith to atheist in one sudden leap. It is a process that usually takes a long time and a lot of thinking and agonising. What I am saying is that an exiting JW is not in a good place to make decisions about what they believe or don't believe. They may try church without making any commitments or look into all sorts of alternative ideas and philosophies. None of these things are as urgent as education, friends and career.

Any beliefs or non-beliefs are best viewed as provisional and other people's claims to "know" god should be viewed with extreme skepticism. Accept nothing without extraordinary evidence.

Attempts to proselytise somebody in this situation is akin to a dealer hanging around outside rehab

• AGuest
    AGuest
    My number one priority to anybody who has just left the Watchtower and is feeling spiritually lost is to avoid everything to do with faith for at least a year or two

More bullocks. If that were TRUE, then YOU would absolutely AVOID having any kind of such a discussion WITH such a one... for at least a year or two. You would not discuss ANYTHING having to do with faith... including having it, losing it, a lack of it, an illusion of it, what have you... with such a one. If that truly WERE your "priority."

Goodness, the dishonesty just doesn't quit for some o' ya'll. Talk about believing your own rhetoric...

But it sounded good when you said it to yourself, didn't it?

A slave of Christ,

SA, who knows that no matter how good something may SOUND (which is something religion often banks on, and apparently so do some atheists)... if it isn't TRUE... it isn't true...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit