I can't imagine not believing in God.

by MsGrowingGirl20 643 Replies latest members private

• NewChapter
    NewChapter
    Maybe that is it Shel,

It's always fun to watch Christians hypothesized about why atheists become atheists. We are here, we tell them in detail, but they are always looking for some 'unspoken' reason. It is always a little baffling, but mostly amusing.

When I was a non-atheist I did the same thing. My faith was so strong, and I was so certain that God existed, I just could not fathom that someone like me could ever be an atheist. Absolutely impossible. Perhaps they were angry, hurt or disappointed and that led them to declare there was no evidence for a god. Perhaps they don't recognize all the signs as the evidence they really are. Perhaps they see how people that claim to be Christian act, and conclude that this Christ cannot exist, because these people did dispicable things. Maybe they have seen all the damage that religion has done and concluded there was no God without looking more deeply. Afterall, they never really knew my god, and my god is real, no question about it. Or they could just be stubborn or evil and absolutely refuse to accept all that evidence at hand.

I was certainly safe. My heart was with God and Christ, and I had a constant awareness of their presence. I knew. Faith like mine could not be shaken. Others may not have the same kind of faith, but I did. Even if I got angry, even if I lost my enthusiasm, there was one fact that could never change, and that was that GOD EXISTS. Whatever troubles may come my way, God exists. I could never be an atheist. Others wouldn't be atheists if they could just work through those issues. If they could just see.

I was comforted by such thoughts. I was protected by my faith. I would always have my faith, and others could have it too, if they would just be open to it. If they would just be humble and accepting. That's their problem.

I never fully accepted that maybe they had a point. They just didn't understand. I would never be an atheist.

I'm an atheist that smiles when I see how non-atheists hypothesize about why I am an atheist. I know they can't accept the real reasons I took this path. I couldn't. I won't assign motivations for why they can't accept it, but I know why I couldn't. I was right and they were wrong, and I was so certain, so absolutely certain, I would always be protected from atheism. One cannot deny what is true! LOL

Carry on. Crack this code! Get to the real reason atheists are atheists. Don't ask or accept an atheist's answer to the question, because you are right, you know it, you feel it, and so, it just must be something else, and they will only leave the real reason unspoken anyway. If my faith had been as strong as yours, I would still believe. The JW's messed me up spiritually. LOL. I never met your particular version of Christ. I threw the baby out with the bathwater. But there is definitely a deep rooted reason that I am an atheist, and it has nothing to do with the reason I claim. No. Christ gives you the wisdom to know differently! Faith gives you license to psychoanalyze. It's fun! It used to be fun for me too. But above all, feel safe in your own unshakable faith. Nothing can rattle it! Mine was defective, so don't worry, because yours is not.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" I dunno...I can't find a scripture...so can't discuss it.... "

And you'll never find one. It's a practise debate topic that may have originated some time in the 1200's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_many_angels_can_dance_on_the_head_of_a_pin%3F

• tec
    tec

We are here, we tell them in detail, but they are always looking for some 'unspoken' reason

You do the same thing that you dispute here with regard to why people believe. Atheism, it would seem, gives one the license to psychoanalyze as well.

We are here, we tell you in detail what our faith is based upon, and why we believe as we believe, but you are always looking to impose what you believed upon us, and your reasons upon us, or some other reason. (afraid of death, no critical thinking in this area, bias, need the comfort, need to feel special, haven't grown up, etc, etc)

(not all atheists mind you, and not all christians do what you are referring to as well)

I don't personally care if a person is an atheist, or why they are such... that is their business. The only thing that matters to me if it matters at all...is what people DO. How people treat one another. I'm married to an atheist. I do not look down on him at all for being an athiest; I do not psychoanalyze his reasons for such; nor do I attribute any motivations to his atheism, other than, perhaps, that He has not heard Christ.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

I threw the invisible baby out with the non existant bathwater.... Out they went! Invisibly.

• still thinking
    still thinking

And you'll never find one. It's a practise debate topic that may have originated some time in the 1200's.

How ridiculous....you HAVE TO HAVE scripture to discuss heavenly things MrsJ...LOL

Thats why atheists need it. (but christians don't)
  • mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Maybe that why Tec didn't know the question?

• still thinking
    still thinking

Maybe the hindus have something about it in their holy books...

Does that still count?

• tec
    tec

Tec was being a brat and joking around, with regard to the angels on the head of a pin. THAT was the point of the big smiley face after her questions about the saying (that i have also heard0. Since others were joking around at the time, it seemed to be safe to do so as well.

peace,

tammy

• cantleave
    cantleave

I like this. I had to look it up, because it is so good. It looks like it is attributed to Epicurus: Died in Athens 270 BC. I don't know how I never saw this before. Thank you.

If you were one of my facebook chums you would have seen it this week posted on my time line.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I call someone I don't know a "stranger".

Perhaps, for you, even God is called such, yes? Even so, there are some I don't know that I call brother, sister, neighbor, hey you, whatsyername, whosamacallit... and a few other names. Even some that are strangers whose names I do know. Usually when I call someone, say, "Mr. So-and-So" or "Senator Such-and-So"... it's because I don't KNOW them. If I did, I would probably call them, say... Barry (vs. Mr. President), etc.

See?

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit