I can't imagine not believing in God.

by MsGrowingGirl20 643 Replies latest members private

• still thinking
    still thinking

Well...Hinduism is not good for Angels on a pin discussion:

While not specifically referred to as angels, Hinduism does have many different types of spirit beings who act in a similar capacity. One example is the minor gods, or devas , literally "shining ones," who inhabit the higher astral plane. Gods, devas, planets like Sani (Saturn), gurus (teachers), and ancestors can all play a protective role for humans. Also present in Hinduism are asuras , evil spirits or demons. They are fallen devas who inhabit the lower astral plane, the mental plane of existence. If asuras do good, they can be reincarnated into devas and do not have to remain eternally in the lower plane. Hinduism also includes apsaras , who are heavenly nymphs, angiris , who preside over sacrifices, and lipika , who regulate karma.

Form:
    Devas and apsaras are spiritual beings, but they are often depicted in physical form. Apsaras are seductively beautiful and the devas often look like royalty, stately and handsome.

Intervention:
    Devas and asuras can inspire or bring down aspirants, helping or hindering people's spiritual journey.

Maybe science can help...LOL

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

You do the same thing that you dispute here with regard to why people believe. Atheism, it would seem, gives one the license to psychoanalyze as well.

LOL--I can usually count on you for the "I know you are but what am I" defense.

As former believers, all we can really do is reflect on what motivated us when we were believers. We can voice emotions and thinking we had when our faith was unshakable and I we, too, knew we were right about this. Which is actually what I did in my post---so your counter-accusation was just a strawman and not directly addressing my post.

What motivated me when I was a believer? Well I never seriously considered the alternative. When I was born as an atheist and had no concept of a god seriously taught to me, I had not really considered any alternatives as I didn't really understand what they were. When I learned that the majority of people believed in gods, it became a truth to me, because everyone seemed to agree. After that, I didn't consider that anything else could be true. Biases were presented to me, and then they were very easy for me to confirm, because I had a lot of support and acceptance when I did so. I did NOT use critical thinking during those years, no matter how much I would have argued that I did, even though I thought I did.

Critical thinking is impossible unless one is willing to seriously set aside the confirmation bias and take a cold, hard, emotionless look at the alternative idea. I didn't necessarily believe out of comfort, because the belief was often not comforting to me. I didn't believe what I wanted, because many times I kind of wished it just wasn't true. But since I came from the position that it really was true, I could only try to make myself as comfortable as possible and work with what I had.

And there was a very healthy dose of fear mixed in. If I was to look at this critically, I was going to have to take responsibility for what I found, and that was scary. So much easier to just fall in line and accept.

It is interesting, though, the different reactions. I always see Christians discussing what really makes us atheists, and I'm bemused. Discuss why a non-atheist believes, and many of them seem much more irritated at that. Seems to hit sensitive spots, but perhaps that is just perception.

• tec
    tec

LOL--I can usually count on you for the "I know you are but what am I" defense.

That is not what this is. It is a double standard to point out someone else's fault, when you yourself do what you accuse others of doing.

Not a strawman either. You have often pointed out what you used to do as a believer, to discount what someone says about themselves. Otherwise I would not hear the tired 'you believe out of fear, or comfort, or for a reward, or because you choose to, etc, etc...'

You CAN speak to what you used to feel. No more than that.

It is all that I have ever said to you, NC.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

So you were responding to past posts I made? You didn't respond to this post. Perhaps if you'd like to respond to my past posts, you can show them, so I know what I'm working with. Otherwise, I'd like to talk about what we can all access.

• wtfever
    wtfever

well I feel the reason that atheist feel the right to psycoanalyze is that is how they arrived at atheism....christians on the otherhand arrived at their beliefs on faith and the lack of any analizing of any facts at all!

• tec
    tec

Lol... see?

Happens as much from some atheists as it does from some theists.

Also, welcome to the forum wtfever :)

Peace to you both,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

You still don't respond to my post, but that's okay. I've seen some things here today that were appalling, and know from experience that you fully support it. So I'm finished with this conversation. Enough is enough, and the personal and very focused attacks are out of hand. You have never shown much courage in just confronting them when they happen in public, and even have defended them in private and public. I'm sure others will engage you.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" Maybe science can help...LOL "

Or an artist. Look up Mr Willard Wigan.

• tec
    tec

You still don't respond to my post, but that's okay.

I responded to your post. On this thread. If you have a problem with me referring to a different post, one not on this thread, then perhaps you should not also respond to me with things from other times, other threads, other people for that matter... such as what you did below:

I've seen some things here today that were appalling, and know from experience that you fully support it. So I'm finished with this conversation. Enough is enough, and the personal and very focused attacks are out of hand. You have never shown much courage in just

confronting them when they happen in public, and even have defended them in private and public. I'm sure others will engage you.

Or, quite simply, I do not agree with you. You can make allowance for "baggage from previous hurts" from one you consider your own... but you not for those you personally disagree with.

So I guess it depends on what you consider to be courageous. Giving in and doing what some of you think I should, even when I think it would be wrong, is not courageous, imo. Speaking the way you want me to about faith, even though it would not be honest, would not be courageous either, imo.

That I do the same thing in private as in public might indicate that it is not cowardice, NC, but rather what I think is right.

In any case, you are entitled to your opinion. As am I.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I'm going to send you a pm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit