Should pranksters be held responsible for results of their pranks?

by Satanus 93 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

I can only repeat what I said on the first page. It was a tragic accident. If anyone is culpable it is the radio station bosses for ignoring their responsibility to rein in their controversial DJs, instead focusing on their obsession with winning the ratings war. Nobody was to know that the outcome would be this horrific. It's one of those fluke things that happens sometimes that nobody can reasonably foresee. Analyzing it to infinity isn't going to do anyone any good. It's best to move on and let the family grieve, and take whatever action they feel necessary against the radio station. The DJs themselves will also need help and support, as I understand they are devastated.

Cedars

• Satanus
    Satanus

The djs are likely talking heads, mouths for hire that need a baseball bat up side the head. Eh, just kidding. A swift kick to the groins would suffice.

S

• falseprophet
    falseprophet

It was known at the time of the call that if a nurse or other member of staff actually gave out details, they would be highly likely to lose that nursing job.

No practical joke should result in someone potentially losing their employment. That isn't a 'joke', it is bullying.

That was irresponsible and for that alone, the DJs deserve to be sacked.

• pajaha
    pajaha

I agree with Rip Van Winkle - there have been plenty of worse pranks played on TV and radio, plenty far more likely to cause someone to commit suicide or suffer a heart attack. But I don't see many people complaining about these - like the ghost in the elevator prank. The difference is that some people love to be wise after the event.

What I think is descpicable is that news outlets like the Daily Mail have led a witch hunt on the DJs, who will be traumatised enough already. How come it's so bad to play a prank on someone who might react very badly to it, yet it's okay to inspire hatred in the DJs who might even be suicidal themselves because of this, without all the death threats and criticism? What if one of them commits suicide? I guess some people would be very happy.

I also think the hospital have done a very good job of deflecting blame from themselves on to the DJs. The management should surely take a large amount of blame - do they have a protocol for family members phoning up, particularly when it came to the royal family? If so, why wasn't it communicated to all staff who might have answered the phone? There has surely been a massive error on the part of the managment. If they hadn't made such a basic error, pranksters wouldn't have stood a chance of getting through and the suicide wouldn't have happened.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

well said, pahaja.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I read the transcript..

It was innocent enough,other than a good joke..

Killing yourself over a Joke,is rediculous..

Go after the people who hired a nurse with phsyciatic problems..and..

Put her in charge of Dealing with the Royal Family..

......................  10_1_138.gif .. .OUTLAW

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The pranksters are culpable. The nurse who gave out the info, if it's like it is here in the USA, is not allowed to give out personal information on a patient unless the patient has given express permission. The nurse was culpable. But the hospital is right to be critical of this radio station and the D.J.'s. As for the nurse, she is East Indian, right? How much has her own culture to do with her decision to take her life? I am only asking because I know some cultures have a form of suicide that is meant to preserve the honor of the person who has committed suicide and the relatives.

Did the nurse commit suicide because of pressures, from co-workers and family members and friends, to feel a great deal of shame?

I have some compassion for the D.J.'s, but then again I am also hard on them because this wasn't just a silly prank. It was the invasion of privacy of a (high profile) person. It also put the hospital workers at risk as well. I can't believe that no one piped up and told the D.J.'s that it is against hospital policy, here in the USA is called HIPPA, for a worker, even the doctors, to give out info on the patient even if the person asking is a family member. And as they say: ignorance of the law does not excuse a person who breaks the law.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

The nurse shouldn't have given out the information in the first place. While this isn't something worth killing yourself over she made a serious mistake.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

"A former presenter at 2Day FM, Wendy Harmer, says the presenters should have gained consent from the nurses involved to broadcast the recordings, or revealed during the call that it was a hoax."

It is illegal to record a private conversation without consent in Australia. They have broken the law.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Then there are ethics involved. Where are the personal ethics of these D.J.s? It's one thing to call someone and pose as the queen when they are selling pizzas and then finally tell the person you are a radio station, but this is far more serious than that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit