Should pranksters be held responsible for results of their pranks?

by Satanus 93 Replies latest jw friends

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Yeah this is big news here in Oz. I just can't understand why there isn't a protocol that puts hospitals, police stations and fire stations off-limits to prank calls...

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I caught a news item where the hospital said she was a highly valued but very sensitive nurse. She had young children too. She had described herself elsewhere as a "very nervous person".

It's no good saying she shouldn't have done it. The call should not have been made. That's not journalism. That's intrusion, unnecessary invasion of privacy.

• minimus
    minimus

Can you imagine if that highly sensitive nurse was on this site?? Think about it. She had a problem. Anybody can get razzed or teased.

• Satanus
    Satanus

There's a difference between seeing something on tv or whatever, and having someone call you on your phone, at home or at work and do a number on you. If they are doing bs or a scam or whatever, through your phone, they are invading your space. You did not invite them in, which you are doing, in a way, when you turn on the tv.

S

• talesin
    talesin

It's sad if she killed herself over a bunch of in-bred, lazy, glory-seekers who contribute little to society, and prance around as if they are special because of an accident of birth. lol Royalty, what IS that? ahahahahaha!

Seriously, though. Maybe they had her done away with; they don't like 'inconvenient women' in the Royal Family of GB (can you say 'Diana Spencer'?). Unless, of course, the woman's name is "Wallace Simpson" and she is a Nazi sympathizer.

tal

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

What about the pranks that scare people- like the elevator prank? What if someone has a heart attack from the scare? Should those type of pranksters be culpable if their prank leads to someone's death?

• cofty
    cofty

talesin what has your hatred for the Windsors got to do with this thread?

The nurse appears to have killed herself because she could not cope with becoming the focus of international public humiliation.

She fell for a stupid, sophomoric prank and was the butt of a joke that earned her notoriety she found overwhelming.

Everybody involved in the prank from the radio station must resign. Its OK to say you didn't mean any harm but there was unintended consequences and they need to accept responsibility.

Hospitals ought to be off-limits. The hospital had already said the nurse would not face discipline for her mistake but that their procedures were being reviewed.

So very sad for the nurse and her family.

• minimus
    minimus

The point would be that because of the potential, pranks should never exist. That's silly. It wasn't malicious and designed to cause a death. No intent to harm he caller.

Like I said before, you have to be somewhat thick skinned if you want to function in society. You have to see humor as it is in different ways. Perhaps, an overly sensitive person shouldn't be in any potential high profile position, lest they have a breakdown or worse.

• talesin
    talesin

Hey, cofty. I don't hate the Windsors, but I do hate the whole idea of classism. My lack of fondness for the family extends to their Nazi sympathies, and their holier-than-thou treatment of Diana Spencer. That is all well-documented.

I do agree with your comments. Still, let's remember these are people with great power, and who knows? She may have not just been remorseful and embarrassed (hardly a reason to kill oneself over); she may have been afraid of repercussions. We are not privy to her experience - perhaps she received a call from the Brit equivalent of Secret Service, and was completely terrified ... who knows?

tal

• cofty
    cofty

I take your point minimus but they didn't think it through.

They fully intended to broadcast their prank if it succeeded. They should have known that a prank involving royalty would go viral. They should have known that divulging patient information could lose the nurse her job. They chose to broadcast it. They didn't give a shit about her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit