Should pranksters be held responsible for results of their pranks?

by Satanus 93 Replies latest jw friends

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Yup...

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

I agree with a lot of what Pajaha and others urging moderation said, but I have a different view. To say it's OK to undertake such 'pranks' means it is hard to penalise those who do the same thing for criminal motivaitons - how do you administer a law where 'oh, it was a prank' is a defence to stealing information for your own benefit (in this case noteriety and publicity)? If that's the case, let's all do it and make funny You Tubes of random people's medical histories etc. And use the info for identity theft at the same time.

...plenty of worse pranks played on TV and radio, plenty far more likely to cause

someone to commit suicide or suffer a heart attack.

Maybe this is what it took for a review of those practices. Any activity with such dire consequences can't be good.

...the hospital have done a very good job of deflecting blame from themselves on to the DJs.

Quite right. The DJs, their management, the surviving nurse and hospital management should be accountable for their actions in accord with the law.

The DJs are not responsibile for the death of the nurse. But that are responsible for their own actions. The radio and hospital managements are also responsible for their actions and omissions - such as nurses apparently not knowing who they may talk to about Her Royal Highnesses health and the conditions under which they may do so. Her Majesty does not make calls like that, I would expect, but somehow two nurses thought they were speaking the the Queen. Maybe they wanted to believe they did speak to the Queen; it'd be a highlight for their career if it happened. To have that excitement crushed publicly without them knowing, so far as we know, in advance of the broardcast was cruel.

If the law in New South Wales is as has been reported, then their acts are worthy of being considered by a criminal court in accord with the laws governing trials which include considering the health of the accused.

All involved, at the radio station and the hospital, might be hoping for a healthy baby to be born with no further complications for their own sakes.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

The stations's CEO came out today to say that they tried 5 times to talk to the nurses involved and get their permission to air the conversation, but they had no response.

For those in Australia, the 2 DJs are being interviewed on Today Tonight and A Current Affair tonight.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

EVeryone makes fun of the royal family. I"ve heard countless imitations. The queen herself participated in the James Bond skit for the Olympics. You watch something like that and think it's probably okay to make fun.

How on earth do you know in advance which imitation is harmless fun and which might have terrible consequences? Personally I thought the Brazil elevator prank was horrific. It could easily have caused a heart attack. This was a radio station joke, no different than hundreds that they do every single day, radio personalities pretending they are someone else.

The Duchess is a public personality. Goes with the territory. Get used to it.

The nurse who chose to kill herself...that's a whole different thing. No blame can be laid on anyone else. WE don't know what was going on. I suspect she was likely facing job loss, since that's what happens for breach of the health act and confidentiality in my country. Regardless of what the hospital said. If, in fact it was the nurse at the nursing station - she answered a call that had already been cleared by the switchboard. No wonder she was caught off guard and thought it was okay.

The hospital bears the majority of the responsibility, not the staff. My heart goes out to that poor nurse who clearly thought her life was over. And maybe it was. Conspiracy theories aside, bottom line is that the big guys always try to scapegoat the little guy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit