Why do people proudly say they belong to Jesus ?

by mP 91 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• still thinking
    still thinking

Not me I hate other atheists - they are all souless, amoral and just not as cool as me.

HEE HEE....it's true... And those atheists are just awful people, they are liars, and not humble at ALL...

Not like the humble, loving Jesus believers...they are so nice....and did I mention...humble?

• tec
    tec

Cofty, not sure if you were talking to me or not.

I do call God, Father.

I do serve Christ and God... which means following their teachings, witnessing, speaking if something is shared with me, helping others, helping to build the body of Christ UP. (well, I serve as best as I can, though often I fail... mostly Christ shows/teaches me how to love, forgive, follow, show mercy, etc)

Now, whatever I choose to call myself... it is CHRIST who states whether one is a brother, and no longer a servant. People can serve their brothers and sisters, people can serve their spouses as well.

Everyone is a slave to what has mastered him. Be that money, then a slave to money. Be that anger, then a slave to anger. Be that gambling, then a slave to gambling. Be that sin, then a slave to sin. Etc, etc. None of those other things bring life or do good. That is the metaphor that Paul used.

So one can say a servant and brother of Christ... if one has been so told. But even if one says a servant (or slave, if one chooses) of Christ... that does not mean that Christ has not said they are a brother, and also sons of God.

Satanus

I was attempting to show that the stigma attached to servant is based upon our understanding of who is supposed to serve. Someone 'low'. This is not the case. Serving one another is a GOOD thing. Serving Christ and God... means also to serve one another... as this is what they ask.

Peace to you both,

tammy

• tec
    tec

I do always order too much Chinese food, and I do have a hard time finding shoes to fit just right.

I guess that proves the studies on agnostics doing better :P

(unless an atheist has something to say to that)

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

it is CHRIST who states whether one is a brother, and no longer a servant. - Tammy

No the NT says every christian is adopted as a child of god - "abba father".

This is the ABCs of the gospel message that the early church preached.

Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God. - John 1:12,13

Maybe you know better than them.

• Satanus
    Satanus

'Someone 'low'. This is not the case. Serving one another is a GOOD thing.'

Yes, and in line w the title of the thread, proud of your slavery.

S

• tec
    tec

Christ decides who belongs to Him (who is a Christian), Cofty... who He KNOWS... those with his spirit are Christian. Because they have received Him.

Like He said, Himself... I no longer call you servants... but brothers. They did not make that call. He did.

Yes, and in line w the title of the thread, proud of your slavery.

I've never used the word 'slave', other than understanding it as Paul explained it. The word does not carry the same connotation as many apply to it. Someone who belongs to Christ is FREE... slave implies a lack of freedom, but this is not the case.

Proud... no. Grateful to be able to serve even in the tiniest way... yes.

Peace,

tammy

• Satanus
    Satanus

Geeze, it's like a looping tape.

S

• tec
    tec

Then stop trying to get me to answer an affirmative to something that I do not agree with, lol. Asking a question in different ways does not get different answers, unless someone did not truly understand the question.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Gees Satanus....you are asking the questions all wrong. You make a statement, then answer your own question in the affirmative, before it is asked.

They need to be asked like this....YES?

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

"Romans 8:17

17And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together."

How do we qualify to share as "joint-heir-status", the adopted child will eventually become the physical child through Christ's leadership and guidance in the Christian's life.

Barne's Commentary "And if children - If adopted into his family.

Then heirs - That is, he will treat us as sons. An heir is one who succeeds to an estate. The meaning here is, that if we sustain the relation of sons to God, that we shall be treated as such, and admitted to share his favors. An adopted son comes in for a part of the inheritance, Numbers 27"... (How do we sustain a relationship with God, by following our lord and Master Jesus Christ.)

"Heirs of God - This expression means that we shall be partakers of that inheritance which God confers on his people. That inheritance is his favor here, and eternal life hereafter. This is an honor infinitely higher than to be heir to the most princely earthly inheritance; or than to be the adopted son of the most magnificent earthly monarch.

And joint heirs with Christ - Christ is by eminence the "Son of God." As such, he is heir to the full honors and glory of heaven. Christians are united to him; they are his friends; and they are thus represented as destined to partake with him of his glory. They are the sons of God in a different sense from what he is; he by his nature and high relation, they by adoption; but still the idea of sonship exists in both; and hence, both will partake in the glories of the eternal inheritance; compare Philippians 2:8-9; Hebrews 2:9-10. The connection between Christ and Christians is often referred to in the New Testament. The fact that they are united here is often alleged as a reason why they will be in glory, John 14:19, "Because I live, ye shall live also," 2 Timothy 2:11-12; "For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him; if we suffer, we shall also reign with him, Revelation 3:21; "To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne," etc., John 17:22-24."

http://barnes.biblecommenter.com/romans/8.htm

Tammy, did you catch in Romans how a Christian is able to acheive the status of "joint-heir", a position the adopted child typically did not share in ancient Jewish customs. Abraham's son to receive everything was Isaac. Those following our Master Jesus Christ, we will become something more elevated, receiving a greater share of Christ's riches as long as we demonstrate the "Spirit" is alive in our lives and if we do "suffer like Christ did", Christians have suffered many types of exquisite deaths in history for their obedience to Christ.

I don't know if "crofty" get the point that "Christians" after following lord Jesus Christ will eventually receive their inheritance of a "new body", Paul writes about. I am curious what his adoption remarks has to do with becoming a "true heir" "new body", "Sharing Christ's riches" by following, obeying and demonstrating Christ is our Master?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit