Why do people proudly say they belong to Jesus ?

by mP 91 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mP
    mP

ARB:

Luke "the physcian" must have interviewed the Apostle Paul and others who were at the "Blasphemy Charge" Paul had to endure as he recounts how Jesus Christ came to him and changed his life to work good to the Christian community.

mP:

I dont know for sure, but i just did a quick search for Luke and Physician and could not find any scripture that states this. It would appear this is tradition and we all know how honest tradition is. For example we have the story of Mohammad flying on a donkey to Jersualem and then going to heaven...WHich one is true and which is false ?

If you know of a scripture where Luke is said to be a physican please provide it and quote inline for us to read.

The best i could find shows its pure tradition from over a hundred years later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_the_Evangelist

His earliest notice is in Paul's Epistle to Philemon, verse 24. He is also mentioned in Colossians 4:14 and 2 Timothy 4:11, two works commonly ascribed to Paul. The next earliest account of Luke is in the Anti-Marcionite Prologue to the Gospel of Luke, a document once thought to date to the 2nd century, but which has more recently been dated to the later 4th century. Helmut Koester, however, claims that the following part – the only part preserved in the original Greek – may have been composed in the late 2nd century:

Luke, a native of Antioch, by profession a physician. [8] He had become a disciple of the apostle Paul and later followed Paul until his [Paul's] martyrdom. Having served the Lord continuously, unmarried and without children, filled with the Holy Spirit he died at the age of 84 years. (p. 335)

Epiphanius states that Luke was one of the Seventy (Panarion 51.11), and John Chrysostom indicates at one point that the "brother" Paul mentions in 2 Corinthians 8:18 is either Luke or Barnabas.

Ephiphanius is of course making it up, if its luke or Barnabas, pretty pathetic.

• mP
    mP

ARB:

Take each one of these scriptures so nicely written by this Christian author who addresses the untruth that Paul and Jesus were not aquianted, or does Paul's writings contain Jesus concepts from his Gospels. Just be honest and don't disagree for the sake of disagreements.

http://defendingcontending.com/2010/08/30/paul-never-quoted-jesus-1st-2nd-timothy-titus/

mP:

Its nice the author presents the scirpture and the text inline for easy reading. However anyone can see that Paul knows nothing as i said before of Jesus life on earth. The best he can say is jesus died for us, does not say where, when because of Judas, Pilate nothing. The dying and saviour God was a popular theme in ancient religions. Its a personification of the seasonal changes we all expereicne each and every year. Its of course not a surprise that Jesus dies exactly on the first day of Spring, the day the sun overcomes the death of winter. The early xians knew this thats why they adopted xmas as the birth of the jesus the sun god.

1st Timothy 2:5-6–For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all.

• Matthew 20:28–“The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”

mP:

Paul doesnt say anything about jesus life on earth. Does this honestly sound like a man who really knows about the Jesus we can read of in the gospels ? How could Paul write so many books and not mention Galilee, nazareth, Pilate, Judas Iscariot, John the Bapitist, Bethlehem or any of those familiar charaacters, places and names once. Not a single mention of any!

Acts 26:14-18–“Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads…I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting.

mP:

This passage is not of an earthly Jesus but a spirit. I cant see how this in any way demonstrates an earthly man who walked, talked and preached.

1st Timothy 6:6-10–Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

• Matthew 6:24-25–“No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?”

mP:

These sorts of religious thoughts and teachings are not new. YOu will find them in many much older texts from India, to Greece. They are not unique and they do not demonstrate any knowledge of a man who lived at any time. I would suggest you try reading some texts from Buddha etc.

2nd Timothy 2:19–Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.”

• John 10:14–“I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own.”

These are religous teachings they are not any proof of knowledge of a man.

2nd Timothy 2:19 – Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “ The Lord knows those who are His ,” and, “ Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity .”

mP:

I know the name of the God Baal, that is hardly historical proof of a real man. Here we have Paul failing the simplest of tests, he fails to repeat anythinf grom the gospels that would demonstrate real knowledge of Jesus.

2nd Timothy 3:12– Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution .

• John 16:33– “In this world you will have tribulation.”

MP:

Really suffering is hardly a new concept, or unique. This is a very poor example.

Again where is a single Pauline scripture that includes a mention of an event, place or person from any of the four gospels ?

I am very intersted in any you can find.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit