JW tour bus crashes in Florida, with fatalities-

by moshe 87 Replies latest social current

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    Anyone else know Miami? How the hell is it even possible to wind up INSIDE MIA when you are going to WPB? This is a screw up of epic proportions.

Yes, MinisterAmos .....

If you are coming from the South Side of Miami going to Pam Beach you are taking one of three possible routes:

1). I-95 ... about 6 miles from the Airport Entrance

2). Palmetto Expressway ... about 4 miles from the Airport Entrance

3). Florida Turnpike ... about 8 miles from the Airport Entrance

It's difficult enough to get into Miami Airport if you WANT to get in.

How you can end up INSIDE the airport from any of those 3 highways on an early Saturday morning when there is minimal traffic if any is beyond me.

Rub a Dub

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee
    Anyone else know Miami? How the hell is it even possible to wind up INSIDE MIA when you are going to WPB? This is a screw up of epic proportions.

There has been a lot of construction and many crazy detours at and around that airport lately. I had qyute a time navigating a rental car through there recently and I can absolutely see how someone could end up in the wrong place, especially a bus that can't change lanes quick enough to avoid taking the wrong exit. My Brother lives in West Palm Beach and I believe there is an assembly hall near there. I'm sure I'll hear the sad details from him.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    I had qyute a time navigating a rental car through there recently and I can absolutely see how someone could end up in the wrong place,

exwhyzee

I totally agree if you have a rental car and/or are going to the Airport that the construction is a mess. My point was, they were NOT going to the airport, rather to West Palm Beach for the assembly.

Based on the fact it was a "Sweetwater" area congregation (southwest of the airport near) I see no reason why they were anywhere near the entrance to the Airport. Sweetwater is right next to the Turnpike.

Rub a Dub

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee
    Based on the fact it was a "Sweetwater" area congregation (southwest of the airport near) I see no reason why they were anywhere near the entrance to the Airport. Sweetwater is right next to the Turnpike

The only thing I can think of, (and I base this on my own recent experience) , is that the driver encountered one of the many detours and wasn't able to find an easy enough place for a bus to exit the freeway to turn around once he went wrong. One detour led to another and he wound up only being able to take a route through the airport. I say this because this is exactly what happened to me. I was in a car so I didn't have a problem with an overpass but had I been in a bus it would have been much different. Either way you'd have thought a bus driver from the area would have planned his route better or known that he was too tall to pass under the concrete abutment. It must have been quite a wollop !

The other possibility was they were picking up someone from out of town who was flying in for the assembly. ??

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Hey Steve and James. Thanks guys. I do kind of think my original post came across a little heavy handed considering only a few were off the reservation, and I apologize for that.

Thanks and catch you guys on the flip side.

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

This is so sad. My heart goes out to the families who lost their loved ones and to those who suffered injury. When I was an active JW I always was excited and joyful while travelling to the assembly. I'm sure these JWs were the same. Joyful and eager to get to the assembly and then their joy is ripped away by unforeseen occurrence, injury and death. It is very sad. Leslie

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

JW.ORG | Headlines issues this statement:

Fatal Bus Crash in Miami

DECEMBER 3, 2012 | UNITED STATES

On Saturday, December 1, 2012, a group of 32 of Jehovah’s Witnesses was traveling on a chartered bus to West Palm Beach, Florida for a two-day Bible education seminar when the bus crashed into an overpass at Miami International Airport at 7:25 a.m. Two Witnesses were killed and four others are in critical condition. Police reports indicate that the driver of the bus, who is not one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, “mistakenly entered the airport” while heading to West Palm Beach. J. R. Brown, spokesman for Jehovah’s Witnesses, states: “We now draw on our spiritual family for Bible-based comfort.”

Media Contact: J. R. Brown, Office of Public Information, tel. +1 718 560 5000

Just wondering: When that truck (lorry) crashed in Nigeria a couple of weeks ago, did they also publish a newsline?

• bats in the belfry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit