JW tour bus crashes in Florida, with fatalities-

by moshe 87 Replies latest social current

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I would not be surprised to see the Airport Authority (Miami-Dade County) install those hanging down things like they do in the tunnel entrances in New York City.

I'm not sure what they are called, but about 50 feet before you enter the tunnel you drive under the things and if they bang the crap out of the top of your vehicle you know you can't make it through the tunnel entrance.

You know what I am talking about I hope.

Rub a Dub

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

Jehovah'sWitness Crash Means Lawsuits Comments Steinger, Iscoe & Greene A bus carrying a church group struck an overpass, killing two people. Lawyer Michael Steinger says the victims and families have grounds to sue. According to Miami-Dade police the driver was not familiar with the area and may have been lost. YAHOO! · 1 hour ago

• james_woods
    james_woods

Looking at the second set of pictures, it does appear that the damage to the bus was much worse than the first pictures I saw had revealed.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

This thread is a mess. Honestly some of these posts go beyond poor taste, and are just plain seflish and rude.

As someone very new to this site, I am pretty disappointed, and think many of the comments here not only will keep lurkers from wanting to be a part of this community, but it is nice to know that some of you do not hold yourselves to the same standards you demand of the religion you were once a part of.

I mean seriously.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I only saw one or two comments in truly bad taste, problemaddict.

Most of us feel very bad about this tragedy and are simply speculating on how and why it could have happened, and what the outcome will be.

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

A commuter bus service popular among UF students is responsible for a fatal bus crash in Miami that killed two elderly Jehovah’s Witnesses and injured several others.

A Miami Bus Service bus driver took a wrong turn into Miami International Airport while traveling to a religious conference, crashing the bus into a too-low overpass, according to The Miami Herald. The bus driver is thought to have ignored or been unaware of signs that would have warned him the 11-foot-high bus was too tall to go under the 8-foot-6-inch overpass.

Miami Bus Service is among the commuter buses used by UF students to travel on weekends to cities such as Miami, Orlando and West Palm Beach. No UF students were on the bus when it crashed.

Calls to Miami Bus Service were not returned.

Bus service co-owner Mayling Hernandez told The Miami Herald that safety is her company’s primary concern.

“At this time, I’m worried about the driver and the families of the victims. I’m praying for them,” she told The Miami Herald. “My job is to worry about the safety of the passengers who are our clients. What we do requires a lot of responsibility. I didn’t know the passengers, but that doesn’t mean I’m not suffering.”

Contact Meredith Rutland at [email protected].

• steve2
    steve2

Problemaddict, you've sure expressed widely sweeping condemnation of others' views in your passionate post. James Woods response to yours is a sobering one: Very little that has been expressed in this thread in context is as bad as you make it seem.

I'm not sure whether you took the time to actually read all the posts in this thread...or whether you have quickly cherry-picked a few comments stripped of their context to support your judgmentalism.

By far most contributors are expressing personal views - none that I have read has been in poor taste.

If you want uniformity of views - especially views that concur with your own - you are probably on the wrong website. Sure, in a website such as this the likelihood of exposure to views that you disagree with is pretty high. You are under no obligation to agree with all views expressed herein, and what offends one reader does not offend another.

That said, it would be helpful if you could give specific instances of posts that in your view "go beyond poor taste and are just plain selfish and rude". At least then your commetns would have the virtue of being less widely condemnatory and more importantly show the comments that actually offended you so much.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

First I have seen of this. My heart goes out to those people. We know that they are J W's but they are also decent law abiding folk who have suffered a tragedy . I am very sorry for all involved

I do not think that the congregation can be blamed for the driver's mistake. I have organised Assembly Coaches many times. You book the coach, collect the money from your people and when the coach arrives you all get on and leave the journey to the driver - that is how it is. We have been lost in London before now, it was up to the driver to get us there...

BTW there is no belief that journeys to and from conventions will be protected. Experience has shown that it just does not happen that way

(P S Just checked J W Talk and over there the thread only has managed 3 responses in 2 days .......What does that tell you?)

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

When I was a kid, it was drummed into us that being a JW did not bring special protection.

If it really did, people would be flocking to the KH to get their slice of it. I remember being told about the charter plane flying JWs to an international a$$embly that exploded in mid air. The two pioneer brothers who were killed in a car, leaving an old widow with no family.

This is another very sad meaningless accident and I feel for those who have lost family, and whatever confidence in a loving god.

Blues: 3 comments on JWtalk? There are actually three JWs who care enough to comment? And I thought that Jehovah's Witnesses are callous....

HB

• Simon
    Simon
    This thread is a mess. Honestly some of these posts go beyond poor taste, and are just plain seflish and rude.
    As someone very new to this site, I am pretty disappointed, and think many of the comments here not only will keep lurkers from wanting to be a part of this community, but it is nice to know that some of you do not hold yourselves to the same standards you demand of the religion you were once a part of.
    I mean seriously.

I completely agree. I've removed some of the comments which really just show how low and pathetic some people can become. Well done, great job - you're everything the WTS said you'd be. I hope you're happy.

For the rest of us, please ignore the few sickos who can't see beyond their own hate.

It is a tragedy that the people involved did not deserve, whatever their current religious affiliation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit