JW tour bus crashes in Florida, with fatalities-

by moshe 87 Replies latest social current

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Excerpt from Associated Press article in the Miami Herald:

The large, white bus was too tall for the 8-foot-6-inch entrance to the arrivals area, said airport spokesman Greg Chin. Buses are supposed to go through the departures area, which has a higher ceiling, he said.

Chin said passengers told him they were part of a group of Jehovah's Witnesses headed to West Palm Beach. Police said in a news release that the group had chartered the bus to take them to a church convention there.

The group was made up of congregation members of Sweetwater's Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, said Sweetwater Mayor Manny Maroño.

"This is a tragic accident that has affected many families, as well as, our Sweetwater family," Maroño said in a press release. "I am pursuing all avenues to get in touch with the appropriate persons to officially extend our help to the congregation and those who were hurt."

A phone number listed for the center in Sweetwater went unanswered.

At the airport, two large signs warn drivers of large vehicles not to pass beneath the concrete overpass. One attached to the top of the concrete barrier reads: "High Vehicle STOP Turn Left." The other, placed to the left of the driveway and several feet in front of the barrier, says all vehicles higher than the 8-foot-6 threshold must turn left.

Three people were at hospitals in critical condition. The other 27 surviving passengers were hurt, but their injuries were less extensive, authorities said.

One man died at the scene; the second died later at a hospital.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I'm sorry to hear this, how sad!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Malsonilla, I know it is fun to poke fun at the Watchtower but people lost their lives. Try to show a little respect.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

very sad

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

I am absolutely disgusted personally with anyone here trying to push an antiwatchtower agenda at this. People lost their lives in a tragic accident due to driver incompetence. Show some respect.

I am not an apologist, I have as much disgust for many things WT as anyone else here, but this is not the appropriate thread for this. Get over yourselves.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

bridges and high vehicles...the drivers ALWAYS think they will fit,

i watched a video recently of a bridge in the UK with 3km of warning signs before it and still one vehicle wipes itself out each month including caravans and BUSES.

OZ

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

You just do not know how to be respectful, enough said!

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

Thank you Iamallcool. I wrote 5 responses but could not put it without lowering myself to violating some of Simons guidelines. Your explanation is correct.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I saw a picture of the bus stuck under the overpass - you would have to be darn near legally blind to miss the warning signs. I guess the driver was really flustered or panicky or something. The article also said that the company only owned 3 busses, so I guess they were little more than a mom & pop operation. The regular bus drivers who do the airport routes seem to know the area well enough to drive it blindfolded.

• DubR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit