Looking After Widows and Orphans... and Spending One's "Riches"

by AGuest 136 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Yawn. Notice to former JWs: We have a proven tendency to legitimize false authority. Beware other claimers of visions and correct interpretations. A WT bt another name is still a dangerous cult. End of box warning.

Ho. Hum.

• LV101
    LV101

The other end of the scale is doubting any religion while some out there do good although it's been so many years since I was a church-attender what do I know. The witnesses never considered me a witness because I wouldn't believe most of the garbage (was vocal about) nor give up my own life and attended when convenient according to my social calendar --- not good point-making in a cult.

I think few would fall for false authority --- even the ones who were heavies in watchtower.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

AnneB, that's a very nice post.

Yes, I too find Shelby's posts make me think, and also that by reading with an open and receptive mind...not unquestioningly by any means...I gain fresh understanding which I also willingly share or rather, offer, in case it's useful to anyone else. Shelby's posts are good. Generous and not in the least seeking obedience or acceptance, as some have stated. I'm very glad you find them valuable at least in part, maybe, too.

Band, Shelby is no authority, false or otherwise, and nor does she claim to be. No need to worry, she is no WT by another name, nor yet a cult, dangerous or otherwise.

All is well!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

All is well in your world. She expressly claims special authority.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

All is well in your world. She expressly claims special authority.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

@longhairedgirl: why do JWs avoid the dirty work of Christianity and prefer the easy "meeting attendance, field service almost everyone including those with presummed authority " elders and elder-wives enjoy their group following and glory from men?

I've read the Roman Pagans were confounded by the love early Christians displayed to"non-Christian widows and orphans, and elderly cast-aways of the Roman World", something followers of the Watchtower Society would find repulsive!

Dear Aguest: You address issues that every Christian must learn to research, when our Master ask's the reason why "we behaved the way we did?", it's won't be enough to say "I was tricked!" or "The Governing Body told me widows and orphans only applied to former "company men and women"". The book of James is not a easy read, it hurts those Christians who think being a Christian means "attending meetings and placing literature", James preached a message of love backed by Christian efforts!"

St. Peter's message said our Christian conduct was key to winning the opposition over, not driving them away with a pious or self-righteous manner cults use today.

Aguest, how often did you witness Circuit Overseers or Traveling Overseers checking up on widows and orphans, going to resthomes looking up old lost loyal JWs? Peace be with you brother!

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I love the book of James, and the Commentary on it was one of my favourite WT publications. It became derailed on the basis that Ray Franz was so involved in its development. Great recommend in my book! I agree that the enormous study and research that AGuest puts in is of great value to us all. Some are reluctant to acknowledge it but that's not really relevant.

Loz x

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Yeah, I think the Governing Body hates the "Commentary of the Letter Of James" too! Hit's too close to home with their double-talk, and hipocrisy! James cannot be talked away, or watered down and that's why we have never had another updated book!

Ray Franz did a fantastic job on this "shelved" book, one of their books that are not a heaping pile of dung!

Ray Franz and Sam Dunlap went down a "rabbit hole" when working on the "Aid To Bible Understanding" book, the more they worked to match ancient Christianty's qualities, the further they realized the Watchtower's Governing Body were the antithesis of "good Christianity"

Ty cofty! Peace with you Sister Shelby!

• cofty
    cofty

Peace be with you brother!

AGuest is your sister - she is called Shelby.

Carry on.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ARBOLES:

The religion has no real desire to get their hands dirty doing any REAL christian works! That's grunt work better left to women. Right? This religion (like most others) wants prominence, material benefits, etc. You get the picture.

As I mentioned to the other poster, I don't see the point comparing the ancient biblical world to the modern one, since the whole planet is different. However, if some group or religion wanted to act in a way that resembles anything christian, they would have to show that they can benefit the community around them in some way. In this regard, the JW religion is a dismal failure as they do NOT benefit the world around them. And saying they offer bible studies doesn't cut it as far as I am concerned. If a religion is tax exempt they should have to offer a tangible benefit to the community around them.

If not, what purpose do they serve?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit