I've started writing my book...

by cedars 84 Replies latest members private

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

I've decided to bite the bullet and start writing my book. More specifically, I'm currently writing a book proposal which will include a sample chapter. My aim is to try and get a deal with a publisher first, and if that falls through I can always write the book anyway and go down the self-publishing route.

I'm very mindful that, in writing a book about Jehovah's Witnesses, I'm going down a well-trodden path. I was astonished the other day when I saw how many JW-related books were for sale on Amazon. However, I genuinely believe mine can be a bit different if I do things properly. In particular, I'm not aware of any Jehovah's Witness writing a book that is critical of the organization while they are still technically affiliated with it. I regard this as my "unique selling point", namely the fact that this book being written and published will inevitably get me disfellowshipped, since I will be publishing under my real name. This is something I intend to make very clear in the book, namely that I will face consequences for speaking out. I hope that this alone will help to inform the wider public of just how cult-like Jehovah's Witnesses are.

I should mention that I will be primarily writing the book with the wider public in mind, and writing in a way that they can hopefully grasp things and empathize with our plight. I will, however, be writing with one eye on existing JWs in an attempt to appeal to their common sense.

Anyway, I would appreciate it if anyone could provide pointers. I know there are a few writers on this forum, and I would especially value their input. Generally, I would love to hear what sort of thing people would like to see in a new JW book, perhaps that hasn't been done before.

Obviously there have been a number of developments in the past few months that, for obvious reasons, aren't in any existing JW books. Aside from writing about these, how can I approach this subject differently?

Cedars

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Hey Cedars,

Perhaps taking a broader viewpoint than just JW's will make it more appealing to others. Part personal story, part criticism of the JW's unknown at large practices, and part commentary on what allows people to act against their own conscience and the control of social structure.

Think part Malcom Gladwell, part biography, and part Hassan.

While everyone here is interested in what you have to say, getting these things out to a larger audience could require some give and take.

• cedars
    cedars

Great suggestion problemaddict, I'll give that some thought.

Cedars

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I'm pulling for you, Cedars.

I think one key factor is to have a really good sense of your target audience. It might enhance value to write about your personal experience with JWs, but add ways it could generalize to harmful religious practices or cults in general, things that are of value to a broader audience as Problemaddict says. Work for readability and ways to engage the reader from the outset. I would suggest not getting overly technical in the body of the work, although you can reference and footnote things you want to expand on. Simplicity tends to stick with most readers. Pick several salient points to focus on so that you have a consistent message woven throughout.

Try to view everything you write through the lens of "is this interesting to anyone else besides me or my small group?"

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Good news! I can't wait for the book to be available.

As for suggestions, I don't have much to add, perhaps the only thing being a personal preference. I like to see work that draws a clear distinction between Jehovah's Witnessses and their leadership. I believe that most Witnesses are good people, but are seriously mislead by an Organization that has become expert at deception, lying, manipulation. Any book that appeals to Witnesses is likely to get the attention of some of them.

I wish you success.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

writing a book like that while still active, is bold. I fear the 2nd addition will include the chaper: "my Disfellowshiping"

Can't wait to see the book. Hope someone pics it up

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Good Luck, Cedars. I wish you All The Best!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Wishing you the best - I will buy a first edition on the proviso you sign it!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Cedars, good for you. If you write under your own name and are successful in getting a book deal you'll probably be disfellowshipped long before it's published.

I think the dual audience idea is a good one: trying to reach not only those still-in, but also appeal to the general public.

Keep us posted!

00DAD

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I actually am writing a script with a character that is/was a JW. VERY interesting stuff to work with on the character developement angle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit